No announcement yet.

Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking good! I planted oats a couple weeks ago. The rain on Sunday and on Tuesday should really get them growing. I will take some pictures when I'm out there this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
      Looking good! I planted oats a couple weeks ago. The rain on Sunday and on Tuesday should really get them growing. I will take some pictures when I'm out there this weekend.
      Yep post em up! Regular bob oats or forage oats?

Tapachat

Comment

Just regular seed oats that my dad picked up at the feed store. I normally use the feed oats, but he was buying and thats what he picked up

Comment

The road feeder I used to broad cast them did not do a great job. I might use a spreader like yours next year. You can see what I'm talking about in the GC picture from this morning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350578282.226315.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	24129771

Comment

Looks great

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
              The road feeder I used to broad cast them did not do a great job. I might use a spreader like yours next year. You can see what I'm talking about in the GC picture from this morning.

[ATTACH]407471[/ATTACH]
              Yep I have a few small bare spots in my plots but nothing major. I may go ahead and overseed in those spots.
              I use just a lawn spreader and it works well on medium to large seeds like oats, peas, and radishes. For clover I hand broadcast up in the air and let the wind do its thing....lol. I probably should invest in a hand crank spreader for the smaller seeds.

I'll tell you the best piece of equipment I have is a cultipacker. Its amazing how it helps get seed to soil contact. They are awfully hard to find down here in Texas though.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                Yep I have a few small bare spots in my plots but nothing major. I may go ahead and overseed in those spots.
                I use just a lawn spreader and it works well on medium to large seeds like oats, peas, and radishes. For clover I hand broadcast up in the air and let the wind do its thing....lol. I probably should invest in a hand crank spreader for the smaller seeds.

I'll tell you the best piece of equipment I have is a cultipacker. Its amazing how it helps get seed to soil contact. They are awfully hard to find down here in Texas though.
                I've never seen a cultipacker around here. I used a chain drag to cover the oats in the post oak sand and ran the disc over the oats in the black land plot.

Comment

I checked the plots this morning to see if they were eating it more....

They are starting the really mow down the oats! These are bob oats...not forage oats. They are squaring off the ends pretty well.

And they have started eating on the radishes too...

Last edited by unclefish; 10-21-2012, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Looking good. Mine are growing and looks like the deer are eating them.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350859388.020717.jpg
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	24130694

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350859439.933661.jpg
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	24130695

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350859461.835771.jpg
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	24130696

Comment

Looks good Stolle!

One thing I tried to do this year (but it didn't turn out well so far)...was to plant a screen around my plots so the deer would feel more comfortable eating during daylight hours. I planted some switchgrass (grows 7-8 feet tall and thick) and haygrazer. My place went thru a little mini drought in the early summer and it didn't do well. Switchgrass plantings always does better the second year once it can establish itself.
                      I'm going to frost seed some more switchgrass in late winter to provide even more screen for the plots.

Comment

Looks good Stolle!

One thing I tried to do this year (but it didn't turn out well so far)...was to plant a screen around my plots so the deer would feel more comfortable eating during daylight hours. I planted some switchgrass (grows 7-8 feet tall and thick) and haygrazer. My place went thru a little mini drought in the early summer and it didn't do well. Switchgrass plantings always does better the second year once it can establish itself.
                        I'm going to frost seed some more switchgrass in late winter to provide even more screen for the plots.
                        I have been thinking of doing that same thing so its a smooth transition to the food plots instead from harcover to open land. My oats were planted three weeks ago.
                        Here are some progression pics

Last edited by BIG BONE; 12-11-2020, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Oooops the last three pics are in this order.
                          [ATTACH]409065[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH]409067[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH]409068[/ATTACH]
                          Last edited by BIG BONE; 12-11-2020, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Looks good Stickinpigs. That slow soaker we got last week was awesome for the plots. One more good one like that would be nice.

For planting stuff like switchgrass (which is a perennial native warm season grass) the prep work has to be done now. Start nuking the are you're gonna plant with Gly.

Comment

Looks good Stickinpigs. That slow soaker we got last week was awesome for the plots. One more good one like that would be nice.

For planting stuff like switchgrass (which is a perennial native warm season grass) the prep work has to be done now. Start nuking the are you're gonna plant with Gly.
                              Thx
                              Will do

Comment

Gotta love it.....

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1351290389602.jpg
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	24133608

There is a feeder 50 yards from this plot but they love the clover.

Tapachat

Comment

Working...
                                X