Group hunts are the best fun!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been organizing a spring javelina/hog hunt for the last several years. Myself, Arky and his two sons, and BDann are the core group, and the last spot has changed a bit from year to year. This year, that sixth spot went to SwampRabbit. Here is a pic of the 2018 group:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0781.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	25139659

More to come......

Good luck guys!

Comment

Get em guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree with you brother groups are great fun

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Once the dates were set, and the deposits paid, then the wait started! The closer it got to March 1st, the more anticipation everyone was feeling. We headed south on Thursday, and met up at the HEB in Pearsall, where we bought groceries and corn for the hunt. We then met up with our host Mark at a gas station in Dilly, and he led us to the ranch. This place is waaaaaay remote, and almost impossible to find on your own.

After getting our stuff unloaded and things situated, we ventured out into the pasture to corn out some roads for the morning hunt.

Friday started out real slow. The critters just did not seem to want to move very much, and I was getting worried that the new guy (SwampRabbit) might start thinking I was nuts for how much I talked up this place! SwampRabbit and me hunted in blinds in the early morning, but did not see anything. Nathan and his son Cott sat together over a feeder. They saw some pigs. Cott got a shot, but missed, and Nathan also missed when trying to shoot one after Cott shot at them. We came back to camp for food, and then hit the roads again. Later in the afternoon, the javies finally woke up and started coming out in several different roads. There were lots of critters taken in the afternoon on Friday.

I got my first javi of the hunt:

Name:	IMG_0714.jpg
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	24531610

As did SwampRabbit, Arky, and BDann:

Name:	IMG_0717.JPG
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	24531611

Name:	IMG_0773.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	24531612

And then there was the special one of the hunt! Cott, who is Nathan's 11yo son, got his first big game critter with a stickbow! It was a dang nice sow:

Name:	IMG_0774.jpg
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	24531613

And turned out to be the biggest critter taken on this hunt! A little trick photography makes it look even a little bit bigger than it was!

Name:	IMG_0718.jpg
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	24531614

We love to hunt under the moonlight for feral pigs, so we struck out after dark to cruise the roads. We saw lots of pigs, and got a lot of stalks, but none worked out, and no pigs were harmed in the dark!!!

Saturday was a much more critter active day all day! We hunted the blinds early. I got a shot at a small sow with a broken leg. I was in a popup, and had to cant the bow pretty hard to keep from hitting the top of the blind. Anyway, I hit her too far back, and did not end up recovering her.

After not finding the hog, I decided to go re-corn the roads in anticipation of more javi hunting. As I as doing so, I rounded a curve in the road to see one lone javi waaaaaaay off down the road. I closed about half the distance in the ranger, then finished off the stalk on foot. I finally got to within about 15yds and took my shot. It was true, and I was tagged out on javies for this year!

Name:	IMG_0742.JPG
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	24531615

Everyone was in critters, and getting stalks!

Nathan (Arky), Scott (SwampRabbit), and Brian (BDann) all got there second javies in the afternoon also:

Name:	IMG_0777.JPG
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	24531616

Name:	Scott javi 2.jpg
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	24531618

Name:	IMG_0790.jpg
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	24531619

But, there was another special kill on Saturday! Lane, who is Nathan's oldest boy, got his first pig on our hunt last year. He followed up that with his first spot-n-stalk javi this year!!!

Name:	IMG_0776.JPG
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	24531617

The night hunting on Saturday night was not good at all, as it was too cloudy, and it was too hard to see the pigs.

I think, in all the years we have been doing this hunt, this is the first year we have had good weather for the whole weekend!

Anyway, like the title says, the group hunts with great friends are some of the best hunts there are! Congrats to all my friends on this hunt, and I can't wait for our next adventure! And a BIG thanks to our hosts, Mark and Richard, for giving us the opportunity to hunt on such a great place!!!!!

Bisch
          Last edited by Bisch; 03-05-2018, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Wow! Awesome trip. Congrats to yall!

Comment

Man, that looks fun. Any chance you"ll share the name of the Outfitter?

Comment

Congratulations to all y'all.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sooner6969 View Post
                  Man, that looks fun. Any chance you"ll share the name of the Outfitter?
                  Sorry, we don't have an outfitter. This is a place where they only run 2 hunts per year, and both are taken by the same groups every year.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                    Sorry, we don't have an outfitter. This is a place where they only run 2 hunts per year, and both are taken by the same groups every year.

Bisch
                    All the better! Best of luck in the years to come. Love me some group hunts, thanks for sharing.

Comment

These guys are a pleasure to host. I am amazed that they can get close enough with stick and string to cleanly harvest Javi’s and pigs. It is very special to play a part in Lane and Cotts first animals. Those two are competitors but Little Cott show up EVERYONE this year. Now if he could just grow a bit so I don’t have to drag his pig back 150 yards to the road[emoji4] Glad everyone had a fun and safe time. Look forward to next year!

Mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Comment

Once Brian tagged out on Javi’s I put him in a blind for pigs. As luck would have it he was overrun with Javi’s. All he could do was throw rocks and take pics

Comment

Lane was trying to be patient and get these pigs a little closer for a shot.

Comment

very cool pictures!

Comment

Working...
                              X