Dust!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
    Quit driving around in vehicles, walk everywhere, minimal dust-problem solved.

Ha. Thanks for your insight. Never thought of that

Comment

Just part of the deal up here. I've hunted in blowing dirt and wind my whole life. Worst thing you can do is have everything swimming in oil and lube. Basically that just attracts the dust/sand and turns it into lapping compound. Go light on lube, hunt, and blow it down at night with compressed air.

Comment

It's West Texas. Clean your stuff when you're done hunting.

Comment

I don’t even worry about it anymore. I carry mine in the open on my golf cart and they get dirty. I’ve not found a good way to keep them clean. I just clean them really well after season.

If I have to worry about some dust causing an equipment malfunction I don’t want that gun anyway.

None of mine are safe queens, they get used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

All my guns get used and I’m pretty hard on them. I don’t baby them by any means. But I do take care of them. Y’all don’t realize how bad the dust is at this place. On or about day 3 we can’t even hardly sleep because we are all stopped up over it. It takes a week for the nasal passages to get back to normal. But for the guns it’s so fine a normal cleaning won’t get it. I have two boys and a wife that hunts. I’ll have 4 rifles to take completely down at the end of the season. I’m just looking for ideas to mitigate the level of dust exposure some.

Comment

We just keep ours in a soft case. I'd rather prolong the life of my rifle than worry about getting a shot on something running across the road.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                I know exactly what you are dealing with. That red dust out there is the one of the major reasons I ditched side x sides/atv's and went to a jeep cherokee for lease rides. Only thing that I found that will work is a Pelican case with real seals. Dust will get into everything else.
                Same here and I also have a Pelican for this purpose. When the hunt is done I use a can of Ultra Duster, wind in a can that works pretty good clearing the "hard to reach" nooks. My TBH son has a Ford Ranger ole' truck, sissie needs his truck heater/ac, but even with the windows up his stuff is dusted almost as bad as my UTV.

Comment

Dust!

Originally posted by russcat View Post
                  All my guns get used and I’m pretty hard on them. I don’t baby them by any means. But I do take care of them. Y’all don’t realize how bad the dust is at this place. On or about day 3 we can’t even hardly sleep because we are all stopped up over it. It takes a week for the nasal passages to get back to normal. But for the guns it’s so fine a normal cleaning won’t get it. I have two boys and a wife that hunts. I’ll have 4 rifles to take completely down at the end of the season. I’m just looking for ideas to mitigate the level of dust exposure some.

I can assure you our place is extremely dusty. I can take a gun or bow that’s completely clean and after 1 day they are completely covered in dust.

As I said I quit fretting over it. Guns I use work just as good dirty as clean. Protect your optics as best you can and hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  Last edited by Mike D; 12-06-2017, 05:21 PM.

Comment

You must be new to the area.

We hunt very close to each other. Probably not more than 15 miles apart from where you described.

When it's hot here it's hotter than H^$*.
                    When its cold here it's colder than S@$*.
                    When the wind blows here it blows like a son of a #%^&.
                    When the wind doesn't blow you can fart and hear it a mile away.
                    When it is dry it's a dust bowl.
                    When it rains or snows everything turns red!
                    I'm sure I left something out.

I really like hunting up here. You just never know what mother natures gonna throw at ya

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                      You must be new to the area.

We hunt very close to each other. Probably not more than 15 miles apart from where you described.

When it's hot here it's hotter than H^$*.

When its cold here it's colder than S@$*.

When the wind blows here it blows like a son of a #%^&.

When the wind doesn't blow you can fart and hear it a mile away.

When it is dry it's a dust bowl.

When it rains or snows everything turns red!

I'm sure I left something out.

I really like hunting up here. You just never know what mother natures gonna throw at ya

Yep this is my first year at electra. I hunted north of Vernon up by the river a couple of years but that dirt was more like beachy sand. This electra dirt is deep red and....DUSTY!

Comment

A lot of good ideas here.
                        I didn't see anyone mention the windshield on your Ranger. Take it off when it's dusty. Only use when it's wet. Will make a big difference.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

The fine white limestone dust on my lease in Sutton County is the worst I've ever encountered. It cakes EVERYTHING in a thick white layer that is really hard to wash off. Driving around is, by far, the worst thing to do. Of course, some of that is necessary. But it sure does stir up a boat load of dust.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowyer View Post
                            A lot of good ideas here.
                            I didn't see anyone mention the windshield on your Ranger. Take it off when it's dusty. Only use when it's wet. Will make a big difference.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I’ve heard that too. My windshield folds down forward. I tried leaving it open all weekend and didn’t notice any difference. I was sure hoping that would help.

Thanks for all the great ideas. Keepem coming.

Comment

Working...
                            X