No announcement yet.

Metal Roof.. Am I crazy????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did this on a 1997 trailer home. Over shingles with screeds. R panel, galvalume. House is much cooler too. Shingle folks said don't do it, that the roof needed to breathe. BS

Comment

I recently had a metal roof installed. Bought the R panel from Mueller, they sent a guy out to measure and figured exactly what I needed. Had another guy take off the shingles and tarpaper, install new underlayment, treated 2x4 stringers, foam board, and metal. Couldn't be happier with it.

Comment

Metal Roof.. Am I crazy????

I'm no expert but have put on a couple metal roofs. You should have no problems if a few considerations are done correctly. Putting your stringers on the right length apart. All depends on thickness of sheeting. Second is to make sure when you put stringers on that they go into the structural support members of the original roof. Use long deck screws. Third is to make sure the first metal panel is square with your house since the reveals at the edge will show. You can get out of square or adjust but each sheet is like 1/16-1/18 increments. Make sure you order panels precut to correct size. There is a tack strip to join the panels together to keep panels together. Fourth have a ridge vent as you will be capping last. Before capping bend top of the flat areas 90 degrees from ground with bull nose pliers. This helps a lot to keep rain water from being blown over the ridge cap. Predrill laps on sheets where they lap. When screwing down the sheets don't over tighten or burn the rubber gasket.

Three people should be plenty to do this in two days. One person on the ground and two up top.
        IMO the these are the most important factors.
        Last edited by triple_duece; 06-07-2017, 04:00 PM.

Comment

I put the metal roof on my house and saved around $6500 from the best quote that I got from the so called professionals.

Comment

I'm planning on putting the roof up the weekend of July 8th and 9th.
            Couple more questions.

Between the ridge and the eve how far apart should I space the 1x4 Stringers?

Should the 1x4s be treated?

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
              Couple more questions.

I have heard that the new treated wood reacts with the metal and will cause it to fail

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Couple more questions.

Matt Risinger (builder out of Austin) uses regular 1x4's not treated. Im not sure of exact spacing but look at the metal manufacturers screw spacing recommendation. That will give you an idea.

Check out his video...it doesnt say spacing but you can get the idea.
                Matts a huge fan of metal roofing. In this video he'll give you a few reasons why he likes them and show you his favorite system!https://www.instagram.com/ri...

Comment

Couple more questions.

Use regular 1x4s. If you use treated and don't use the proper screws that are coated for treated lumber they will rust out over time due the chemicals in the treated lumber.

Comment

Originally posted by TxTechBowhunter View Post
                    Use regular 1x4s. If you use treated and don't use the proper screws that are coated for treated lumber they will rust out over time due the chemicals in the treated lumber.

Thanks! I didn't know that.

Comment

I don't know how many I've done on trailers. It's easy man, just take your time and measure ahead on every sheet. Make 3' center mark at the top and bottom and cheat the sheets ahead or back as needed. As mentioned, use standard #2 1x4's and not treated. Screw them down with 2" deck screws so that it goes through the 1x4, and all the way through the decking. Use 2" again on the roof screws. Cinch them down until the neoprene washer expands but don't over tighten. If and when you do strip one, mark it with a pencil and put come silicone caulking around the screw head. One step that a lot of people don't do is sweep the roof when you're finished. That'll get the small metal shavings off and keep it from rusting around the screw head and causing potential leaks in the future. If you're using R panel DO NOT forget the seal tape on top of the highs at the laps.

The biggest issue that you'll likely face is cutting out around the vents in the roof. Measure several times and take your time when you cut with snips. Caulk around it when finished. Take a piece of the cut off tin to Lowes and match it as close as you can and paint the caulking.

Comment

Did you ever do this?

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
                          Did you ever do this?
                          Not yet. I was gearing up to do it in July and realized that was one of my dumber ideas so I decided to hold off and do it after deer season. I've done all the research and gotten prices and I feel pretty comfortable about doing it.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Comment

Done a couple the same way, piece of cake.

Comment

Working...
                            X