No announcement yet.

I'm Done With Deer Processing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My family has done our own venison sausage for 30 years.

I'm about to start butchering and doing my own steaks, chops, etc. Haven't been real happy with any of the processors I've tried and always been skeptical if those packs of venison were actually *my* deer or just a collection of packages from the big pile of customers.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
      I buy briskets when HEB puts them on sale and go about 50/50 but not exact. I just weigh the deer then buy as many briskets as I need to cover that and error on the side of more beef.
      Do you use a trimmed one or just cube a whole one?

Comment

I do both, depends on how busy I am at the time I put something on the ground. Last year, I took it to a processor. They did a great job and the price was reasonable.

This year, I did my own. I enjoy the process and find it rewarding, but sometimes it just isn't feasible.

I've also kept the meat on ice for 5-7 days and then deboned it and froze the meat for grinding and any other processing later. That works well too and can be easier if you don't have time to do the whole job at once.

D

Comment

Ive done all my own for 10-12 years. Did most the processing for a place in town when they were open. Miss using his grinder, stuffer, and smoker but way better than $200+ tickets for a hill country deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've done my own the last few years and to me it brings the whole process full circle.
            Must appeal to the caveman in me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bazo View Post
              I've been thinking about doing this too. What's the mix ratio when making burger out of deer?
              It's a matter of taste, but fat is also needed to keep the meat from sticking to the pan when cooking (browning it) in the pan, and to keep the deer burgers sticking together when grilling. We buy the bacon ends and pieces from the grocery store (HEB) and add about 3-4 oz. to every pound of ground deer. After shooting my first young hog, I'm thinking about leaving most of the fat on the hindquarters and smoking it. Once the meat has cooked, I'm thinking about cleaning the fat off of the smoked hindquarters and adding that to the ground venison instead of the bacon ends and pieces.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Bazo View Post
                Do you use a trimmed one or just cube a whole one?
                I buy untrimmed and cut off/discard the hard fat that won't render almost like I am trimming it to smoke then just cube it up.

Comment

Made the same decision about 10 years ago after waiting in line 25 minutes to drop off a deer at THE processing place in Dallas. I watched my deer get put in a pile with a whole bunch of deer that had ridden in the beds of pickups from South Texas. Knew I would never get my deer back.

Did some research and took some cues from Mesquite Country's excellent thread on sausage making. Never looked back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
                    the rest was hamburger and steaks which only takes seconds to cut and package.
                    I'd like to see you cut, grind and package a deer in "seconds."

I enjoy the process for the most part and share the "full circle" sentiment, but my time is getting more and more valuable and I'm happy with the trade-off sometimes.
                    Last edited by meltingfeather; 12-01-2017, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Calrob View Post
                      Ive got a hand crank grinder too.... took the handle off, put a belt and a chevy alternator on it. Its electric now!
                      How does this work? An alternator is driven by another motor to charge the battery. By itself, I would think you would be looking at something that will not turn anything??

Comment

I started processing my own 4 years ago or so. The equipment, ingredients, materials etc... I bought that first year was probably still about 1/2 of what I would have paid a processor. That said if I figured in labor that wouldn't have been the case lol. It is definitely some work especially processing 1/2 dozen or so by yourself.

Comment

Yep been doing ours for a while now. Get some buddies and beer and have a good ole time with it. Hard part is finding a good seasoning recipe and mix ratio you like. We do 50/50 mix, and buy pork buts when they are on sale

We didn’t smoke our sausage for a few years, even though we have a cold smoker now we still don’t smoke a whole lot of it. Our way of thinking is your gonna get smoke on it when you grill it so no need to double smoke it.

Comment

I pay someone to mow my yard. I pay someone to process my deer. These are two things I find zero joy in doing.

Comment

Buy yourself a new grinder for Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                                How does this work? An alternator is driven by another motor to charge the battery. By itself, I would think you would be looking at something that will not turn anything??
                                Maybe its charging his cranking arm but I wondered the same.

I assume hes actually got and electric motor on it

Comment

Working...
                                X