No announcement yet.

Minimum longbow poundage for whitetail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nobody will talk about all the wounded ones that don't get posted or found. Just saying.
    It is a personal choice. However there is no shame in killing deer with a compound. Or even a rifle for that matter.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
      Nobody will talk about all the wounded ones that don't get posted or found. Just saying.
      It is a personal choice. However there is no shame in killing deer with a compound. Or even a rifle for that matter.

If a critter is lost, it more than likely was not due to someone using a 40# bow, but way more than likely due to a crappy shot, or unforeseen circumstances. A crappy shot is a crappy shot, no matter the draw weight!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

That's true but a shoulder shot with adequate poundage is more likely to get in the vitals. A deer that turns as you shoot and gets hit back is more likely to at least get a liver and a lung if you have adequate energy. I just don't buy into bowhunting with light poundage bows. Whether trad or compound.
        I wouldn't hunt with a trad bow less than 40lbs st my dl and I wouldn't shoot over 12 yards at that poundage.
        Even at 50lbs I wouldn't shoot past 20.
        As I said it's a personal choice. But I need a good blood trail and that means two holes as often as possible.

Last edited by DRT; 07-10-2018, 07:03 PM.

Comment

And yes, uncle Ted is wrong and he makes crappy shots.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
            If a critter is lost, it more than likely was not due to someone using a 40# bow, but way more than likely due to a crappy shot, or unforeseen circumstances. A crappy shot is a crappy shot, no matter the draw weight!

Bisch

This!

I wounded/lost/missed four times as many deer than I recovered with my compound. One was a weird blood trail that crossed itself multiple times over a 300 yard range and eventually got called off due to a thunderstorm. Two misses because I wasn't patient and one wounded for the same reason.

I can look back at the majority of my bad encounters with critters and a bow, and not once did it have anything to do with the draw weight or tune of my bow. It all had to do with inexperience or questionable judgement calls or just bad luck.

Comment

Good luck in your recovery from surgery. Follow your doctors orders and be faithful to the physical therapy. A good physical therapist can do wonders for you. I had a similar situation a couple of years ago with a torn rotator cuff. I got a 40lb bow as a rehab bow. Worked up gradually and shot 46lbs last hunting season. 40 lb bows can do the job for sure. Keep up with the physical therapy. My physical therapist knew nothing about archery so I brought my bow to the PT and she tailored some excercises for the bow. I have kept up with the excercises and am now back shooting 50 pounds more easily than I have in a long while and continuing to work towards 55lb. Bottom line is keep up with your PT and don't be afraid of 40lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post

Bisch

Yep. In 32 years I have lost 4 deer. 3 with a compound (60#-70#), one with a recurve (65#). All were my fault. I made a bad shot, shot alert deer, etc. One was with a Rocket mini-blaster mechanical with the o-ring and I found the arrow with the o-ring still up on the blades, I can't explain that one. But even that was my fault for choosing that mechanical. I will never blame my equipment. I am sure that deer died but PA did not allow tracking dogs and the blood trail was non-existent. I will not hesitate to hunt with a light longbow or recurve with good arrow and broadhead choices. But we all have to make our own choices and shoot what we are confident with shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by 76aggie View Post
                  Good luck in your recovery from surgery. Follow your doctors orders and be faithful to the physical therapy. A good physical therapist can do wonders for you. I had a similar situation a couple of years ago with a torn rotator cuff. I got a 40lb bow as a rehab bow. Worked up gradually and shot 46lbs last hunting season. 40 lb bows can do the job for sure. Keep up with the physical therapy. My physical therapist knew nothing about archery so I brought my bow to the PT and she tailored some excercises for the bow. I have kept up with the excercises and am now back shooting 50 pounds more easily than I have in a long while and continuing to work towards 55lb. Bottom line is keep up with your PT and don't be afraid of 40lbs.
                  Thank you...will do. Surgeon was impressed with my recovery so far and will revisit in another three weeks...before beginning light strength training. He was optimistic that I might not need physical therapy due to my overall progress...we shall see.

Comment

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
                    Yep. In 32 years I have lost 4 deer. 3 with a compound (60#-70#), one with a recurve (65#). All were my fault. I made a bad shot, shot alert deer, etc. One was with a Rocket mini-blaster mechanical with the o-ring and I found the arrow with the o-ring still up on the blades, I can't explain that one. But even that was my fault for choosing that mechanical. I will never blame my equipment. I am sure that deer died but PA did not allow tracking dogs and the blood trail was non-existent. I will not hesitate to hunt with a light longbow or recurve with good arrow and broadhead choices. But we all have to make our own choices and shoot what we are confident with shooting.
                    Funny. I still have the first package of broadheads I ever purchased......late summer 2014...mechanicals...unopened...still sealed in plastic...Rage somethingerrothers. I lost sleep the night before my first archery hunt thinking of all the scenarios of failure and the mechs opening before impact kept coming up. (Bisch... you may not remember, but you were chootin at Double G at the time.) I sat that next morning, held back on opportunities, then promptly went and bought some Montec G5s COCs. Killed my first archery deer...8pt buck...the following morning shooting a right handed compound left handed...with confidence...and a kbar.

I passed on Chucks sweet deal...Thanks for the opportunity Chuck.

Im gonna stay on the 35#ish@28 longbow trail...so I can share the bow with my novice archers.
                    Last edited by Briar Friar; 07-12-2018, 11:51 AM.

Comment

I have a friend with shoulder problems who has hunted for years with a 32# longbow. Kills regularly. Of course he keeps his shot to less than 15 yards. Lightest I've hunted with is 38#. Kill'm stone dead.

Comment

I've hunted with compounds and 70-80 lb recurves for about 40 years now. I haven't shot a light weight bow since I was a kid. But hard living and some injuries along with getting older have forced me down to 50 lbs. I just bought some 35 lb limbs for a sage recurve and love them. I really can't see much difference in penetration in my target. I wouldn't hesitate taking a perfect shot at 15 paces with it. I will most likely get some 40 limbs because I shoot so much more accurate with the lighter poundage. I plan on keeping arrows around 10 gpp and sharp 2 blade broadheads. I'll take accuracy in bowhunting over poundage and let shot placement and the broadhead do it's work.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by muddydog View Post
                          I've hunted with compounds and 70-80 lb recurves for about 40 years now. I haven't shot a light weight bow since I was a kid. But hard living and some injuries along with getting older have forced me down to 50 lbs. I just bought some 35 lb limbs for a sage recurve and love them. I really can't see much difference in penetration in my target. I wouldn't hesitate taking a perfect shot at 15 paces with it. I will most likely get some 40 limbs because I shoot so much more accurate with the lighter poundage. I plan on keeping arrows around 10 gpp and sharp 2 blade broadheads. I'll take accuracy in bowhunting over poundage and let shot placement and the broadhead do it's work.

I want to add that I don't think 35 lbs is ideal or better for hunting than 50 lbs. I do think that 35 lbs will kill a deer all day long if the arrow goes where it's supposed to be. There's alot of advantages with lighter poundage. Most people will be more accurate.As any experienced bowhunter will tell you. Shoot the heaviest draw you can shoot accurately. Be it 35 lbs or 100 lbs.

Comment

That's the tricky part. Making that perfect shot. Greater energy gives some room for error. Just like a wider blade cut, a single bevel head etc.
                            Personally I need a little insurance.

Comment

I'm also the guy who doesn't advocate shooting pigs with a .17HMR. I don't expect everyone to agree with me.

Comment

A high performance 40 will shoot the same arrow faster than a lower performance 45-50 pound bow. Ive chrono'd a ton of bows and have had several light bows that would outperform heavier bows all day long, so you are loosing nothing but draw weight

Comment

Working...
                                X