Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost Got it done in Grayson Co.

Almost Got it Done.

I finally patterned my Big Buck. Cams show he comes in every Tuesday. For the last month it's been that way. Bids at work, Jury Duty, Sickness.... I haven't been able to go but he was there during daylight hours only on Tuesdays. I finally was free this week and healthy. I put in my leave request yesterday and got off today. I woke at 4:20 took my scent free shower and put on my base layers. I headed to the lease. I stopped in the parking lot of the closest country store and finished suiting up. Got there at 6:05. 22 degrees. Climbed in to the stand after a little crunchy walk over the frosty leaves. At 7:15 the feeder goes off. Within 5 minutes I catch movement over my right shoulder East of my feeder and see legs crossing the path. I wait 15 mins and the tall 3 yr old 9 pt steps out into the road on the other side West of the feeder. He looks toward me and the feeder but decides to keep going. He walks back to the south. I waited about 10 more minutes and he never showed. Nature was calling so I gave in and stood up and heeded the call. As I was bundling back up I looked over my shoulder to the West to see my Big Buck coming down the road toward the feeder about 80 yards out. Then out stepped another smaller buck behind him about 40 yards further. Big one was acting all dominate swaying his head as he walked posturing to let the other one know he was the boss. Little one stayed back. What and awesome show. I slowly got turned around as he came directly toward me. Hadn't had time to get zipped or buckled back up or get my gloves back on. I got my bow off the hanger on the third attempt and was in position. He's steadily coming closing the distance. I hooked up my release and watched. He made it to the back of the feeder pen and hung up at 35yds. Chip shot. He stopped behind a 6 ft cedar. I came to full draw expecting him to take a couple steps into the clear. He sensed something wasn't right. The wind was very light and from the south he was west of the feeder and I was east of it. I think he must have been looking through the branches toward the feeder and saw movement as I drew. So he spun and took about six steps back the way he had come into the wide open and broadside. I settled my 40 yd pin on his vitals and let the arrow fly. I watched as it reached him on a downward trajectory. I was lined up perfectly to hit behind his front leg but was short and missed just under his chest. Clean miss. He didn't snort or blow and bounded off. Didn't haul butt. But he left and so did the other one. I'm dejected, but it was the first time I've seen him live this year. I successfully patterned him and got the chance. I don't think he is spooked too bad and may get another chance at him before season ends. It was a great hunt. I thank God for the opportunity and give him the praise for it. I'm not done. Headed back out this evening. It's still Tuesday and he didn't eat this morning. Maybe he will come back. I could easily woulda coulda shoulda myself to death and did some of that on the way home, but that won't change things or put him in my truck. I love bowhunting!!!! Here's the latest Pic I have.
    Last edited by Buckslayertx; 01-04-2017, 03:58 PM.

Dang!! He's a great deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You never forget the close calls. It will be one of your best memories...until you get him.

That's weird how he was coming in every Tuesday

Comment

His doe must have a Tupperware party at their bedding spot on Tuesday evenings.

Comment

Hope you share some LDPs soon!

Comment

Hey man, if all my missed opportunities were piled up, I couldn't haul 'em in a dump truck !

Comment

good luck

Comment

Awesome write up! Good luck getting that guy...

Comment

That's so odd that he only comes on Tuesdays. Wonder what is happening only on Tuesdays that makes him want to head to your feeder. Great story by the way. I hope you get another opportunity to stick him good and put him on your wall. He is worth the effort.

Comment

Did you check with the local Grayson County keyboard biologist to see if he approved of the taking of this buck?

Comment

Beautiful deer. I would have never been able to figure out a deer comes to my stand only on a certain day. Good luck

Comment

Nice story, better luck next time. The next best thing to a clean kill is a clean miss.

Comment

Nice deer. You think maybe he smelled your ****??? I think next Tuesday you should empty your bladder at the country store. [emoji1474]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't think he smelled anything. He was 45 yds from me to the west even with me and what little wind there was from the south. The cedar he stopped behind when I drew was a little sparce on foilage. I thought it was a good time to draw with his head covered but I guess he saw me. Didn't see anything tonight. Guess I know what I'm doing next Tuesday.

Comment

Sounds like you should try again next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                              X