No announcement yet.

LRGV NWR draw hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was out there this weekend for first archery hunt. Had a nilgai cow at about 45 yds, but she was behind a tree and shrub. She also came out downwind of me. She was there 5-10 seconds and bolted back where she came from - I couldn't get a shot. Next morning, I set up in same spot, but further downwind. Well, wouldn't you know. A darn nice 8 pt buck comes out about 5 yds from where I was the day before. Only thing is that he would have been behind me. He was about 50 yds away. Again, he was behind some mesquite trees for a couple of minutes. He was walking towards me, then stopped. rubbed on tree, marked his territory, then took off to the south-east. I tried calling him to stop, but he kept on going. Talked to game warden and he said they've had about 25" of rain in the area and a 10 pt buck was taken from a private ranch close by. They haven't seen much action on the roads. Deer have lots of food and water. Heard a few hogs in the morning but didn't see any. Lots of tracks. Another hunter I talked to said he saw a couple of does and about 20 turkey. Well, got close twice, but no dice. Laguna Atascosa is next. Hopefully I can shoot a stick and harvest over there. Shoot straight and Good Luck!!!

Comment

Will be out there tomorrow AM!

Comment

Will post story later.

Comment

Nice Cow....Bet this rain and cooler weather will have everything moving....Wish I would have been drawn this year

Comment

Congrats on the Nilgai.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Congrats! Nice shot too

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhunter1994 View Post

Will post story later.
                  Congrats on getting it done

Comment

Nice job. I hope for similar results in December.

Comment

Who you be??

Comment

I'm surprised you dodged the rain...I would have bet you had gotten soaked to the bone. It looked solid green on radar all yesterday.

Great eats...congrats. Fed GW says the area needs a thinning, excellent work.

Will post story later.

Comment

Didn't rain much yesterday until about 5:15.

Comment

#2 for me

Comment

Bowhunter1994 you were the Bomb out there this weekend. The hunt was a bust for just about everybody. You definitely did your homework out there. Congratulations! I ended up leaving Saturday afternoon. Good luck again.

Comment

#2 for me
                                Dang! Congrats on the good eats!
                                Last edited by RAGUIRREJR; 11-09-2014, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X