SwampRabbit going live (2017)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SwampGhost View Post
    I hate when my arrow goes in the wrong direction lol. Hang in there Man it’ll happen
    As I am waiting for my order at Whataburger (drowning my sorrows in fast food) I will add more to the story.

Did I mention it was cold as ****? I had my bow in my lap and both hands in my pocket. They were still icecles. My ehen I would grab my bow.. my bow was frozen... it was cold.

Had deer moving behind me and upwind just before sun up... but the feeder would have to throw twice before the yearling doe I had seen there last trip would finally come out.

She milled around for a good 10 minutes before getting on my corn... which was bad because my hands were exposed the entire time.

Then she finally gave me the shot. I drew undetected, settled in and let go of the string.

I was in utter disbelief as I saw my fletching sail over to the left. Was like watching a wild pitch. I have never had an arrow do that... sure I miss by 4"... this was something different. So much so that I said... out loud... in a normal voice... "what the **** was that?"

She clearly didn't hear me though. She didn't know what happened either. She stumbled to a point 30 yards off. Oddly, she showed me my arrow as she went up to sniff it. She eventually came back in... but to the feeder. She never gave me another shot over the next 5 or so minutes.

I am not blaming nerves or anything like that. Wasn't string slap... might have been a limb if I had been leaning over too much and didn't realize it. Could have been a frozen hand release? Whatever it was... it was a freak occurrence. No less frustrating... other than I am grateful it was a clean miss.

Done eating my lunch... time to get back on the road for the long ride home....

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Better a clean miss than a wounded deer.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, on a positive note... at least you're getting to shoot at stuff!!

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
          Well, on a positive note... at least you're getting to shoot at stuff!!
          True

Comment

It happens my friend. As others said, at least it was a clean miss and not a wounded critter. Keep at em!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Scott hang in there my year is going about the same yours I missed and got busted by a good buck. Hang in there.
              Last edited by widdler; 10-29-2017, 06:21 PM.

Comment

It's always a little funny and ironic when they come back to sniff/lick the arrow that had their name on it...has happened to me a time or two

Comment

Sorry for the slow hunt. How does your little cabin do in the cold? Is it insulated? Do you have a space heater?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
                    Sorry for the slow hunt. How does your little cabin do in the cold? Is it insulated? Do you have a space heater?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                    It isn't insulated... I never seem to find time to do it. I seem to have a pretty good routine/setup though. I put an electric blanket on top of my sleeping pad, under my sleeping bag. This warms me up really good, which heats my bag.

I use my buddy heater to heat up the cabin in the morning before I get out of bed. Takes about 5 minutes. I don't like sleeping with it on.

Comment

I had almost the same thing happen on a 140 Class 8pt in Ks. I shot 2’ in front of his chest and I literally laughed out loud and said the same thing you did ��
                      I’ve seen you shoot and know you can put it where it needs to be. Just know your not alone and it happens. I’m like you I’d much rather miss clean than wound one.
                      Keep after them I’m enjoying following along.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampGhost View Post
                        I had almost the same thing happen on a 140 Class 8pt in Ks. I shot 2’ in front of his chest and I literally laughed out loud and said the same thing you did ��
                        I’ve seen you shoot and know you can put it where it needs to be. Just know your not alone and it happens. I’m like you I’d much rather miss clean than wound one.
                        Keep after them I’m enjoying following along.
                        Thanks Corey. I'm pretty new at this relatively speaking, but fortunately I have killed enough animals to know I don't have a problem hitting them... at least somewhere unless it is a squirrel, but those always miss always by mere inches. It would be one thing to hit a little low... or sail one over the back... say like a dinosaur at 30 yards that looked more like 60 (poor tree!) but I can honestly say that this particular arrow flight has never ever happened to me on a live animal nor a 3D animal inside 20 yards. I mean... it was just outright... crazy.

I'm not even really upset about it... I can definitely laugh it off now. Missing by 2" really is more frustrating than missing by 24" because deep down inside, you know it wasn't your shooting, but some fluke thing you didn't account for. The frustration only really comes from the fact that it was yet another blown opportunity to put a deer in the freezer with my trad bow... I would have been equally frustrated it just walked off as I was about to draw (which happened the day before.)

It might have taken me longer to laugh it off though if it had been an 140" buck though

Comment

Man, you've had a rough go of it this season. I'm still rooting for you bud! There is plenty of time left to knock it out of the park in style!

Comment

And we are lease bound and down...

Comment

Good luck Scott!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Just did some mending to a blind that the cows nearly destroyed. Normally I might let it sit... but the wind is perfect there and not a ton of other options that wouldn't be sweat boxes.

Comment

Working...
                                X