Illinois going bankrupt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
    Sucks but that's what it is. Lock up the politicians for borrowing against the pension funds (stealing) and bankrupting it. If Joe Blow breaks into my home and steals my life savings out of my safe and spends it all on crack before the cops get him how much of a bail out am I going to get? We bail them out they continue to do the same thing.
    I agree with some of this but the pensioners are partly to blame.
    They demand unrealistic compensation, and vote for the people who anyone
    ( with a little research) would know is going to mismanage it

Comment

They have been broke for years. Way to much corruption

Comment

Originally posted by iamntxhunter View Post
        I am not for any bailout whatsoever. The hard road of digging yourself out from the self created problem is what they need.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
        Problem is people can just up and move these days. So you're screwing the older people more who can't move. I've never in favor of any bailout BTW..Just looking at an issue.

If those who caused the problem where forced to stay and live there that would help.

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
        Pensions are a tough one. Those of you advocating for "dumping all their insane pension plans" are really saying that they should take back the money they've promised to working people. If I work in a system where they take a chunk out of my paycheck per month with the promise that I'll get paid when I retire, they ought to uphold their end of the bargain. Maybe it was a dumb bargain, and the terms need to change for those going forward, but it's nearly theft to go backward and un-do the promises.

That said, should you be in a plan with a guaranteed payout if you work at a city park mowing grass, or if you check water meters all day? Nope, but that was the deal. Change the terms going forward.
        And if I work for a private company that goes broke? Should the government print more money or raise your taxes to pay my pension?

Bottom line is people need to be smart enough to see they're getting too good a deal when they work for the State, Feds (or basically most tax funded jobs). They take the risk.

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
        Sucks but that's what it is. Lock up the politicians for borrowing against the pension funds (stealing) and bankrupting it. If Joe Blow breaks into my home and steals my life savings out of my safe and spends it all on crack before the cops get him how much of a bail out am I going to get? We bail them out they continue to do the same thing.
        Yep.

Comment

WE bailed out the BIGGEST banks & investment houses in the world..........twice! I pray it does not come to that again but I wont hold my breath. Lots of GREAT people in the state of Illinois and I only wish the best for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
            WE bailed out the BIGGEST banks & investment houses in the world..........twice! I pray it does not come to that again but I wont hold my breath. Lots of GREAT people in the state of Illinois and I only wish the best for them.
            , yes sir, they need to find out who is responsible for the fiasco that is Illinois and hold them responsible. seems this is the case a lot these days; politicians run roughshod over their constituents, and there is no consequenses.

Illinois is a beautiful state and lots of good people as long as you stay south of I-80

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
              That said, should you be in a plan with a guaranteed payout if you work at a city park mowing grass, or if you check water meters all day? Nope, but that was the deal. Change the terms going forward.
              What city or county govt jobs are worthy of a guaranteed payout upon retirement?

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                What city or county govt jobs are worthy of a guaranteed payout upon retirement?
                So you are saying "no one" that works a state, county or federal government job deserves a retirement?

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                  So you are saying "no one" that works a state, county or federal government job deserves a retirement?
                  He was asking a question of another poster.
                  He believes all city / state employees deserve a pension.
                  I agree with him on this point but i dont agree the pension plans that are driving cities , counties, and states into bankruptcy should be anywhere near as good as they are simply because they are not sustainable

Comment

TCDRS (look it up) is doing great...as opposed to the crappy municipal plans. Pending an economic collapse the wife and i will have nice pensions at a relatively young age.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                      He was asking a question of another poster.
                      He believes all city / state employees deserve a pension.
                      I agree with him on this point but i dont agree the pension plans that are driving cities , counties, and states into bankruptcy should be anywhere near as good as they are simply because they are not sustainable
                      You put in 20 years working some under paid job for the city, county or state I think you should get some sort of guaranteed pension

It's hard to save on those low wages.
                      One of if not the most lucrative part of working govt jobs are the benefits with the pension being high on the list.

I got from the other poster that the guy that cuts the grass on the runway at Hobby shouldn't get a pension but the lawyer that oversaw the building of the new international terminal should.

No bueno.

Oh and pension funds are bankrupting govts because govt officials are raiding the pension funds and using the money elsewhere gambling that they'll be able to pay it back but then they can't and wa-lah.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                        TCDRS (look it up) is doing great...as opposed to the crappy municipal plans. Pending an economic collapse the wife and i will have nice pensions at a relatively young age.
                        I wouldn't be worried about any plan ran by the State which would include the Counties. I would be worried if I worked for any big municipality ran by dems, you know that they aren't going to be solvent. Just a matter of time before all the large cities in the US end up like Chicago and Detroit.

Comment

Problem is our cities, counties etc need to be run like a company would. Someone needs to be accountable. The way we let them run things now is plain stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                            Problem is our cities, counties etc need to be run like a company would. Someone needs to be accountable. The way we let them run things now is plain stupid.
                            They are run like a company, just you know, the shady kind kind that goes bankrupt and ruins a bunch of people lives...like Enron.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
                              They are run like a company, just you know, the shady kind kind that goes bankrupt and ruins a bunch of people lives...like Enron.
                              And, people went to jail.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
                                Originally posted by boy wonder View Post
                                And, people went to jail.
                                Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand there's the difference. Hold people accountable & this type crap would end over night. As it is now, NONE of them ever pay the piper.

Comment

Working...
                                X