No announcement yet.

Caliber for a kid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some one gave me a box of reduced recoil 30-06. And man it is nice. It feels like my 243.

Comment

300 ultra mag he will never out grow it

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
        300 ultra mag he will never out grow it
        Or possibly never live through it.

Comment

Originally posted by Paycheck View Post
          Some one gave me a box of reduced recoil 30-06. And man it is nice. It feels like my 243.

The hornady reduced recoil for the 243 are awesome and they are absolutely devastating bullets.
          My kids had such good results I started buying them for my 270

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My son has been shooting 22-250 since he was 7. He’s 19 now. Still choses that over anything else.
            My brother has been letting his girls shoot 6.8spc for a couple years now think they are 12 now. They have killed lots of critters with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a 7 08 that is a deer killing machine.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought my son a 270 at age 12 and he has never looked back. I thought it would be to much for him but it wasn't.

Comment

I would be more concerned with getting his gun bought, scoped, sighted in, and practiced with by next weekend...

Make sure he can hit what he’s aiming at before you turn him loose with a brand new gun.

When I started hunting at 12, Dad would not take me out until I could consistently shoot 2 inch 5-shot groups at 100 yards. It took 3 or 4 Saturday trips to the range.

Is your son a built 10 or a scrawny 10? I’m a believer in the 22-250 for young hunters, but a 243, 7-08, or 270 could potentially be his lifelong deer rifle. As someone else said, they make reduced recoil loads for these calibers.
                  Last edited by 30-30; 11-03-2018, 06:25 AM.

Comment

My son is a normal build. Shoots a 243 since he was 8. Has killed several deer with it no problem

Comment

I bought my wife a 6.5 creedmore and it kicks no different than my 6.8 in AR. If I bought a rifle for a kid today it would be a 6.5 Creedmore. I also suspect that a 7mm-08 will be awesome, but I haven’t shot one in a while.
                      Last edited by Hockley; 11-03-2018, 07:00 AM.

Comment

22-250.

Comment

7mm-08 or 6.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

243 win all around. My boys both started with it as did I. I don’t remember how old I was but my boys were 11 & 9. Still do shoot it sometimes as does my youngest. None of us have ever lost an animal with that round. Knock knock. He put down three panhandle wt last year. Two drt and one made it 10yds. Ammo is economical and easily found with lots of variants. This will allow for as much practice as they want. You can find some federal 100gr at Walmart for 11.97 a box with a $5 rebate up to 10 boxes.

Comment

223 243 22 250 all pretty low on recoil and good rounds with the right bullet

Comment

My son is 10 now, last year he shot a couple deer with my .223, he’s now shooting my 6.5 Creedmoor and a youth model .243 equally well. I’d start with something small like a .223 or 22-250 and move up from there.

Comment

Working...
                                X