Caliber for a kid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caliber for a kid?

My son (10) shot his first animal last weekend (a pig) with a borrowed surpressed 300 blackout. He wants to hunt now, but I’m wondering what caliber gun to buy him now.? Should I go with the same caliber or is there something similar? He wants to go hunting again next weekend to try for a deer.

7-08

Comment

.223, .243, 6.5CM, .300 blackout are all great choices with a good bullet. You need to figure out what he will be comfortable/confident in shooting. .300 BO suppressed is a pretty mild recoil setup which is why it’s great for kids.

Comment

^^^ sums it up

Comment

7mm-08 is a great choice, better killing range, lots better than the 300 black out. jmo

Comment

7mm-08 or 243. You can get reduced loads for both, too, and graduate to full power if need be.

Comment

6.5 Grendel, would be my top choice. 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5X47 Lapua, 7X30 Waters, 260 Remington, 30-30, 300 Savage, maybe a 250 Savage/250-3000, 7mm-08. A 300 Blackout and the 6.8 SPC should be a good choices also. The smaller bores, 6mm and down, your shot placement needs to be very good, the larger bores, typically the recoil will go up. My preferred deer calibers are 6.5mm/264 cal., 270 and 7mm/284 cal., there are a lot of good 30 caliber choices, some that will work for younger kids.

Howa makes a mini action 1500, in 6.5 Grendel, that would make a perfect kids rifle. Truthfully, I want one for myself.

Comment

My youngest has been shooting a 30.06 since he was 8 . I thought it would be to much for him but he loved it from day 1 . He didn’t ever flinch or pull a shot so I just let him use it. I toyed with the idea of a lower recoil caliber but he shot it well so I figured the more powerful the better.

Comment

22-250 or .243. You can always find bullets in any mom/pop store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My daughter has used a little single shot .223 since she was 8. I do make her neck shoot em with that little thing but she gets it done no problem.

Comment

Another vote for the 6.5 grendel. Minimal recoil, very accurate, and will take down anything in Texas

Comment

.223, 22.250 or .243 is what I used for my boys when that young.

Comment

Not nearly as exciting or drool worthy but you cant go wrong with the good old 30-30. Nice big chunck of lead good nock down better blood trail than some smaller calibers and pretty easy to handle for a kid. No matter what you choose. Enjoy the time in the woods with your kids

Comment

Mine grew up shooting a 7mm-08

Comment

My boy is 8, normally we grab the .243 but this morning he will be shooting the 7-08.
                              You can’t go wrong with a .243 but if you want a little more gun the 7-08 is a great option. I also brought the 6.5 this wknd which he could easily handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X