Hunting in the rain with archery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting in the rain with archery

Do you do it, and if so, what tips do you have?

Tips? It's the same as hunting when it's not raining only wetter

Comment

Quiet rain suit, Binocular covers, rubber boots, extra towel in your pack

Comment

I use the frogg toggs. I also make sure I have tread on the souls of my boots so I can climb a ladder without slipping. Make sure your strings are waxed well before you go out.

Comment

Sure. I just keep moving parts lubed up and I dry everything off the best I can after the hunt and not let water sit on anything. Other than that, go hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            Tips? It's the same as hunting when it's not raining only wetter
            This. Just make sure you let your bow dry before putting it up.

Comment

Rain jackets can be bulky - make sure your sleeve won't impede the bowstring. I shoot feathers so I cover them with a baggie. They make waterproofing spray for them but I've not tried it.

Comment

I hunt enclosed blind to stay dry

Comment

Spot and stalk, the rain covers scent and noise.

Comment

The biggest issue is after you shoot and the rain washes away the blood trail. Only thing I've shot in the rain with my bow was a coyote. I know it died but after waiting a few min the only blood was hanging off the bottom of the arrow and there wasnt much left. All the blood on the ground was washed away/diluted down that there wasnt any to follow. For that reason I dont bow hunt in the rain and if gun hunting in it I try for drt shots.

Killing in the rain is easy, recovery can be difficult.

Comment

I love hunting the rain. I don't have to worry as much about making noise going to my stand. I am a clutz and will trip over every stick and groundhog hole on the way there.

Comment

I don't mind hunting in the rain, but I don't bowhunt in the rain. I don't want to lose an animal because the blood trail washed away.

edit: What denimdeerslayer said...^^

Comment

Several years ago, I found some scent free oil at Arlington Bowhunting... I use a Q-tip and coat all my bolt heads, and threads when possible. Keeps them from rusting up after they dry out.

You could use any vegetable oil, or vaseline. It doesn’t take much.

I can thank Mr. Witt for that tip.

Comment

Hunt from a pop up. I have killed 2 of my biggest deer in cold drizzly/rainy weather

Comment

I always worry about the blood trail or lack there of while raining. As mentioned above, other than that I love hunting in the rain too.

Comment

Working...
                              X