Official Lake Whintney and Aquilla 2016-2017 hunting thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justindfw View Post
    I saw two dove while walking out. It was dead out there.
    Yah, I saw ya walking out. And when ya stopped . I was the "strange" looking redneck mobile parked behind ya.

Saw 9 total. Only 1 came close. And it came behind me over the trees. Only reason I saw it was I saw it's shadow. But to late when I got my eye on it.

In that place, it's always done well when there were plenty of people out there to keep them stirred up. I bet the evening might be a little better. Saw a few on the way home starting to move.

Good to see ya posting again Justin!
    Last edited by Texas Grown; 09-05-2016, 10:14 AM.

Comment

If ya know anybody around the Itasca area call them up, there's dove everywhere.

Comment

Shoulda hollered at me mike. That area is alot better in drought years also.

Comment

Well, I could see ya walking though the brush along the old trail. But couldn't positively ID ya. Wasn't sure if you might be that other feller too. I was a couple hunderd yards away. I knew you were out there though, by your ride. And you wouldn't have know who was holler-n at ya . I didn't have anything to leave a note on your ride either. Very true about drought years. That might be a good area during the late dove season this year. That is, if ya can get by the deer hunters.

Edit: I did have a deer walk up behind me cross wind 40 yards and bed down for a few. Then busted out of there.
          Last edited by Texas Grown; 09-05-2016, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Well I'm about ready for all the seasons to start myself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I still need to scout a new spot or two.

Comment

Finally made it out to scout some. First section didn't look promising though I did see two deer. After that I went back to one of my old haunts and found its still active, so I corned there and another spot 100 to 200 yards from there. We shall see what happens.

Comment

I made it out to H-1 last week, found a tree where someone screwed about 10 tree spike into a tree. The reason I spotted them, the new tags were still attached and the sun was reflecting off of them. It kills me people can not follow the CEO rules.

Lots of hog sign in the area.

Comment

Yeah I found a brush blind with a bump feeder on h1 today

Comment

I was out there this morning doing some more scouting and the grass is taller than me in a bunch of spots.

Comment

Yep that rain has made the grass grow tall

Comment

I didn't know you were at h1 I would have stopped by. I'm headed out there again in the middle of the week.

Comment

That's just one place I stopped today.

Comment

With the CEO parks closed, I have to find a camp ground near H-1 I can park the travel trailer. I don't need full hookups, just a place to camp. Would be nice if I could beach the boat close by.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter247 View Post
                                With the CEO parks closed, I have to find a camp ground near H-1 I can park the travel trailer. I don't need full hookups, just a place to camp. Would be nice if I could beach the boat close by.

Chisholm Trail Park
                                backs up to H-1 on the north side of H-1. Can't get much closer than that.
                                With the water down just over 4 foot now, there's several places to beach a boat by a camp sight that's near the water. You just drive in, pick your spot. Then go back up front and drop your money in a slot at the entrance to show you've paid for that spot. There's a boat launch there too. But no amenities at the camp sights other than a picnic table at most. Some of the regular H-1 hunters stay there every year.

Next closest will be Hamm's Creek Park. Cut off to there is in Rio Vista. They have a pretty clean place, camper hook-ups, and bathrooms. Also have primitive spots. It's gated at the front for security. You'll have about 1.5-2 miles down the river by boat to get to H-1. Or drive back to Rio Vista. Then down to H-1. About 20 minutes max drive. Cost is about the same as COE parks. Rules are about the same. And it is run by the city of Cleburne.
                                Last edited by Texas Grown; 09-11-2016, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X