Pedernales Falls SP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pedernales Falls SP

Got confirmation i got selected for the Gun Deer Antlerless/Spike Hunt Nov. 10-12. Anyone else get selected or ever hunt here before? Looking for any insight.

I have hunted before. It is a great hunt, if it is still the same way it was when I went. I think Josh is the hunt director. He is a cool guy. Make sure you sign in everytime. They will get you for that if you don't and give you a stern talking to.

I hunted the first Sendero on the left side, right after you enter the park. It is where the power lines are. I don't know if it is still there or not. It was not too good. I saw one animal crossing the sendero while I was there. I told Josh and he moved me to a better spot. This was in a tripod, that is inside the main area of the park, right off the road, about a mile from the hunter check station. The tripod is in a big cedar tree you have two openings to shoot. One is to the east and one to the north. I killed two does there. One on the east about 100 yards away and one on the north about 50 yards away. There is some power lines there as well. I threw out a bag of corn and the deer came to it. On the third day, I asked if I could move to another spot, because most of the hunters had left and there were a lot of openings. Josh took me back into the woods, across the river and put me way, way, way back in a brush blind. I saw two nice, nice aoudad. I had two guns with me and didn't think my .25-06 would put one down (it was a new to me gun, so I was not sure of the capabilities with my 100 grain bullet), so I grabbed my .30-06 and rushed the shot and missed.

If these spots are still there, I would try to get them. This was 4 years ago though, so they may have changed it up. I was told that across the river backs up to a high fence ranch and that is how the exotics got out.

I went on 2 hunts and the first was gun deer any sex. There were 4 bucks shot (9 point, 8 point, 7 point, spike), 3 does, and a super nice Sika buck that the guy immediately took to the taxidermist. Some people missed some nice bucks (so they say) and one couple got into trouble because the man shot 2 deer and claimed one off his wife's permit. The park rangers found out and wrote him a ticket and kept his deer. So, make sure you follow all the rules, wear your orange while walking, and take an extra firearm.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I didn't actually hunt the PF state park last year(I hunted the PF annex), but it looked pretty straight forward. The have brush blinds build all over the park. Most are U-shaped and overlooking section of camping or trail areas. They take you to the stand the first afternoon, but after that you are on your own.

Josh was not in charge last year, it was a new guy that really didn't understand the difference between antlerless and antlered game. I killed a nubbin that didn't break the fur and he insisted it was a buck because of the nub height. Not sure what the issue was, since the park is overrun with deer.

Pigs, Pigs, Pigs. The park is overrun with pigs. They are not afraid of humans and will come out at any point in the day. Exotics....Don't hold out for an axis or fallow. They are ghost or folklore in my opinion. There is a herd of sheep that roam the property.

Hope this helps, you will have a great time.

Comment

aggie_archer, I will hunt there during Nov. 10-12 as well.

Thank you, coach_em_up and budman68, for your helpful information.

Comment

Great information guys! Thanks!

CY100 look forward to meeting you.

Comment

Last edited by Freight Mover; 10-01-2015, 07:59 PM. Reason: Duplicate post

Comment

I hunted this same hunt last year. I hunted spot 7 which was right at 2 main roads by the maintenance building. Saw tons of deer and no pigs in my spot.

I had a fawn almost get in my blind with me. Also, had 3 huge bucks fight about 30 yards out. I killed 1 doe and missed another.

Other than it raining for 3 straight days it was great. They have clean facilities.

When you get there and go to orientation, take all of your gear and be ready to hunt.

I think Lynn and John ran this hunt last year.

Good luck

Shane

Comment

Also, I had to keep running the does out of my campsite.

Comment

Thanks for the info! Getting me real exxited, this is the first time getting drawn for any of the tpwd draw hunts.

What distance should I expect to be shooting. I can't decide what gun(s) to take with me. Will they allow me to us my supressor?

Any gear in particular anyone would suggest bringing? Chair, pop up blind...etc.?

Comment

I killed my doe at 30
                    I had up to a 100 yard shot

Comment

Small chair
                      The blinds are low.

I brought a 30/30 and a 243 as a back up. I doubt they would allow the suppressor

Comment

I took my .30-06 and my .25-06. When they dropped me off, they asked what caliber I had. I told them and he told me "Good. Flat shooting calibers is what you need out here". You certainly don't need a .300 win mag and I would leave it at home. Negative on the suppressor.

I brought a chair and my popup, but only used the chair. Get there early and start making small talk with the park rangers and get in good with them. Just saying.

Comment

How would you get to your spot in day2 and 3? Will they drop you off every day? If not, how far did you park?

I may have to remind myself to hold my trigger, if there are too many deer . I hunted at Inks lake few years ago. My 3-day hunt was finished after the first afternoon. Since I shot 2 does within 5 minutes and reached my limit

Comment

I drove my truck to my spot. Park farther down the road and away from your blind

Depending on where the put you, you could easily be done on day 1
                            Stick around and shoot some pigs[emoji3]

Comment

I was two spots down from Freight Mover on the hunt last year overlooking a field just across the street from some bathrooms which was convenient. Really fun, even with all the rain. There are tons of hogs in the park, so there are lots of targets. I shot two hogs and a doe and my friend shot two doe and a hog.

There are some really nice bucks running around that are fun to look at too. Bring lots of corn and put it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X