Best Hunting Scope for around $1,500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    Yes but that’s not a $1500 scope. Of course neither is a S&B but that didn’t keep people from suggesting it either. Also given the weight I know I wouldn’t want to carry one around on a hunting rifle either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    OP said "give or take $500, what's the best scope in $1500 range"
    I read that as $1000-2000 scope range...do you not? Under $2000 does bring Schmidt and Bender into play with the Zenith, Stratos and Klassik models...even 3-12x50 Schmidt and Bender Zenith (which I just purchased last week for $1650 to replace my 2.5-10x56 Zenith)
    FREE Shipping on all Schmidt and Bender Rifle Scopes. Schmidt and Bender is a market leader in Rifle Scopes with over 50 years of German engineering experience.

You are correct that high end Nightforce isn't in the under $2000 price. S&B is the leader anyway in my opinion
    Last edited by DimmitCo; 12-05-2017, 07:17 AM.

Comment

I’ve never spent any time behind either of those so I can’t offer any advice but are they in the OP’s listed price range?

Yes. The more popular version of these scopes are in the $2500 to $3,000 range for the tactical long range line but there are choices in his range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DimmitCo View Post
        OP said "give or take $500, what's the best scope in $1500 range"
        I read that as $1000-2000 scope range...do you not? Under $2000 does bring Schmidt and Bender into play with the Zenith, Stratos and Klassik models...even 3-12x50 Schmidt and Bender Zenith (which I just purchased last week for $1650 to replace my 2.5-10x56 Zenith)
        FREE Shipping on all Schmidt and Bender Rifle Scopes. Schmidt and Bender is a market leader in Rifle Scopes with over 50 years of German engineering experience.

You are correct that high end Nightforce isn't in the under $2000 price. S&B is the leader anyway in my opinion
        And none of the S&Bs you mention have turrets worth a flip to dial. Step up into the PMII to get that. And they are way over rated for the money. I've used them plenty. Not impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
          How come nobody ever talks about Minox on this site or March scopes? Khales makes a fine scope also and tangent theta is ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          March is more of a high power bench rest optic. For the money there is better. But they are nice optics. Kahles is very nice too. But in the $2000-2400 range. Weight would be an issue there. The NF atacr is the way to go to stay fairly light at the $2k mark

Comment

Originally posted by austen9219 View Post
            You cant go wrong with either the swaro or Schmidt.
            With a 300wsm, you have decent long range capabilities. If it’s your intentions to consistently shoot distances of 600 - 800 yards go with a Schmidt.. If you consistently shoot 100-500, with the occasional 500+ yards shot, save your money and go with a swaro.

I’m just a fan of Swarovski as I know what they can do when coupled with the right weapon. At the end of the day, there’s limitations to all set ups. It’s your job to pick the right tool for the job. I just know my 300wsm, and 257 wby mag shoot sub moa at 500 yards.

I do know know I wouldn’t go with anything less than a 5x25 at those distances
            I don't own a single optic above 18x. I've taken those to a bit past a mile easily. Swaro turrets and reticles are awful for actual LR work and the S&B is 2X the OPs budget and not worth that price in my opinion. 500 yards is just getting started. If that's all you shoot then an S&B is a waste of money. Far better options than those 2 for the intended purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoore2006 View Post
              I’ll go against the grain here and recommend a huskemaw. I have 2 and love them both. Good glass, great customer service and I really like the turret and it has a good zero. Have one on a 7 RUM for about 4-5 years. It’s been to Colorado multiple times and tossed around and beat up. Still just as crisp as the day it was bought. Look into them
              ^^^^X2

Comment

Take a look at the new Zeiss V6. I have two HD5 which have been fine, but this scope is way better. Lots of improvements over the HD5 , you get a 30mm tube, better reticle choices, Victory glass on it, and turrets that feel really good when you turn them. It has zero stop, and a revolution counter and 103 MOA of travel. Tracking so far has been accurate. Overall it's what the HD5 should have been.

Comment

I just have to say: It is amazing how much money you can dump into a scope and still end up with garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by austen9219 View Post
                    5 x 25 x 52 Swaro with ballistic turret. Crisp crosshairs , and some of best glass on the market.

What caliber rifle will it be mounted to?
                    This is what I have on my 300wm but mine was $3000.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                      I just have to say: It is amazing how much money you can dump into a scope and still end up with garbage.
                      One man's trash is another man's treasure.
                      My rifle that I drag around hunting on my farm has a Weaver Grand Slam on it. 1 inch tube and parallax adjustment on the end, I love that old scope.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter Dan View Post
                        This is what I have on my 300wm but mine was $3000.

You paid $3k for a Swarovski Z5?

Comment

You paid $3k for a Swarovski Z5?

He didn't mention Z5, I have a X5i. Great scope, I'm sure the Z5 is nice too.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter Dan View Post
                            He didn't mention Z5, I have a X5i. Great scope, I'm sure the Z5 is nice too.

Gotcha. The model you quoted in his post would have been a Z5. That’s why I was questioning.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                              I guess that all depends on the use lol. The Swarovski Z8 has the best glass I've ever seen in a scope. But would be absolutely awful for long range work lol.

Comment

At that price range, I would go ziess all the way. I have 6 different versions of Conquests and I love them all, in fact, that's all I own now.

Comment

Working...
                                X