Who has been shafted by a taxidermist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Huggybear View Post
    The guy isn't nice to keep taking work and putting off what he already has. Just plain bad business.
    Most quality taxis have a wait time of 12-16 months. I’ve never understood why people get in a fireass hurry to just hang it on the wall. I understand about them telling you one date and then it takes longer but honestly that’s almost any taxi you work with. Look at avian arts or the other waterfowl taxi in Dallas, they’re not turning away work are they?

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
      Can’t get blood out of a turnip

I have judgments against 2 Taxidermist, one is for $10,000.00
      You can’t make them pay
      Is the one who owes you 10k named Michael ?

Comment

Worst nightmares

Comment

Originally posted by cantexduck View Post
          Is the one who owes you 10k named Michael ?
          Yes

Comment

NEVER pay a Taxi the full price up front! I watched a business associate, very good work, put those paid up full farther back the line. Pay the deposit but most of all....research on the net and get recommendations before you trust your memory with completion. There are just as many good & ethical Taxi's as there are bad...just like any business.

Comment

I took a big rattlesnake and a javelina to a taxidermist outside Texarkana in the late '90s. I told him I wanted the rattlesnake skin on felt so I could hang it on the wall and the javelina head euroed. Told me about 3 months. He calls about 6 months later and says the rattlesnake was rotten inside and stunk up his shop so he threw it out. Total bs. That snake was put in the freezer right after I killed it and was never thawed. It was still frozen when I dropped it off. Not sure if he thawed it and forgot about it so it ruined or if he just wanted it for himself. The javelina euro I got back was terrible. It was painted white with a paint brush and looked like a 3rd grader painted it. I learned my lesson then about taxidermists. I researched after that and never had a bad mount on any deer heads, ducks or antelope. Good taxidermists are worth what they charge.

Comment

Hoof & Horns in Munday, TX. Took a ram to him. 2 years later I finally get a hold of him and get my horns and cape. Cape was ruined.

He wrote a hot check to a buddy of mine for his refunded deposit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I dropped of a javelina in San Antonio about 18-19 years ago for a shoulder mount and another javelina in Arizona 5-6 years ago for a lifesize mount. Needless to say I still don’t have a javelina in my house! I pay a little more for my taxidermy but the work is excellent and I always get it back. I only use one shop now no matter what! The only time when I have been screwed the last few years is when I have let someone else do the work.

Comment

I use one of two people and have for years. Never had an issue and sometimes find myself surprised by the turn around. I killed an elk a few years ago and when I dropped it off, I joked that I needed it by Christmas. Two days before Christmas I got a call to come pick it up. Frank Tudor in Conroe or Ricky Overall in New Caney have treated me OUTSTANDING over the years. I've use B&S Taxidermy in Eagle Lake a few times with the same results. I guess I've just been lucky enough to hire good quality, honest people to do my work.

Comment

I tried somebody closer to my house this year
                      Wish I wouldn’t have
                      Decent work but not what I was used to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Back in th 70s ( I was just a baby then), I shot a monster axis and my pops took to a guy in San Antonio for a shoulder mount, a year after excuses, he said he had been robbed and to quit calling. I have never considered mounting anything since

Comment

Never been stiffed but have had taxidermist agree with me on what I wanted done and when I get there to pick it up it be exactly what I described that I DID NOT want done. Happened 4 times with three different taxis. Ponied up and quit budget shopping my taxi work after that. Allen Palermo has been my go to guy for a decade and a half and has never disappointed me. Customer service he provides is second to none, period.

Comment

Man some of these stories are sickening. Makes me angry just reading them

Comment

No, I only use Jenny Lacourse out of Helotes Tx.
                              Excellent work and no bs, as long as you pay her for the work done.

Comment

Four or five years ago my sister dropped off my buff colored fallow deer hide to be tanned at a taxi in the Tyler area. The guy got kidney cancer or something and was ill. A year later she finally went to pick it up and it was the wrong hide. The one they tried to give her was red. They didn't have my hide anywhere in the shop. I hope she posts his name, but on the other hand I fear that he has passed on (died).

Comment

Working...
                                X