Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you learn from hunting season 2016?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I learned to scout more and don't just rely on the old faithful spots on public land.

I learned the forestry people, or whoever is control of cutting timber could give two ****s about hunters. They can and will cut huge sections of forest during hunting season. Soon nothing will be left to climb where I hunt.

I'm starting to learn the last weekend of two of rifle season deer where I hunt get scarce. Normally I have spots where I can see does at least for sure, but come muzzleloader season they switch up or something.

I learned Sam Houston forest is ridiculous thick!

Comment

I learned that sitting over a feeder, looking down a 10 ft. wide, 110 yard logging road SUCKS when the deer aren't moving; hand corn on trails in the thick stuff is the ticket.

Comment

A few things I learned or was reminded of over 2016

- That once again killing your trophy/target buck early in the season makes for a relaxing rest of the season..

- That sharing your good fortune of multiple shooters at your feeder with another lease member is as rewarding if not more rewarding as killing a good deer yourself, when you see the smile on their face standing over their buck..

- That shooting does and cull bucks can be as fun as shooting your trophy if you take the time to make it that way and check your ego at the door.

- That filling your cull/mgmt tags is not a requirement nor a have-to, even though you have one alloted on your tags.... and making a deer a mgmt deer just to kill one can be detrimental to your future mature deer/trophy selection. Not being able to find a cull buck to shoot is a good thing...

- Shooting the best of your worst is no way to fill your mgmt/cull tags

- And probably the most important. I need to lose some weight. I can't go through another season like this last one. It is starting to take some of the fun out of it.

Comment

That I'll never buy wild game innovation products again

Comment

I learned that I really need to go elk hunting with my bow. I have been putting in unsuccessfully for archery in multiple states for many years, trying to draw a high-demand tag. My wife and I took a fly fishing trip to northern new mexico during late September and heard elk screaming all day every day. seeing big bulls every day just fueled the fire to go. If I don't draw a tag, I am going to go over the counter in Colorado. I have to do it this year!

Comment

I learned to get up earlier when elk hunting..... spooked the only two cows I saw on my whole trip...

I've also refined my meat processing skills... still a lot to learn but I'm much more efficient now

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

venison is expensive.

Comment

As much as I hate to say it, It is cheaper and I can hunt better places out of state.
                  And the people who complain they have a pig problem, their real problem is getting someone to pay them way to much to hunt meat hogs.

Comment

Originally posted by brnhtown View Post
                    That I'll never buy wild game innovation products again
                    I believe many have learned this lesson, including myself.

Comment

Don't pass during bow season, hoping bigger will show up during the rut.

The rut was a pretty big disappointment

Comment

Patience, patience and patience!

Hunt out of well constructed ground blinds, it does wonders in helping hold your scent down.

As mentioned above, even during rains and nasty, cold weather, the deer move. I believe the wind affects deer more than cold, wet weather with little to no winds.

Hunt with good friends. It is a heck of a lot of fun to celebrate your best kill, their best kill or even any kill with friends rather than alone!

Comment

I have learned hunters that harvests big bucks in East Texas are men walking among mere mortals and I sincerely mean that. You guys that take big deer in Anderson/Rusk/Nacogdoches/Cherokee/Houston counties have my utmost respect.

I tried everything I could think of and never saw a mature buck on the hoof during daylight hours, but man there really are some good deer out here in East Texas. Just get ready to hunt hard as hell to try and stick one.

On thread topic: I learned that I am going to have to establish a good hand corn spot and get food plots put in the ground if I want to see deer on a regular basis out here.

Comment

What did you learn from hunting season 2016?

Originally posted by coffmanbr1 View Post
                            I have learned hunters that harvests big bucks in East Texas are men walking among mere mortals and I sincerely mean that. You guys that take big deer in Anderson/Rusk/Nacogdoches/Cherokee/Houston counties have my utmost respect.

I tried everything I could think of and never saw a mature buck on the hoof during daylight hours, but man there really are some good deer out here in East Texas. Just get ready to hunt hard as hell to try and stick one.

On thread topic: I learned that I am going to have to establish a good hand corn spot and get food plots put in the ground if I want to see deer on a regular basis out here.

Ha! And those are the easier counties in East Texas! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
                            Come to Hardin County.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Drought years really take a toll on age classes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                                Ha! And those are the easier counties in East Texas! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
                                Come to Hardin County.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                I was about to googlemaps the rest of the counties around here, but I got lazy and those were the only ones I could think of at the moment. Anything else east or northeast of those counties as well.

I should just say East of Palestine.

Comment

Working...
                                X