Traditional First Shot Challenge Week 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional First Shot Challenge Week 4

This weeks challenge will be a 5 Shot challenge.

Shots to be taken from 15 yards for the adults. 7 yards for the kiddos.

I would prefer, that you to take each shot on different days, but if you get up against time, then shoot them all at once, or finish up all at once with your remaining shots.

Draw a 2" circle on a standard piece of paper, or whatever you have handy.

Any shot landing outside the circle:
    Scores the measured distance from the edge of the arrow shaft to the nearest line of the circle.

Any shot landing on / touching / cutting the line of the circle:
    Scores a 0 "zero".

Any shot landing cleanly inside the circle (does not touch the line):
    Scores a - 1/2" (negative one half inch)

Lowest total of the 5 shots wins the call for next week.

Shoot straight, and have fun.

Rick

Nice twist.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Legit challenge, here, to be in a two-inch circle on every first shot released consistently.

Comment

Rick

Comment

Bona fide kill shot, there, Rick! Way to lead us out!

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
            Bona fide kill shot, there, Rick! Way to lead us out!
            I almost lillipopped that one too.
            Had to let down, and regroup my brain for it.

You know what I'm talking about.

Rick

Comment

Hmm.. Harder than it looks. First one for me.

1 15/16"
              Click image for larger version

Name:	FSC 4 shot 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	24527219

Richard

Edit: I hate my camera...... phone...... paperweight thing. No idea why the image is rotated.

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                I almost lillipopped that one too.
                Had to let down, and regroup my brain for it.

You know what I'm talking about.

Rick
                Regroup like Tiger Woods when a camera clicked mid-swing. Then stripe it down the middle!

So, you're basically covering the circle with arrow tip at this range, if executing properly, right? Is this system available to anyone to learn, and is it what's described on video "The Push" as "fixed crawl"?

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                  Regroup like Tiger Woods when a camera clicked mid-swing. Then stripe it down the middle!

So, you're basically covering the circle with arrow tip at this range, if executing properly, right? Is this system available to anyone to learn, and is it what's described on video "The Push" as "fixed crawl"?

It is utilizing the fixed crawl.

What I can't make up my mind on doing is - do I want to lollipop the spot I want to hit on top of the point, or do I want to actually rest the tip directly on the spot I want to hit?

There are pros & cons to each:

Lollipop aiming keeps your spot from being covered/hidden by the arrow tip, especially at longer distances, but isn't quite as pinpoint accurate.

Actually placing the point on the spot is a bit more pinpoint, but covering your spot from view can cause you to drift off center a bit.

Since I am more used to it, I'm actually leaning toward doing the lollipopping, and just trying to refine it some.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                    It is utilizing the fixed crawl.

What I can't make up my mind on doing is - do I want to lollipop the spot I want to hit on top of the point, or do I want to actually rest the tip directly on the spot I want to hit?

There are pros & cons to each:

Lollipop aiming keeps your spot from being covered/hidden by the arrow tip, especially at longer distances, but isn't quite as pinpoint accurate.

Actually placing the point on the spot is a bit more pinpoint, but covering your spot from view can cause you to drift off center a bit.

Since I am more used to it, I'm actually leaning toward doing the lollipopping, and just trying to refine it some.

Rick
                    I know it takes years of shooting to get to your level but every time you talk about three under/fixed crawl it sounds so...... easy. Great shooting!

Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
                      I know it takes years of shooting to get to your level but every time you talk about three under/fixed crawl it sounds so...... easy. Great shooting!

Richard.
                      So easy it's almost like cheating.

I know guys who can regularly hit targets with iron sights at 300 yards with a lever action rifle off hand. I know guys who can barely hit a 3" bull at a hundred yards with an accurate bolt gun at 100 yards from a bench rest. You have to perfect your craft and it takes time and repetition. Rick obviously puts it in and there aren't any "easy" outs.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post

Richard.
                        Thank you very much.

It isn't easy, BUT it gets easier.
                        It just takes some understanding, and practice.
                        I'm old, and I'm determined/hard headed.

"Anything" you do, "IF" you have a well thought through process to draw/reflect on, it will make it easier to do.

Without that "thought through" process it makes it almost impossible for you to know what you've done wrong when you do, therefore almost impossible to make the necessary corrections.

With a "thought through" process, you will almost always know immediately what you did wrong, And Why.

For me - That applies to "everything" in life. Not just my shooting.

Rick

Comment

Shooting instinctive, I have little idea exactly what to think about in aiming, except to just maintain focus and have solid process.

Anyway, shot this at halftime of playoff game. Real happy; just got inside circle, with a little white between shaft and line. So, Day # 1= -1/2".

Comment

Day one 2&7/16ths. I'm staying with one shot a day.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Alrighty then...day one, gap shooting. Gap was good but I think my release was bad. 2.5"

I like this game.

Comment

Working...
                              X