rut in east texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slim View Post
    I hunt close to Apple Springs and the rut starts 3rd week of oct and runs to 2nd week of nov.
    this is about the closest anyone on her has gotten for very deep se tex. its why i started bowhunting, mid october through about mid novemeber at the latest... both from what ive seen and the reports i get from the local game wardens, in deep se tex, hardin, jefferson, polk, tyler, chambers, jasper, newton, orange. counties... im sure theres other but these i am the most familiar with.... its most easily evidenced by the number of road kill deer in these areas during that time

Comment

The second weekend in november last year i know for sure it was on cause a 3.5 - 8 pointer was all over a doe at my gun blind. Hope he got her and not some trash we have around.

Comment

I cannot speak about the rut but on my place in Smith County we saw new born fawns last week end of May last year, this year it was mid June. That put breeding late October to mid November.

Comment

I live in Van Zandt Co. and generally see prerut activity in late October and chasing in early to mid november. when I hunted in Van Zandt,( up until 2 years ago when the owner sold and broke my heart), I would take vacation days from the 6th-12th every year.

Comment

I would say it is not as pronounced as some other areas, but last year, an increased level rut-type activity the last week of October and through the first two weeks of November.

Comment

I have grew up hunting limestone, freestone counties and like alot of guys on here end of october to first of november. But i have pics this year from last week of spotted fawns so do the math on that!!!

Comment

Here is a good example of 2 fawns born at very different times, I think the back one was just born still weak on the feet. I have already seen 5 rubs, I really believe where I hunt October is the time, I saw every decent buck in Oct, then only once in November. Because of resize u cant see but the spots are all over the back one and the front has since lost hers.
                Attached Files

Comment

Late Oct

Comment

depends on your place, I have a place in Angelina county and a place in cherokee county that are only about 15 miles apart. The angelina county place sees most of its rutting activity the last week of Oct and first week of Nov. The Cherokee county place dosent pick up until about Thanksgiving.

Comment

On our place in Newton Co. the peak of the rut is the last week of October....we usually have a good secondary rut the week of Thanksgiving.

Comment

hunt in wood county and for the last couple of years the heaviest activity i have seen has been in the week before and after thankgiving. tell the boss he can expect a vacation slip durring that time but wait for a cold snap to pick the exact days to take off.

Comment

When I hunted San Jacinto county the rut was usually the week before opening of rifle season. A couple times it was into the first week of rifle season. Saw some secondary rutting around thanksgiving.

Comment

rut in east texas

I have seen the rut change over the last 30 years on our lease in Polk Co. In the early 80"s the rut would kick off in late October and be done by the first week of November. This is why I started bow hunting and would schedule my vacation for the last week of October.

Jump forward to 2009 and our best rutting action is the second week in November. I still hunt in late October but the rut has not started yet.

I believe better management practices have contributed mostly to the change.

Comment

I agree with El Vaquero. When I used to hunt in Harrison County, they were making scrapes in the first week of Oct. Because of the thickness in vegetation, I never really saw them chasing, but the rut is definitely around the middle of October.

Comment

Nov 11th -14th is my most successful time in east tx. I have killed some of my best east tx buck in this time frame. Ill hunt the first 2 weeks solid in east tx.

Comment

Working...
                                X