"Why do we need assault weapons?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Why do we need assault weapons?"

Please keep this civil as I would like this thread to last. A politically neutral friend of mine is posting on facebook asking why American civilians need assault rifles, and suggesting that they be banned. Here is an excerpt.

"To me, guns serve only two civilian purposes: self-defense and hunting. Why would you need an assault rifle for either of these purposes? And it's not the firepower of the gun that's so important; it's the capacity of the magazine, of which assault rifles generally are larger. This allows for a wider range of damage across targets, say, in shooting sprees. There is a problem, however, in that if someone wants to kill people, they'll find a way to do it. We shouldn't outlaw civilian possession of firearms in general, only those styles which can injure many people at one time."

The last sentence concerns me. What would you say?

IMO, if any type of ban would take place then, that would get the snowball rolling and next thing you know, everything is being banned and see 2nd Amendment.

Comment

I don't know what weapon can't be classified as an assault weapon.
      So the easy answer is, for protection, for hunting , for sport, and for entertainment.
      The capacity question is a useless arguement meant only as a stepping stone to more regulation and its been tried before..
      Next question.
      Last edited by systemnt; 07-22-2012, 08:23 PM.

Comment

I don't own any assault weapons. I only own hunting weapons. When I am hunting things with multiple targets, ie feral hogs, I want as many shots possible to kill,maim, disable as many of those hogs as possible.

Comment

Founding fathers would have insisted on WE THE PEOPLE have free access to the same weapons the government has...probably not nukes but ground defense weapons.
          take away our AR 15 it won't stop there....by the end we will BB guns.

Comment

A deer rifle can shoot folks from longer distances than the common ar-15 carbines.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
              Please keep this civil as I would like this thread to last. A politically neutral friend of mine is posting on facebook asking why American civilians need assault rifles, and suggesting that they be banned. Here is an excerpt.
              sounds like you need new FB friends. that is one way to get deleted off my page.....

Comment

I own hunting rifles....they become assault rifles when someone tries to take what is mine or attempts to cause harm!

Comment

Originally posted by Bhuntinfishn View Post
                  A deer rifle can shoot folks from longer distances than the common ar-15 carbines.
                  Shhhhhhhhh......they ain't figured that out yet!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bhuntinfishn View Post
                    Yup. Not to mention a lot more accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                      I don't know what weapon can't be classified as an assault weapon.
                      So the easy answer is, for protection, for hunting , for sport, and for entertainment.
                      Next question.
                      Perfectly said.

Comment

In any discussion each side attempts to pull the discourse as far as possible in their direction, thus keeping things in the middle. A good example is the republican party, a candidate cannot run as a republican unless they are more conservative than anyone else, this then results in stagnation because no one will compromise.

Comment

If a gang of drug cartel members comes to my camp house with assault weapons, I want to be as well armed as they are. After reading on here some of the things that have happened to people on south Texas leases, I think it is highly likely that it could happen and a bolt action just ain't gonna cut it.

Comment

Need is not the point. The premise of the question your friend posted is wrong from the start.

People in large cities don't necessarily need a car. Cars kill far more people than guns annually. Do people really need cars?
                            Last edited by unclefish; 07-22-2012, 08:29 PM.

Comment

I think you bring up a very interesting point. When I worked behing the firearms counter at Cabela's when I was in college, I was kind of scratching my head "why anyone really needs this .50 BMG". All in all, I think a firearm is a firearm and a Murderer is a Murderer. Guns don't kill people..... people kill people.

Comment

Working...
                              X