Wolves in East Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cuzins8 View Post
    Yes, Wolves are making a come back in Tx just like Black Bears are.
    There are as many Wolves in East Tx as there are Black Panthers, Big Foots and pterodactyls!
    You kind of make it sound like you are not a believer. I have spent countless hours in the woods both as a kid and an adult, there is not a mammal one in the woods of East Texas that I cannot identify. I can 100% GUARANTEE you that what I saw was a female Gray Wolf.

Comment

The last 2 wild mexican wolves were killed back in 1970 by this article.

Comment

I have never seen any and lived in ETEX my whole life but have heard of several people seeing very large yotes or wild dogs that very well have been wolves or at least some kind of hybrids.

Comment

I would probably be a little leary of these stories myself if I had not seen it. But I am 200% sure there is or was one around Palestine in 1998.

Comment

Here is an article on the subject...

Wolf or Coyote?

We have all heard their eerie call in the evening hours and caught fleeting glances of them running across fields. It is the stuff that urban legends are made of. The big question is, is that the call you are hearing a coyote or a wolf? The coyote (Canis latrans) is present in most all areas of Texas these days, even in major metropolitan cities. It has found a way to survive on anything it can get into its mouth. However, years ago, the coyote’s distribution was not as extensive as it is today, because parts of Texas held a viable and thriving red wolf (Canis rufus) population. The red wolf’s average size ranges from 50 to 80 pounds and the coyote’s ranges from 25 to 40 pounds. Apart from the size difference is the markings of the two; the red wolf has distinct red patches around its shoulder area and face, whereas the coyote has mostly brown and grey.
            The former range of the red wolf used to be from Texas to Florida and as far north as Missouri. By 1970 there were only a few small populations left in the wild, so in an effort to save the species, 14 red wolves were captured and a breeding program was begun to try and save the last of the red wolves. However, due to trapping and habitat loss, the red wolf was declared extinct world wide in the wild in 1980. In 1987 several captive animals were released in the Alligator National Wildlife Refuge in northeastern North Carolina. The animals have rebounded and their population is now close to 200 red wolves in the wild in that part of the United States.
            Prior to extinction in the wild, distribution of the coyote didn’t include most of Texas because wolves, when in healthy populations, do not tolerate coyote in their home range. Wolves actually kept the coyotes numbers low and in check, because they would kill any coyotes that wandered into its territory. But as the wolves’ numbers continued to decline to extremely low densities throughout their range, the remaining individuals began breeding with coyotes, eventually disappearing from the wild.
            So as you sit out in the evenings and hear their howling voices, know for a fact that you are hearing the howling of the coyote and not of the red wolf.

Comment

I seen black and white pictures of my grandfather with 2 wolfs hanging from a tree. I will see if my mom can find them.

Comment

Originally posted by Joebuck View Post
                You kind of make it sound like you are not a believer. I have spent countless hours in the woods both as a kid and an adult, there is not a mammal one in the woods of East Texas that I cannot identify. I can 100% GUARANTEE you that what I saw was a female Gray Wolf.
                Maybe he's not a believer - just seems like TPWD would have at least one legit confirmation in the last 20 years if they are out there.

Comment

Well, one of the best things about KNOWING something without a doubt, is truly not caring whether or not anyone believes you. I was just trying to tell you guys that Grey Wolves (at least one) is still alive in the wilds of East Texas (which was an answer to the original question). You have to make your own determination as to whether or not you beleive and you probably cannot do that without seeing it for yourself. So now you guys have me pretty excited that I am one of the only people in East Texas to see one in the wild.

Comment

Originally posted by Gringo23 View Post
                    Maybe he's not a believer - just seems like TPWD would have at least one legit confirmation in the last 20 years if they are out there.
                    They don't want a confirmation. I had what I thought were red wolves come into my yard (we live next to SHNF) eating my dogs food. When I called TP&W the woman said,"Wolves are extinct in Texas." So I said, "Then it's ok if I shoot them?" She answered,"No, wolves are protected in Texas." So I said,"Then it's possible that these were wolves I saw?" To which she answered, "No, wolves are extinct in Texas." We went though this a few times. They don't want to take a position either way.
                    Dave

Comment

That would be 100% correct, i'm not a believer. Same as bigfoot,to many hunters, hickers, wildlife photographers and trail cameras out there there days for to be nothing more than hearsay. I DO thought believe you saw what you think was a wolf.

Comment

I know we have killed a lot of coyotes in east texas that did not look right. Some had a lot of red some were almost black while some dare I say had a head on them that looked more like a wolf than a yot. I killed one in Trinity that went close to 70 lbs. That my friends is a heck of a yot. It is my opionin the Red Wolf can be found but in the blood line and DNA of our local coyote population. But thats not to say that the hybreads are not out there and can show a lot of the trates of there ancestors...

Comment

That would be 100% correct, i'm not a believer. Same as bigfoot,to many hunters, hickers, wildlife photographers and trail cameras out there there days for to be nothing more than hearsay. I DO thought believe you saw what you think was a wolf.
                          What I do believe, is that you do not believe me and that is OK with me. All I can say is that I grew up in the sticks, my closest neighbor was over 1/2 mile away, and we had only one channel. I spent more time in the woods before I was 13 than most grown men. I know the animals that are around me. If you knew me personally, you would know that if I say I saw a Wolf, then I saw a Wolf.

I can definatley understand how you could not believe, don't know that I would if the roles were reversed. But for the rest of you, (except for Cuzins8) they are out there.

Comment

Like i said, i do believe you! I just believe, like most people that claim to have seen black panthers and chupacabras and such, they are confused for one reason or another about what they saw.
                            I dont know but even if i did i would still feel this way. Im the kinda person that needs more than ''i saw'' to believe in something. Thatr all...

Comment

Let's see the video already!!!
                              i will see if can get my son to do it, im not computer savy enough,, might take a couple days

Comment

Have y'all ever seen a red or black sable German Shepherd? I guarantee you some people would see one run across the pasture and claim it was a wolf.

Comment

Working...
                                X