No announcement yet.

New Hornady 6.5 PRC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's all about sales, marketing and the benchrest guys. Remington never puts the marketing needed behind their new cartridges.

Comment

New Hornady 6.5 PRC

Originally posted by B&C View Post
      My 6.5x284 is a cooper and I can't load it as hot as my buddy does his hill country rifle. I need to mess around with the head spacing a bit to see if it gets better.

It shoots really good but I wouldn't have purchased had I known about the 6.5 creedmoor at the time.

Please send over your recipe to get a 140 over 3000 in your 284.

I think you may have mis understood. When I said over I meant a few fps as in a few not 50-100 etc. make sure you don't take this personal. I have lots of buddy's with a Creed. It's just a back and fourth ribbing thing nothing more. But 52 grains of R19 will put you right at 3000-3010 depending on barrel. I don't have a 6.5 Norma. I have one friend over my way that I shoot with does. I have a 26 Nosler. I don't know what primer or bullet seating he's running. I can try and find out. He's running a 27" barrel though. 27" is odd to me. I guess he liked Lazzeroni too much lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by JW; 01-20-2017, 11:55 AM.

Comment

I'm don't take it personally. I bought the x284 to get the most performance I could out of a non magnum 6.5 cartridge. It has a 25" barrel (buddy's is 24"). It just hasn't performed that much better than the 6.5 creedmoor (all things considered). Both are extremely lethal. My buddy is a 6.5 fanatic and has almost all of the non magnum cartridges. He likes his 6.5x55 the best.

I would like to get more performance out of the x284. 53gr of RL19 is 3100 fps with a 120 TTSX. On a hot day the bolt will stick with 53gr. The recoil indicates it's a hot load as well but the brass shows no sign of pressure. Maybe my chrono is not accurate.

Comment

New Hornady 6.5 PRC

I'm don't take it personally. I bought the x284 to get the most performance I could out of a non magnum 6.5 cartridge. It has a 25" barrel (buddy's is 24"). It just hasn't performed that much better than the 6.5 creedmoor (all things considered). Both are extremely lethal. My buddy is a 6.5 fanatic and has almost all of the non magnum cartridges. He likes his 6.5x55 the best.

I would like to get more performance out of the x284. 53gr of RL19 is 3100 fps with a 120 TTSX. On a hot day the bolt will stick with 53gr. The recoil indicates it's a hot load as well but the brass shows no sign of pressure. Maybe my chrono is not accurate.

Hm. Can't help ya on that one. Mike D can I'm sure. I wasn't a 6.5X55 Swede myself. It's on the radar. I have a 26 Nos. so I want a Swede and if I ever do get an AR I would want it in 6.5 Grendel.

I want the Swede in a European rifle though. Either a Blaser or a Sauer 404 Elegance.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
            Robert I'd be interesting in hearing about all of the other advantages you feel the Creed has over the 260?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            Mike, I love the fact that it will do its thing in an unmodified mag box on a 700 platform. The 260 often needs a wyatts and some machining to get to its optimum OAL. Considering there is virtually no performance advantage to either, the easier route to the same end just makes sense to me.

Ammo......Doesn't make a difference to folks like us who load most everything anyway, but it is a huge advantage for folks who don't. Hornady did their homework and actually got this one right. You can pick up true match grade ammo for it almost anywhere now days for 20 something bucks and expect to get 1/2MOA or better with it from any decent platform. Several different brands and bullet varieties at that. I wish I could say the same for the 260, but can't in today's market.

The only real advantage I could see the 260 had left was brass quality, but Lapua just knocked that one in the head.

Those are the reasons I favor the Creedmoor a little more than the 260 these days. The 260 AI is another story though

Comment

My 6.5-284 shoots 3072fps with 8fps SD with a 26" barrel and 140 VLDs.

I'm not sharing load data because it may not be safe in your rifle but I use RL25 powder.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                Mike, I love the fact that it will do its thing in an unmodified mag box on a 700 platform. The 260 often needs a wyatts and some machining to get to its optimum OAL. Considering there is virtually no performance advantage to either, the easier route to the same end just makes sense to me.

Ammo......Doesn't make a difference to folks like us who load most everything anyway, but it is a huge advantage for folks who don't. Hornady did their homework and actually got this one right. You can pick up true match grade ammo for it almost anywhere now days for 20 something bucks and expect to get 1/2MOA or better with it from any decent platform. Several different brands and bullet varieties at that. I wish I could say the same for the 260, but can't in today's market.

The only real advantage I could see the 260 had left was brass quality, but Lapua just knocked that one in the head.

Those are the reasons I favor the Creedmoor a little more than the 260 these days. The 260 AI is another story though

I know all those and don't really see any of them as an advantage per se'. I wonder if you can push the 260 a little harder with small primer Palma brass.

I will say that I use QL religiously. I haven't done any load comparisons but I know what I load my 260 rounds at and it's not at SAAMI max and they are a hammer.

Speaking of installing a Wyatt's box, I need to bring you my 260.

Comment

That's just it, you can certainly push it harder and up the numbers. But you're already starting behind the Creed at "max" loads for both cases. You are going to be over max just to catch it, and even farther over to pass it. The whole comparison hinges on SAAMI specs not being exceeded for both rounds. Past that threshold, who knows?

There are certainly rounds out there that safely exceed those guidelines by a good amount like the Roberts and 280 come to mind. But there were some unique circumstances in play when they were set that aren't that relevant today. However, both of the cases in this comparison are fairly recent designs, and I'd have to think the numbers are pretty realistic.

I have not had much luck hot-rodding the most recent 260 I worked with. You may well have better luck with the small primer brass. Either way, I don't see either one outperforming the other by any meaningful amount. I'd take either one and be happy with it, especially with the 130's. Starting from scratch I'd go Creed just because it's easier, but I wouldn't step over a 260 to get there.

Yeah, the sooner you get that mag box installed, the sooner you can start fitting more powder in that case

Comment

Another thing to consider if your going to try to run the small primer brass at higher pressures in a Remington, you may end up needing to bush your FP hole.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                      Another thing to consider if your going to try to run the small primer brass at higher pressures in a Remington, you may end up needing to bush your FP hole.

Good point.

Wonder how that's going to affect all the Creed rifles when Lapua releases their rumored small primer Creed brass?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                        Good point.

Wonder how that's going to affect all the Creed rifles when Lapua releases their rumored small primer Creed brass?

Mike what are the advantages of small primer brass??

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                          Mike what are the advantages of small primer brass??

Supposedly more consistent ignition and the ability to run slightly higher pressure.

Comment

It's coming!!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                              It's coming!!
                              but where are the rifles...

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                                but where are the rifles...
                                Seekins Havak is available at Cabelas

Others on the way

Only seen the ammo in the hands of Seekins and GA Precision so it's probably not on shelves quite yet

Comment

Working...
                                X