• Show
Clear All

Head West young man.

I'll stay right here.

Comment

What are you calling west tx ???

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
        I have hunted both for over 35 years. Size and racks are about the same both directions. Many times deer in East Texas don't repond to feeders as good as West Texas. You will see more deer in West Texas, but more likely to see a very large buck in East Texas. You may go 3 or more hunts in East Texas and never see a deer. I probably see deer 30% of the hunts in ET. I see deer 90+% of the time out west. You can get better deer country with less land in ET. WT you need more land because it is more open.
        I have had a couple years with streaks of 10+ hunts without seeing a deer while in the stand....

Comment

I vote West. Being from West Texas and living in East Texas now for 20 years.
          I REALLY REALLY hate the HUMIDITY!
          I dislike all the wet weather hunting you have to do here in East Texas.
          I ve been hunting in North central west Texas now for 12 years. You get all the season changes. The deer are bigger body wise. You can hunt thick mesquite stuff or wheat fields. Pretty much spoiled here.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
            I vote West. Being from West Texas and living in East Texas now for 20 years.
            I REALLY REALLY hate the HUMIDITY!
            I dislike all the wet weather hunting you have to do here in East Texas.
            I ve been hunting in North central west Texas now for 12 years. You get all the season changes. The deer are bigger body wise. You can hunt thick mesquite stuff or wheat fields. Pretty much spoiled here.
            Do you hunt around Paris? It seems like it rains up that way a lot more than where I am at.

Op, ask yourself this. Do you want to hunt or shoot? That's kind of what it sounds like people are getting at.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
              What are you calling west tx ???
              uh oh......

Comment

I would hunt whichever particular lease had the biggest deer regardless of where it was at.

Comment

As MASTERS said we grow them pretty big at our low fence Ranch in South Texas. They go thru feed like it is a buffet, especially cottonseed. Our average is up to about 250 on the hoof. Biggest last year was 276. Big old buck we called the Crab Claw 8. He was 9 last year when we finally got the opportunity for one of our guest to put him down. He looked like a Brahma bull on the geound

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

After growing up in east texas and now living back here again, and hunting a very good lease in the matador/Paducah area, this is the best way that I can describe it

It like the difference between Shiat and Ice Cream.

There are big deer in east texas but they are smart and you have to put in the work. And yes you may go a while without seeing a deer.

West texas, you can have your regular deer who you can't run off a feeder, and then you can have a good smart deer that you can't pattern. But the abundance of quality deer that you can see vs seeing a few quality deer but only once in a while can you get them on camera.

Comment

"No Deer In East Texas"

Comment

Originally posted by krisw View Post
                        Are the deer bodies larger in west Texas? I know that most of the racks seem to be. I'd try to find some place that got cold enough to kill mosquitoes during hunting season.

Deer bodies and racks are typically bigger in east Texas in my opinion. Also think about this smaller body (west Texas) makes the rack appear bigger than it is.

Comment

East Texas is the only place in Texas they have rules on how many inches a buck must be before harvest, if it is brown it's going down country, same thing with Duvall county in south Texas horrible but true

Comment

Originally posted by LuBowhunter View Post
                            Deer bodies and racks are typically bigger in east Texas in my opinion. Also think about this smaller body (west Texas) makes the rack appear bigger than it is.
                            Thanks for the laugh.

West Texas deer....north of Abilene are as big bodied as East Texas deer with bigger and wider racks and they are waaaaaay more plentiful. It can be just as hard hunting as East Tx, well not really but harder than the Hill Country. Now by West as in San Angelo they are like Hill Country deer........but a bit larger.

Comment

West of I35 would be my preference but i have come to enjoy east Tx hunting

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                                "No Deer In East Texas"
                                So go West

Comment

Working...
                                X