2 new bow blinds - pic heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 new bow blinds - pic heavy

So I had this design idea for a blind a while ago and have been brainstorming it, and tweaking it, and saving/hunting for supplies, since the end of last season. I had a hard time explaining the shell to the boys at the ranch, but God bless them, they finally decided to just trust me and help me build these things. Each blind has 4 or 5 - 5' t-posts, 1 - 5'x20' utility panel, and 2 or 3 strips of scrap utility panel to form the domed roof.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	resize 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	24875893

We took strips and pieces of old bed sheets and table cloths I talked my friends and family out of and completely submerged them into a five gallon bucket of latex paint I had been gathering and saving since I dreamed this idea up. Got the material saturated in the paint and then started laying it over the "skeleton" of the blind. Kind of like Paper Mache.

Name:	resize 2.jpg
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	24875894

Name:	resize 3.jpg
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	24875895

Name:	resize 4.jpg
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	24875896

As the paint dries, it shrinks up around the frame and gives it a hard shell. For this to work right, we used just regular latex paint and LOTS of it. I mean, those peices of material have to be totally saturated. It is very messy. The good news is, nothing is needed to hold the material in place except the paint. It just sticks to itself. Look at the sides of the shooting window in the inside view pic below. When the material was wet, we just smoothed it around the wall and let it dry.

Name:	resize 5.jpg
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	24875897

Next was the brushing in. Just poked some holes in the dried "skin" of the blind and insterted a bunch of zip ties. Held the brush on nicely and if/when we need to repaint or make repairs to the blinds over the seasons, just clip the zip tie and re-install a new one with a fresh piece of brush.

Name:	resize 6.jpg
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	24875898

I didn't plan the color of the paint to be so light, but I really like how it turned out. In fact, when I was bumming old paint from anyone that had it, or home depot and walmart, I was always asking for mis-tints. I told everyone, "I'll take whatever you can spare. I don't care about the color."
    We probably would have spent more time camoflaging the paintjob with accent colors but we were doing all this work in the middle of the day July 4th weekend and it was freakin' hot! The next two pics show the blinds more or less finished. At least, these are the last pics taken of the blinds. Since these two were taken, the insides of the blinds have been spraypainted black and a heavy black cloth door was installed so we don't silhouette. Some extra brushing has been done, but not too much. Just to fill in some of the holes where the green from the Mesquite dried up. I didn't want to lose the effect of the light colored background. We are debating rigging some kind of shoot through mesh, but we'll see. Killed one doe out of one of these already, but sadly I have only been hunting one weekend this season. It sucks, I have spent more time building these darnthing than I have spent hunting in them. Anyway, thanks for reading.

Name:	resize 7.jpg
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	24875899

Name:	resize 8.jpg
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	24875900

BTW the total cost for me to build both of these was $8.00 or so worth of zip ties. ALL of the material was stuff I had or was given. Panels, paint, etc. was scrap or given so I don't know what it would have cost to build with new material. Panels would have been $30 to $50. Mis-tint paint at wally world, the depot, or sherwin williams was quoted at $5-8 /gal. FYI.

Kewl lookin blind

Comment

Looks cool, but what happens to the paint when it rains.

Comment

Once it dries, the water just rolls off. The weekend I sat we got 3" of rain and I was dry as a bone. Its the same paint you might use to paint a box blind. Just reapply every couple of seasons.

Comment

Looks good, but the light inside makes it easy to see in. I would suggest hanging a black tarp or fabric inside to help darken it up.

Comment

How did you suspend the panels for your roof?

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
              Looks good, but the light inside makes it easy to see in. I would suggest hanging a black tarp or fabric inside to help darken it up.
              We did. Heavy black cloth for the door and spray painted the inside black.

Originally posted by PD3 View Post
              How did you suspend the panels for your roof?
              The strips of panel were about 10' long. We arched them up and wired and zip-tied them in place and then wired them together where they intersected at the top of the blind.

Comment

Nice design! i agree on making the inside darker so its harder to see in.

Comment

These turned out to be pretty sweet. Very creative. Let us know how they hold up over time.

Comment

Cool. So it's held together by zip ties and just the paint sticking? I'm wondering how a year or so in the weather will treat it? Just being a sheet won't it root?

Comment

Those are pretty slick! Good job.

Comment

very creative nice job

Comment

pretty cool! I like the idea!

dont like the messy bed sheet part, but still a great idea.

I am going to think it over and see what I come up with for a secondary wrap...

Comment

Originally posted by Cuz View Post
                            Cool. So it's held together by zip ties and just the paint sticking? I'm wondering how a year or so in the weather will treat it? Just being a sheet won't it root?
                            For the most part, the frame is wired together with heavy gauge fencing wire. I will admit that towards the end of construction of the second blind, we ran out of wire and started using zip ties. The frame is solid and ain't going anywhere. Also, the sheets aren't really exposed, if we saturated them correctly. After a day or so drying time the outside shell feels almost like plastic or fiberglass. I don't think I will have to do too much maintenance in the future other than rolling on a new coat of paint every couple of seasons.

Comment

I am doing something similar, wrapping a welded panel frame with black int/ext carpet. with the black facing in then paint the backing of the carpet well on the exterior. Should work well and the more paint the better protection. I would suggest using the heaviest canvas material you can. I also only cut windows that are 1-2 squares wide and maybe 3-4 long so the deer can't see in as well.
                              The "paper machet" idea is a good one!

Comment

Working...
                              X