No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know. Lft 3 is a little short. Mass appears exceptional and frame is really big. Will try for pics out of velvet. Gonna look and see if I can find pic from last yr.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyloMexico View Post
      I would say high 70+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Heck thats how he looks! I just cant get numbers to match that.

42 on mass???? HUGE on an 8pt!

58 on tines? Once again HUGE on an 8pt

52 on beams? HUGE

21 inside?

That gets him to 171.

What do you see Billy?

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post

52 on beams? HUGE

21 inside?

That gets him to 171.

What do you see Billy?

Tine length is where you're short. I think his G2s are so big your confused. I'm saying 15 inch on G2s and 11 inch G3s. 7 inch brow tines. That's where I think he's higher. Other than that you're close.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyloMexico View Post
          Tine length is where you're short. I think his G2s are so big your confused. I'm saying 15 inch on G2s and 11 inch G3s. 7 inch brow tines. That's where I think he's higher. Other than that you're close.

That adds 8 inches over six tines so yep i could be 1.2 inches off per tine. i hope i am. I can say that it has happened to me a couple of times on those deer. The horn inhand just stunned me compared to the pics. this one looks HUGE in that pic.

Comment

52 on beams? HUGE

21 inside?

That gets him to 171.

What do you see Billy?
            I'm thinking mid 160s.
            110 down
            55 up (the G3s hurt him a little, especially the left one)

Heck of an eight point though.

Comment

Originally posted by lab man View Post
              I'm thinking mid 160s.
              110 down
              55 up (the G3s hurt him a little, especially the left one)

Heck of an eight point though.
              I would totally agree with you if I hadnt missed every one of them on his place to the low side in the past. HighRoller and the 190 ten that died are the only two i was dead on..

Comment

I would totally agree with you if I hadnt missed every one of them on his place to the low side in the past. HighRoller and the 190 ten that died are the only two i was dead on..

His deer with big frames always surprise me too. That's why I said 15 inch G2s.

Comment

Course y'all know we aren't going to shoot him this yr. 5 yr old All speculation on score

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                    Course y'all know we aren't going to shoot him this yr. 5 yr old All speculation on score
                    So how long until we see a hit list for this year?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Here he is from last yr. Only pic we got. He was never seen live.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I'm curious if you have considered or what you would think about drilling wheat into your vetch late fall (possibly after your application of roundup) letting the deer browse the wheat through the spring then crimping or dragging the stubble. I would hope the wheat stubble would add organic matter and slow down the weeds along with good nutrition. Same could be done with cereal rye but would not be as good for deer and would need to be terminated before seed matures. I have not done this but after seeing your success with vetch and my aggravation with soybeans and peas (deer over browsing) I am wanting to try vetch but want to keep something growing year around while building my organic matter and suppressing weeds.

Comment

Fair enough. so now.. you have seen him alive. You have measured many similar deer. Please give us your numbers. How does he compare to the 170 8pt yall killed?

Comment

Fair enough. so now.. you have seen him alive. You have measured many similar deer. Please give us your numbers. How does he compare to the 170 8pt yall killed?
                            I reserve right to re submit once out of velvet assuming we can find him. For now I think upper 160's. I think the lft 3 keeps him from 170.

I hate scoring and aging summer bucks!

Comment

Originally posted by nat3285 View Post
                              I'm curious if you have considered or what you would think about drilling wheat into your vetch late fall (possibly after your application of roundup) letting the deer browse the wheat through the spring then crimping or dragging the stubble. I would hope the wheat stubble would add organic matter and slow down the weeds along with good nutrition. Same could be done with cereal rye but would not be as good for deer and would need to be terminated before seed matures. I have not done this but after seeing your success with vetch and my aggravation with soybeans and peas (deer over browsing) I am wanting to try vetch but want to keep something growing year around while building my organic matter and suppressing weeds.
                              That wouldn't work for me as either I would need to drill the wheat after a frost when the vetch has died back [ too late I think ] or drill thru growing vetch which I would be concerned about hurting or killing the vetch. I don't burn with gly till late spring before the vetch starts regrowth from seed bank.

This year I did experiment with drilling vetch into a standing crop of crimson clover. I think those cultivars could have compatible growth patterns. The crimson is done late April to first of May. Generally the vetch doesn't start growing till early May . So either I will lightly disc the finished crimson or simply let it create a thatch to germinate the vetch in the seed bank. The crimson will have gone to seed for future seasons Either way I have crimson all winter/spring then vetch all summer.

Thats the theory. We will see.

Comment

I reserve right to re submit once out of velvet assuming we can find him. For now I think upper 160's. I think the lft 3 keeps him from 170.

I hate scoring and aging summer bucks!
                                I agree with all of that. Keep us posted.

Comment

Working...
                                X