No announcement yet.

LBJ Grassland 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunted this AM. Rattle sequence drew an immediate appearance of a curious doe. She came and sniffed the tinks scent wick I hung up. Followed soon after by this little fella grunting and following her every step with some time to sniff the wick himself. Pretty cool. Saw nada else wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Went after work, had something come in downwind of me. It didn't snort so I'm guessing it was a buck. I could actually hear it testing the air. Pretty neat experience for me.

Also saw some hunters camping on the side of the road... I guess it's cheaper than a motel.

Comment

Hotel?

Any of you guys, that live in DFW, get a hotel room in Decatur so you don't have to get up super early and drive an hour plus before you hunt? If so what is a good place. I was thinking the Holliday Inn or LaQuinta only because they are the northern most places in Decatur closer to the Grasslands. Another reason I want to do this is to give me more time in case I need to pick another hunting location in case there are alot of cars at my spots. Ill be hunting during the weekdays because that's when I'm off. I figure there'll be fewer people but then again I have never been to LBJ when hunting season is in full swing.

Another concern I have is taking my shotgun to my room. In light of recent events I don't want to cause alarm but at the same time I don't want to leave my gear in my car in a hotel parking lot all night at all.
        Last edited by cloud8a; 11-12-2017, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cloud8a View Post
          Any of you guys, that live in DFW, get a hotel room in Decatur so you don't have to get up super early and drive an hour plus before you hunt? If so what is a good place. I was thinking the Holliday Inn or LaQuinta only because they are the northern most places in Decatur closer to the Grasslands. Another reason I want to do this is to give me more time in case I need to pick another hunting location in case there are alot of cars at my spots. Ill be hunting during the weekdays because that's when I'm off. I figure there'll be fewer people but then again I have never been to LBJ when hunting season is in full swing.

Another concern I have is taking my shotgun to my room. In light of recent events I don't want to cause alarm but at the same time I don't want to leave my gear in my car in a hotel parking lot all night at all.

Just camp at LBJ

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
            Just camp at LBJ
            I have. But interested in the getting a room aspect of it this time.

Comment

I looked into this briefly. The cost was just not worth it. I either camp or leave early.

Comment

Anyone see anything this weekend? Saw nothing yesterday morning. And saw a small buck this evening. Was a nice evening.

Comment

Hunted this evening neither of us saw anything. Scrapes seemed to look just like they did on Tuesday.

Comment

This was too funny

Check out this tracking job on the LBJ.

Comment

Nice buck. Im pretty sure i saw that truck last weekend. Wnt say where but congrats to the hunter. Hunters.

Comment

It's all about money and how much you got. And on carrying guns into the hotel, not an issue. My dad and I recently went to a two gun competition and carried everything in past the front desk. Not even a second look from the clerk...

Comment

Originally posted by seminole1990 View Post
                          How many points on the one antler?

If it’s 6 then you’re good. Otherwise the way I read it is that it has to be “an unforked” antler, which means something has to be there
                          [ATTACH]880965[/ATTACH]

They did away with the 6 points on one antler rule in 2004, has to be 13" or more inside spread, # of points don't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                            They did away with the 6 points on one antler rule in 2004, has to be 13" or more inside spread, # of points don't matter.

Thanks. Got it.

Comment

Went out this morning. Saw 3 trucks at one spot. almost three more than I have seen since going out to LBJ last spring. No one at any of the other spots in the same unit. One of the larger units. I went on a quarter or half a mile further away to the get out I had planned on. Empty of cars but wondered why they were grouped up back at that one.

I stalked into the brush for a few hours. It was 10am and there wasn't anyone but those 3 a good distance away and it was Wednesday so I figured I wouldn't hurt anyone's sit. I hiked 2 1/2 hours in the opposite direction and saw nothing and heard no shots.

I did locate some consistent deer tracks that were following a path to and from water. In the middle of the trail I saw a zip lock bag hanging from a tree. It had yellow liquid in it and thought maybe it was a lure. I'm bran new at this so I don't know maybe you guys can enlighten me on this.

Plan on sitting on those tracks next Monday before light. It will be Thanksgiving week so I don't know how it will go crowd wise. Hopefully however it goes it will be a learning experience on how to hunt the LBJ. I have a feeling that Ill need to move on to other units but we'll see. Public land hunting may be hard and trial by error but its all I got right now and I'm grateful for it.

P.S. It would be nice if some folks cleaned up after themselves. Its a rare blessing to have open land in this area to freely roam, hunt and fish. I know this is an old and moot complaint but my humanness made me do it just like their humanness made them litter.

Comment

I can’t find it on the FS website. Do they restrict the shot type on LBJ? I know some places want buck shot, others slug only.

Comment

Working...
                                X