No announcement yet.

LBJ Grassland 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seen a buck today that only had its right antler. Left was completely gone. It did go past his ear in the alart position. But though since it lost his left i didnt want to risk it. Would it still be legal or not?

Comment

Originally posted by Brentwalkertx View Post
      Seen a buck today that only had its right antler. Left was completely gone. It did go past his ear in the alart position. But though since it lost his left i didnt want to risk it. Would it still be legal or not?

How many points on the one antler?

If it’s 6 then you’re good. Otherwise the way I read it is that it has to be “an unforked” antler, which means something has to be there
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	24517980

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by seminole1990 View Post
        How many points on the one antler?

If it’s 6 then you’re good. Otherwise the way I read it is that it has to be “an unforked” antler, which means something has to be there
        [ATTACH]880965[/ATTACH]

Only had 5 on the one antler. Thanks for the reply. I was looking at him and though if he had both he would be legal for sure. But with one missing i didnt want to risk it. Or the warden thinking i broke it off or something.

Comment

Snakes

Hey guys I as out yesterday and on my way back to my truck I got stuck down in a creek with copperheads all around me. Every direction I tried to take to get out to my truck I ran in to another one. I have only seen maybe 2 in my life before this. Last night I saw 6 in a radius of about 20 yards... I backed out and had to walk about a mile around. Normally it wouldn’t bother me but there was a lot of brush and dead trees and the only way up was through a washed out crevasse. So the snakes at Chest to eye level... (I was wearing snake gaiters) and to beat that when I was walking back the road I came across another one crossing the road. Why so many copperheads? Weather? Watch where you step out there if you done wear gaiters!

Comment

Originally posted by ceg0106 View Post
            Hey guys I as out yesterday and on my way back to my truck I got stuck down in a creek with copperheads all around me. Every direction I tried to take to get out to my truck I ran in to another one. I have only seen maybe 2 in my life before this. Last night I saw 6 in a radius of about 20 yards... I backed out and had to walk about a mile around. Normally it wouldn’t bother me but there was a lot of brush and dead trees and the only way up was through a washed out crevasse. So the snakes at Chest to eye level... (I was wearing snake gaiters) and to beat that when I was walking back the road I came across another one crossing the road. Why so many copperheads? Weather? Watch where you step out there if you done wear gaiters!

The temps are just right for them to be out sunning in the evening. They find a spot where the ground is warm, or where they can get direct sunlight.

Comment

Snakes gotta eat too, before hibernation. But then I killed my 3rd largest ratter in December one year. And had a buddy get bit in December a few years ago. Any time it warms up after a cool spell, they will be out hunting too.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by Brentwalkertx View Post
                Did he have a limp? I have a feeling I saw the same buck on Friday.

Comment

Wow. Glad you are ok. That would unnerve any man. Maybe the burning in some areas pushed them around a bit. Sounds like an entire nest was displaced somehow. Again glad you are ok, ptsd aside. Whew!

Comment

Will be headed out to hunt during the week. My hope is a) my stand and stick aren’t damaged, b) my entire area is not completely void of cover, and c) the burn last week further steered gun hunters away from my little spot. Will go in preparing for the worst.
                    Has anyone heard hunt report from the weekend? Thinking the heat has kept opportunities low. Should be a good week with better weather and rut and chasing kicking in. Still going with the bow!

Comment

That's crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by seminole1990 View Post
                        Will be headed out to hunt during the week. My hope is a) my stand and stick aren’t damaged, b) my entire area is not completely void of cover, and c) the burn last week further steered gun hunters away from my little spot. Will go in preparing for the worst.
                        Has anyone heard hunt report from the weekend? Thinking the heat has kept opportunities low. Should be a good week with better weather and rut and chasing kicking in. Still going with the bow!

Anyone have a list of units that were burned? Or is it just kind of a surprise when you show up?

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                          Anyone have a list of units that were burned? Or is it just kind of a surprise when you show up?

There is a previous post in this thread showing a posted sign of all potential burn areas. Also consider going on Facebook and find the LBJ Caddo page. The burn areas are posted there. Jeff Stoney runs it and he is who I spoke with before. He’s the man of LBJ Grasslands. Good info. Hope that helps.

Comment

I had ash falling all over me Friday PM. They were burning close by. I wasn't able to get it done at the Grasslands this year. Had 3-4 shooters on trail camera and were starting to show up during daylight but that's okay. I'm focusing all my efforts on Grapevine for the rest of the season! Best of luck all!

Comment

Just found this on the FS website. Looks like the proposed burns.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmith_FO01 View Post
                                For anyone that maybe heading out. They are about to start burning. Here are a list of the units

Here is that post from earlier...

Comment

Working...
                                X