NFL overtime rule rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NoFence View Post
    It needs to be changed but it won't happen. To those who think it's perfectly fine, imagine if KC won the toss. Most people call Brady the best ever, but he never would've even seen the field in overtime if they didn't win the toss. If a team's offense has scored a touchdown on every single offensive play of the season, but they lose the toss, there's a chance they don't get to touch the ball.

That's a flawed system.

Well stated.....

Comment

It needs to be changed but it won't happen. To those who think it's perfectly fine, imagine if KC won the toss. Most people call Brady the best ever, but he never would've even seen the field in overtime if they didn't win the toss. If a team's offense has scored a touchdown on every single offensive play of the season, but they lose the toss, there's a chance they don't get to touch the ball.

That's a flawed system.
      If they made a touchdown on every possession they probably wouldn't be in OT..........

Comment

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
        TBH these days...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        no kidding! KC lost! its just a game.

Comment

If a team's offense has scored a touchdown on every single offensive play of the season, but they lose the toss, there's a chance they don't get to touch the ball.

That's a flawed system.

Are you really going to roll with that as a justification? That extreme unfathomable example? Come on man

Defense is every bit a part of the team as the offense. Joe Klatt nail it in my quote above. "Make a play on 3rd down". Just one. If your team can't get a stop you don't deserve to win...

The Rams got it done on defense with some help from Brees......

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
            If they made a touchdown on every possession they probably wouldn't be in OT..........
            Stand up, the point went right over your head.

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            Are you really going to roll with that as a justification? That extreme unfathomable example? Come on man

Defense is every bit a part of the team as the offense. Joe Klatt nail it in my quote above. "Make a play on 3rd down". Just one. If your team can't get a stop you don't deserve to win...

Both of yall ignored the first part. If the best qb in history didn't get a chance to take a snap in overtime of the AFC championship game because of a coin flip, all the talk across the country would be about changing the rules.

It would be like baseball going to extra innings and if the away team scores the game is over.

Comment

Both of yall ignored the first part. If the best qb in history didn't get a chance to take a snap in overtime of the AFC championship game because of a coin flip, all the talk across the country would be about changing the rules.

It would be like baseball going to extra innings and if the away team scores the game is over.
              No, the point was stupid, and the best qb in history did get the ball in ot and made the defense look like a bunch of eight graders.

If kc didn't like the ot rules, maybe they should have scored, i don't know, a point in the first half, but they didn't so.......

Comment

My point has nothing to do with Sundays games or any other Nfl overtime game, I do not think the system is good to determine who is the best team. Baseball does not do it this way, each team has a chance to score. Hell just flip a coin to determine the winner, that would solve all the debates, lol. I can see it now, in baseball extra innings the go ahead run was made off a home run, game over, you should have made a better pitch, lol.

Comment

Yes I did ignore it after I read it, because it's a moot point after 4 quarters....

Comment

Exactly. Make a play. The defense gave up 3rd and 10, 3 times in OT.

Comment

Yes I did ignore it after I read it, because it's a moot point after 4 quarters....
                      Yep in football ot is about getting the game wrapped up quickly, with less chance of injury cause tired people are more susceptible to injury, and a better chance of being ready for next week. I believeif kc won this would be a non issue, but people love to hate ne, so they gotta cry.

Comment

They already had 4 quarters to equally show that.
                        So just let the coin toss decide who wins.

Comment

Before 1996 there was no overtime in college or high school so the NFLs sudden death preceded them. NFL then improved on their own format with the current system...

There are flaws in the college format as well. See the 7 OT Aggy/ LSU game. Dead defenses letting offenses score at will and the NFL kickers would make FGs at Will spotting it at the 25.
                          If the NFLs method was any good at all, college and HS would’ve followed suit.

Comment

Originally posted by Deuce16 View Post
                            In overtime, start the kickers on the 30 yardline and add 5 yds each time. Play it like knockout! First one to miss and the other one to make it, WINS.
                            Or line the QBs up and see who can throw the farthest.
                            Make it about defense, line the Dline up and have a foot race while dragging the other teams QB from a rope.
                            Have the Head Coaches play Rock Paper Scissors
                            Its a game folks, someone has to win and some has to lose. There is NO perfect answer to give everyone the same fighting chance. They'll always be the edge to one team or the other. What if the team the deferred the opening toss, got one less possession than the other team due to the LUCK of the first coin flip and they scored TDs on every possession? "Well they got the ball more than we did...."
                            If both teams get a chance, one teams offense is going to rest or the other teams defense until they get their turn on the field.
                            Losers will always have an excuse. But I will say the officiating was more than terrible for both games and hope they get reprimanded for their lack of doing their job. Theres no way that there was less than 3 officials looking at that PI play on the Saints Rams game, and NONE of them thought is was a penalty? Seriously? There has to be some consequences that come out of these two games on the officiating side.
                            Maybe MLB should make extra innings sudden death. If the other team scores you don’t get to bat or If you hold them you get to bat. That’s how stupid the NFL overtime is. Which I’m not surprised. It is the NFL

Comment

Originally posted by drbonner View Post
                              He says as he casually ignores the ot outcome of the saints/rams game.......

Comment

Originally posted by drbonner View Post

I mean again, how ridiculous is that statement. Did it win it for New Orleans this past weekend? Do they flip the coin and then just walk off the field with one team celebrating victory?...

The coin toss decides if your offense or defense gets to try to win you the game... Remember there are two sides of the ball?... It's a team game.

Comment

Working...
                                X