No announcement yet.

Am I crazy for considering this....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a bowyer in San Antonio. You can come by and check it out if you like. Pm me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Build a few for yourself first. There is good advice above. From my observations building bows is a tough business. Several of the top bowyers in the country have walked away from the business at the top of their game. Google Brandon Stahl or Ken Rouloff (sp) and look at some of the gorgeous bows they were building when they hung it up.

On the flip side, for encouragement, you may want to get a copy of the book "Traditional Bowyers of America" by Bertalan. The book is not exactly contemporary. I think that it was written in the mid eighties so many of the bowyers written about have since passed on or retired. A common thread seems to be how many of them kept their days jobs but started building bows in their free time. Some techniques and procedures are discussed. If nothing else, the book is a good read and will give you a sense of what is involved in becoming a full time bowyer.

Comment

How long have you been shooting traditional bows? How many different bows have you shot? Have you hunted with one? Do you like hunting and shooting them? Are you willing to not really do a lot of hunting and shooting any more? Which do you love more, hanging out with people who are really good shooters... or being a good shooter yourself? How patient are you? Are you willing to wait 5-10 years before becoming a bowyer that can make ends meet just being a bowyer? What experience do you have in running a small business?

Just a mixed bag of questions that I would ask myself and internalize.

Comment

Does osage wood make you ill..i have a friend who gets sick for a week after making an osage selfbow.

Comment

Originally posted by Cwag View Post
            I'm a bowyer in San Antonio. You can come by and check it out if you like. Pm me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            PM sent, thanks Connor

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
              How long have you been shooting traditional bows? How many different bows have you shot? Have you hunted with one? Do you like hunting and shooting them? Are you willing to not really do a lot of hunting and shooting any more? Which do you love more, hanging out with people who are really good shooters... or being a good shooter yourself? How patient are you? Are you willing to wait 5-10 years before becoming a bowyer that can make ends meet just being a bowyer? What experience do you have in running a small business?

Just a mixed bag of questions that I would ask myself and internalize.
              Good questions,

I just picked up traditional, but still have a compound. I am new to archery hunting, but always wanted to do it. Now that the kids have moved out, I have the finances and time to devote to it. I just feel traditional is the ultimate challenge and those that harvest consistently are the ultimate hunters. Its just so hard to do, so they have my utmost respect. I don't mind waiting the 5-10 years, but think it is best for me and the bowline that it takes that long, because it won't feel like a burdensome job. If it grows into that great, if it doesn't great. I just find the traditional side to be very close nit and I value that. I just want to learn and craft that I enjoy and help others get into it.

Comment

It's a long road, but a rewarding one! Connor can answer all your questions!

Comment

A couple of thoughts.
                  I always thought that I wanted to be a wildlife biologist. Then, in college I was working as a wildlife technician and figured out that wildlife biologists have to work all during the hunting seasons. I changed my major.
                  I shot a friend's osage selfbow the other day. I was very impressed. That thing was zippy and was less than 40# draw. You don't have to deal with the fiberglass fibers either.

Comment

I made and sold bows for 3 years from 2002-2005. They industry is saturated with builders and many folks hesitate going with an unknown bowyer. I decided I enjoyed making bows for my own enjoyment more and closed up shop.

Good luck and have fun.

Comment

Thanks guys, those are some great points. I thought about making ARs and that too is saturated, but there is a comapny in SA call Sons of Liberty Gun Works who beat the odds, so I wonder if that could be me in 10 years. As many say, if the Good Lords wants it to happen it will, if it is not in HIS plan for me then it won't. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me. Thanks.

Comment

Maybe if you got solid at it selling build along classes would be attractive to customers.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
                          A couple of thoughts.
                          I always thought that I wanted to be a wildlife biologist. Then, in college I was working as a wildlife technician and figured out that wildlife biologists have to work all during the hunting seasons. I changed my major.
                          I shot a friend's osage selfbow the other day. I was very impressed. That thing was zippy and was less than 40# draw. You don't have to deal with the fiberglass fibers either.
                          That is what I am thinking I am going through now is giving it a hard honest look at the process and demands so I can determine if I have the skills, patience and determination to see it through.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                            Maybe if you got solid at it selling build along classes would be attractive to customers.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
                            Very good point. I am sure Boy Scouts and Outdoor enthusiasts might take it. I do enjoy guiding people through stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
                              It's a long road, but a rewarding one! Connor can answer all your questions!
                              I can only imagine. I did speak with Connor and he has offered me a chance to see his shop and ask questions. Thanks Connor!

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Arra View Post
                                If you are a hands-on learner and want to start with some selfbows come to OJAM next March. Just south of Stillwater OK. After 3 full days of draw knifing, scraping, tillering, sanding and shooting you will have a great time, be covered in yellow dust and get an idea if you want to do this as hobby/vocation without any investment other than gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                ojam rocks

Comment

Working...
                                X