Different kinds of oats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different kinds of oats

What is the difference between Harrison, Coronado, Coker and Bob oats? In terms of planting a winter plot

I normally drill feed oats since they are cheaper

Pm sent

Comment

Bump because I'm interested in some educated responses on this topic as well.

Comment

I have planted both but the seed oats have always grown better for me, I think it is worth the extra cost considering all that goes into planting them. I bought seed oats for 19.50 per bag Monday, good luck.

Comment

We always plant Bob oats....and have pretty good luck. I believe that is what is in Buck Forage oats.

Comment

I plant bob oats. feed oats usually don't germinate as well as seed oats. Take a small sample and put them in a folded wet paper towel. Leave them a couple of days and you can see how many sprout. I've had some where the majority did not sprout.

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
              We always plant Bob oats....and have pretty good luck. I believe that is what is in Buck Forage oats.
              I did not know this!

I drilled feed oats last year and and I think I had a good turnout on them

Comment

Buck forage is its own variety of oats I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                  Buck forage is its own variety of oats I believe.
                  I was under this assumption as well. Just not gonna spend $35-40 a bag

Comment

Back in the day i just sowed my wild oats

Comment

Oats

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
                      I'm very intrigued by this statement... please, tell us more about bob oats and buck forage oats

Comment

I've always bought majority racehorse oats and have overall good luck with them. Sometimes I get some buck forage and mix to ensure a good plot.

If some of the racehorse don't come up it's usually okay because I can double the amount for less money and still get a nice plot. I did have one year several years back where racehorse didn't come up and I had to redo all my plots with buck forage.

Comment

I've had best luck with bob oats. Feed oats will grow, but at lower germination rate. For what it cost to plant a field correct.... spend the extra $10

Buck forage is its own "magic" variety. It has the word buck in the title and promoted by dr deer. I've tested side by side twice with bob oats and the deer prefer the bob hands down... at 1/5 the cost

The buck forage WILL handle extreme cold better. Which USUALLY isn't an issue in Texas. If it is plant wheat mixed in to cover that base

Comment

One thing you can do to make your oat fields better is to fertilize heavily. We apply 200lbs per acre of 30-10-10

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                              One thing you can do to make your oat fields better is to fertilize heavily. We apply 200lbs per acre of 30-10-10

This

Skinny

Comment

Working...
                              X