No announcement yet.

Anyone else hunt with a Savage 99?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first rifle was the 250 from over 30 years ago. My son also took his first deer with it. Hopefully he can pass it down to his kids one day

Comment

Originally posted by clayg08 View Post
      My first rifle was the 250 from over 30 years ago. My son also took his first deer with it. Hopefully he can pass it down to his kids one day

That’s cool!

Comment

That was the first high-powered rifle that I owned - a .243. My Dad bought my brother and I them as payment for a winters worth of logging work. He ordered them thru a friend and they showed up as consecutively serial numbered guns! I was 12 and my brother 14. We both still have them. By the time I was 25 I had fired several thousand rounds thru it. Accuracy suffered so I put it away. I should dig it out and try to tune it back up.
        In eastern Montana I killed a whitetail doe at 443 yards across a plowed field. So, it was a shooter! And yes, I have witnesses.

Comment

Originally posted by oneeye View Post
          That was the first high-powered rifle that I owned - a .243. My Dad bought my brother and I them as payment for a winters worth of logging work. He ordered them thru a friend and they showed up as consecutively serial numbered guns! I was 12 and my brother 14. We both still have them. By the time I was 25 I had fired several thousand rounds thru it. Accuracy suffered so I put it away. I should dig it out and try to tune it back up.
          In eastern Montana I killed a whitetail doe at 443 yards across a plowed field. So, it was a shooter! And yes, I have witnesses.
          Cool story!

Comment

I want one

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
              I want one
              Nice ones are getting harder to find....

Comment

I do occassionally.
                open sight .300 Savage I inherited from grandad

Comment

I have a .243, but haven't hunted with it in years

Comment

FYI y'all If you want to know the year of manufacture of your Savage 99 look here.
                    Savage, Marlin, Winchester! Dates of manufacture for the following rifles:

Comment

Grand Dad had an open sight 300 and a 243 with a straight 4x
                      I got the 300 little cousin got the 243
                      I’ve killed a pig and he killed a good buck one day i sat with him
                      Great American rifle

Comment

I have a Savage 99F in .308 that I bought used about 20 years ago. Dropped numerous whitetail with it from Kansas to Texas. It was my first rifle I bought and truly loved since I am a left handed shooter.

Comment

Originally posted by DRettele View Post
                          I have a Savage 99F in .308 that I bought used about 20 years ago. Dropped numerous whitetail with it from Kansas to Texas. It was my first rifle I bought and truly loved since I am a left handed shooter.
                          Awesome! The 99F is my favorite.... I’ve killed several pigs with mine..and some coyotes....

Comment

Buddy of mine has one in .308 I’ve shot it and really considered finding one.

Comment

Originally posted by Trailerman3 View Post
                              Buddy of mine has one in .308 I’ve shot it and really considered finding one.
                              Most of them..I run across are in 300 Savage.... It’s a good round tho..and similar to a 308 round..... I see a 308 or 243 ever so often....

Comment

Love them. Have hunted off and on with .243, .250 and .300. Grew up with my dad collecting them, bought two myself and wish I still had some of the ones Dad traded or sold. Great shooters.

Comment

Working...
                                X