Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bow shop for recurve in Sherman or Dallas area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow shop for recurve in Sherman or Dallas area?

Is there a shop that would be recommended to get my recurve set up at anywhere in between or in Dallas/Sherman?

I've been shooting my 47lb Fred bear recurve with some cheap arrows that were recommended by Cabelas.

I need some better quality arrows (buff recommended some- need to find the piece of paper that I wrote the kind down on 150 hunter something).

But I also need some string silencers and make sure it's set up properly, quiver, case etc...

The recurve bug has bit. Thanks.

Also suggest that you try 3 Rivers Archery online. Lots of trad equipment/ accessories and their customer support by phone is very knowledgeable to answer questions.

When I shot trad, I loved my cedar arrows- they smell soooooo good when they break in half! Just kidding. I had success with the Carbon Vapor wood grained arrows, they look and fly good.

Comment

Thanks Bill, I will look at them on-line for some of the stuff I may need.

Comment

3Rivers will become your "dealer" for your new addiction.
        Also, with help from this forum, you'll find you can learn to do most everything needed to get started in trad archery.

Comment

If you dont mind the drive, on target in canton can help you get it setup. However id recommend you just find someone who lives close to you to lend a hand.

Comment

The best way is to find someone in your area that shoots learn from them. I know the guy from Dry Creek bows lives around there I think.

Comment

I think there is a place in Paris but I don't have any details or directions.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
                Is there a shop that would be recommended to get my recurve set up at anywhere in between or in Dallas/Sherman?

I've been shooting my 47lb Fred bear recurve with some cheap arrows that were recommended by Cabelas.

I need some better quality arrows (buff recommended some- need to find the piece of paper that I wrote the kind down on 150 hunter something).

But I also need some string silencers and make sure it's set up properly, quiver, case etc...

Welcome to the addiction!

Wish you were closer and I'd just have you over for the evening. I keep about 100 spare arrows of all kinds just so we can determine which size an archer should be shooting. My guess is, for your setup, you'll want something in the 500 or 600 spine range, depending on the length of the arrow. CX Heritage 90's or 150's would probably work, but any 500 or 600 spine carbon will likely put you in the ballpark (again, depending on the length of the arrow and also, point weight).

I had to learn all this stuff the "hard way" - pretty much on my own - but it's also the best way for it to all "stick" long term. Once you work through the process of learning to properly set up and tune a traditional bow, you will always have it, and you'll know more about arrow flight and bow tuning than 90% of the guys and gals out there.

OL Adcock "translated" the old Easton tuning guide into traditional terms many years ago, and it's still a good resource.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post

Maybe Carbon Express Heritage 150s?? Those are what I shoot in a similar draw weight.

Like John said, it takes some trial and error to get your arrows setup properly. Somebody with enough shafts and a set of points in various weights can get you setup in an hour or so. My bow shop is great: they carry the heritage arrows, and they admit to NOT knowing how to tune a trad bow and are happy to refer to me one of their trad customers. I like it when a sales guy is honest!

I was very fortunate in that a trad TBHer on here practically gave me a bunch of arrow shafts of varying stiffness and I purchased a field tip kit online that let me just play around.

Bow shop name will remain nameless, but I did buy a backup bow off a guy for whom a bow shop had sold him some really stiff arrows for his bow weight and his draw length (40lb and <28".) It was nice because when I got to 50lbs, I used those arrows/shafts to find an arrow combo.

Gotta find a trad guy/gal... not necessarily a shop.
                  Last edited by SwampRabbit; 08-19-2015, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Oh and one other thing. Setting up a bow is pretty straight forward. About the only tools you need are a tape measure and a bow stringer. Nice to haves are a bow square ($10) and nocking pliers (if you use brass nocks instead of string nocking points.)

You can youtube a lot about how to setup a traditional bow. Unlike a compound bow that has a lot of doodads and mechanics and adjustable cam timings, etc and require a bow press... a trad bow is simple and as such uses simple tools.

Comment

I went to a shoot in Denton, a there were some people there that help me. Collin County also has w/e shoots they can also help.

Some visit the GS so they will know better

Comment

I'm going to look around at Cabelas in Allen tomorrow, but it think I'm going to go by Outdoor Pro Shops in Garland when I have drill in DFW next month. They seem pretty established and traditional archery based.

Anybody used them?

Comment

http://www.broadheadbarn.com/ in Paris.

Comment

IMO most important issue is spine. Bare shaft tune first then fletch. Get your nock point set right and don't change point weight once you've found what works.

Comment

Come see me in Denton. I'll help get you lined out. --Give me a call 940-453-3894. Then we'll go to the range and make sure it's Perfect !

Comment

Working...
                              X