Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I crazy for not canceling baseball practice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    Cold weather doesn't give you the flu but it sure can affect the immune system and the respiratory system ....and if you are exposed to the virus, make you more susceptible. I just had a long conversation with my doctor about it two weeks ago at a checkup. His words not mine.
    Being indoors all the time around a bunch of sick people spreading their germs on everything will get you sick though.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
      If you will note I didnt say anything about the weather I played in but the weather my kids played in. And all of the studies Ive seen say there is no correlation between being in cold weather and catching the flu or the common cold.
      Google is your friend. See my last post. Doesn't have anything to do with "causing" the flu you have to be in contact to get the flu. Cold weather symptoms as listed above promote the spread of the virus.

Regardless of the flu piece there is no reason for 7 year olds to be in that weather for 2 hours for many reasons.

I think folks forget they are kids regardless if we think they are MLB bound.

Comment

No need to wonder why every generation gets more wussified! If your worried about spreading sickness keep them home from school, not staying in from the cold!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
          No! Cold weather doesn’t give people flu or a cold. Get their snowflake asses out there.
          Cold weather in a vacuum doesn't, but prolonged exposure to the cold can stress your system and present an opening for sickness if exposed to the germ.

Comment

Being indoors all the time around a bunch of sick people spreading their germs on everything will get you sick though.
            Nothing wrong with that statement.

Comment

I wish they would cancel this turn around, 10 stories up and no wind break is a tad cool. I would still have practice but more of a get to know each other type practice.

Comment

Man, do kids up north just stay indoors 4 months every year? Does kids ski school kill thousands every year and I just didn't hear about it? Apparently, children getting exercise in groups at temps below 50 is fatal and and here I had no idea

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                  Google is your friend. See my last post. Doesn't have anything to do with "causing" the flu you have to be in contact to get the flu. Cold weather symptoms as listed above promote the spread of the virus.

Regardless of the flu piece there is no reason for 7 year olds to be in that weather for 2 hours for many reasons.

I think folks forget they are kids regardless if we think they are MLB bound.
                  Did you not play outside when the temp was in the 40s when you were growing up? Those kind of temps never kept us from playing football outside or exploring the nearest pasture, creek, or pocket of woods. Maybe we were given too much free reign as kids. I guess Im lucky to be alive.

Comment

Originally posted by TXJIM View Post
                    Man, do kids up north just stay indoors 4 months every year? Does kids ski school kill thousands every year and I just didn't hear about it? Apparently, children getting exercise in groups at temps below 50 is fatal and and here I had no idea
                    A lot of good information to ad to the post there...

Comment

A lot of good information to ad to the post there...
                      About as good as the rest of the manure being spread around

Comment

All the time?....I think we were referring to a single practice....Are you strawmanning me?...

Comment

Did you not play outside when the temp was in the 40s when you were growing up? Those kind of temps never kept us from playing football outside or exploring the nearest pasture, creek, or pocket of woods. Maybe we were given too much free reign as kids. I guess Im lucky to be alive.
                          I lived outside. Wore out several red ryders to the point they wouldn't even shoot. Rain, snow, or shine we grew up in the pasture or on the river. There is a little difference in a 2 hour practice with a bunch of kids or spending some time playing in the snow.

I played multiple levels of sports and have seen just about all of it. 2 hours in this weather for 7 year olds to get a practice in is silly at best.

Comment

Originally posted by TXJIM View Post
                            About as good as the rest of the manure being spread around

Care to make any factual responses to the manure? Or you just sitting outside the fence throwing the manure?

Comment

By the way....you forgot to add swapping spit and licking each others spoons after they ate with sick people to drive your obvious point home more..

Comment

I lived outside. Wore out several red ryders to the point they wouldn't even shoot. Rain, snow, or shine we grew up in the pasture or on the river. There is a little difference in a 2 hour practice with a bunch of kids or spending some time playing in the snow.

I played multiple levels of sports and have seen just about all of it. 2 hours in this weather for 7 year olds to get a practice in is silly at best.
                                I see no difference in playing outside for hours on end vs spending 2hrs at a baseball practice. We will just have to agree to disagree.

Comment

Working...
                                X