Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

your weirdest encounter while in the stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was in a popup blind in Liberty county hunting a fenceline that deer liked to travel. About 30 minutes before dark I had to pee bad. I finished off a Gatorade and dropped to my knees and started peeing.

I look up and a coyote is in my shooting lane at 20 yds looking at my blind. I've still got my pants unzipped and the one-eyed finless wrinkle necked trouser trout is getting some fresh air. I slowly get my bow and turn to my right. As I start to draw he walked off down the fence out of sight.

I made a kissing sound and the dummy came back. He was facing me and i put an arrow right through his eye. I jumped up, got out of the blind, started to text a few buddies and then felt a nice breeze on my nether regions. Not sure if the 3rd eye helped my aim, but it sure didnt hurt.
    Last edited by Chew; 12-08-2017, 02:17 AM.

Comment

I have two stories to share....

1.) First one happen at Chaparral WMA when I was about 13 or 14ish. My parents would take us down there for Standby since we hardly ever got drawn in the system. This particular time we hunting in our department and not seeing anything, so we decide to drive around the pasture (mid-morning). All of sudden ,we heard a helicopter and it was the Border Patrol in the next pasture yell "U.S. Border Patrol get on the ground!" over the PA system. Then we saw 4-5 trucks circling the pasture looking for the illegals.

2.) I was on my Elk hunting trip in the Gila outside of Reserve, New Mexico on public land. My dad and I was sit on the powerline then all of sudden a car comes driving through the pasture yell, "Run Elk Run!". Sadly to say I didn't get an elk.

Comment

We were hunting near Reserve NM and found an abandoned car all shot up with a pile of crap on the drivers seat. Just saying.

Hunting 20' up in a lock-on I kept hearing something moving in the brush then realized it was a 6' Rat Snake climbing my tree. He crawled up right past after looking me over and went to one of his normal knot holes. I could hear the baby mice squeaking inside the knot hole as he fed, then moved to the next knot hole. When finished with my tree he crossed over to another big oak and continued feeding.
        Last edited by Thumper; 12-08-2017, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DimmitCo View Post
          Haven't read the other ones, but this one might take the cake. While walking back to get the truck and pick up a deer I shot in my evening hunt, I ran into this guy at dark. He said he was lost, I told him he was trespassing and needed to get off the property and sent him on his way to the nearest town...I didn't find out until later that night who he was and what he was doing in remote South TX:
          http://www.shawneedispatch.com/news/...ithout-parole/
          holy smokes!!!!!! Did he act weird? tell us more

Comment

Originally posted by Smithwr View Post

This is the winner my gosh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

your weirdest encounter while in the stand?

Well about 4 years ago. Hunting out in our deer lease in throckmorton/ Baylor county line. Shot a buck just 2 weeks prior to hunting that day. I sat 2 days and did not see a deer. I said what the heck is going on? After the hunt I decided to walk down to the overflow (run off of the Brazos.) as I walk up I see a silver Chevy equinox. Keep this in mind. We are 18 miles on a dirt road in BFE literally. Gates, cattleguards, roads splitting off ever which direction. As I approach the vehicle I get a little scared due to the fact it might be “ hunters” I scream, come out! Well I walk up to the little step down to the over flow. I look over and see a dead man lying there. Looks to be little older. So I take off running to go tell my uncle. (He’s a cop) anyways we called the cops, game warden ETC. come to find out it was a man missing out of garland thag you see “amber alert” the name was Hal ticknor. Idk how to copy and paste the story but you can see it on you tube, and or the internet. Just something your not suppose to find at the deer lease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Had just bought a small place in Burnet and was in a tree stand one evening. Had a few doe out in the field in front of me and was just waiting on the feeder to throw to see if that would pull them closer to me. About 10 min before the feeder was going to throw, this small one seater plane came in really low at the tree I was in barely clearing the tree before landing in my neighbor's field about 100 yards behind me. I got down from my stand and walked over to the fence to see what was going on. I see him pull the plane over to his barn and pull it inside.

I hadn't had time to meet all my neighbors and he was one of them. Met him shortly after and he had built a small plane and stored it out there. He rolled his pasture to make his own runway but over the years he quit storing it at his house and started using the Burnet airport instead. Before he moved it, he probably impacted 5 hunts over 10+ years so nothing to complain about.

Comment

On the best dove hunting ever in Paduacha, a truck starts racing down fenceline towards us. Old man jumps out and begins his ranting. We finally figure out he is the landowner, and "Bob" at the local resturant(Crackers) where we got permission to hunt, thinks it is funny to tell folks they can dove hunt on Farmer Joe's land and telling them it is his. We say how sorry we are and gather up our stuff, but LO says finish our morning hunt, but don't hunt any more. LO goes to his truck and gets stuck turning around. We were in a 2WD truck and didn't dare drive in the deep sand, so we still had to leave and take the LO home. He cussed "Bob" all the way back to town.

Back in my actual tree climbing, set on a limb, treestand hunting days I watched a bobcatwalk down the edge of the creek, then turn and head straight in my direction. He most have seen something around my tree cause he walked right up to the tree only 6-8 feet below me. That's when it got real interesting real fast, he had the same idea as me and started climbing up the tree. I started waving my arms and kicking my feet(it was still prime deer hunting time, so I didn't want to yell). He climbed down and walked backwards in slow motion never taking his eyes off mine. Once he got back about 15 feet, he sat down and tried to figure out what I was up in the tree. After a few minutes he turned and trotted off.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                    I was in a popup blind in Liberty county hunting a fenceline that deer liked to travel. About 30 minutes before dark I had to pee bad. I finished off a Gatorade and dropped to my knees and started peeing.

I look up and a coyote is in my shooting lane at 20 yds looking at my blind. I've still got my pants unzipped and the one-eyed finless wrinkle necked trouser trout is getting some fresh air. I slowly get my bow and turn to my right. As I start to draw he walked off down the fence out of sight.

I made a kissing sound and the dummy came back. He was facing me and i put an arrow right through his eye. I jumped up, got out of the blind, started to text a few buddies and then felt a nice breeze on my nether regions. Not sure if the 3rd eye helped my aim, but it sure didnt hurt.
                    FYI- coyotes abide by 'an eye for an eye'. 1st-3rd eye, it doesn't matter. Watch your 6 and keep your eyes peeled out there brother Chew.

Comment

I was hunting on our farm and I heard a animal in distress while I was in my blind. I waited about 30/45 minutes and went to check it out since it was totally killing my hunt. I walked up on a dog with his head stuck in a fallen cotton wood limb hole. I had to go to the house get a hand saw and cut him loose. He was fine but my hunt that day was done.

Comment

Originally posted by DimmitCo View Post
                        Haven't read the other ones, but this one might take the cake. While walking back to get the truck and pick up a deer I shot in my evening hunt, I ran into this guy at dark. He said he was lost, I told him he was trespassing and needed to get off the property and sent him on his way to the nearest town...I didn't find out until later that night who he was and what he was doing in remote South TX:
                        http://www.shawneedispatch.com/news/...ithout-parole/
                        That is crazy

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post

Crazy hunt and nice shot you still hunt like that for good luck

Comment

Yes, there's more...
                            Last edited by DimmitCo; 12-09-2017, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smithwr View Post
                              I was just giving the overview. Expanded version is my dad saw bunch of illegals crossing late afternoon at his stand, followed shortly after by this white guy. He texted saying they were all heading my direction. 2 hours later is when I had my encounter with him. My girlfriend at the time (now wife) was with me hunting, and we came across him crouching next to a pond at dark on our way back to the truck. She sees him about 50-75yds away and whispers asking who the guy is, then starts getting really uneasy. I tell her to walk back to the blind with my phone and I yell out "Hey bud, what are you doing out here". Literally silence as he gets up from the bag he was kneeling over, walks towards me hands in his pockets. I take my rifle off my shoulder (left my carry pistol back at camp...) as he's walking and angle it at 45 degrees between ground/him. Stop him at about 20yds and tell him to start talking about what he's doing on the property. He says he's lost, and his truck broke down. Asked him where his truck was and he pointed toward a ranch to the south. Tells me he's trying to get back to a town and can't remember the name but has a map. Naively, I lower the gun and approach him after he lights a lighter trying to show me the town on the map. Stand with him shoulder to shoulder looking at what he's trying to show me on the map. Turns out it's Catarina, about 2 miles from our lease.
                              Others may second guess about me trying to help him out, but the guy literally sounded scared ****less in his voice about needing to get back to town. Now knowing the story, I don't blame him. I knew that ranch like the back of my hand but even I wouldn't want to be a 7000 acre ranch, alone, no flashlight, water, sleeping gear etc and miles from shelter...
                              Anyway, I tell him where the county road is, tell him he's trespassing and has to leave, then go back and get my girlfriend and go to the truck. Driving out, our lights catch him on the wrong road. My dad comes over a few minutes later and is like "Hey buddy, thought we told you to get the hell out of here already". Guy says he's sorry but got turned around walking in the dark. Dad points him on the road and says it will take him to town. Guy says he's thirsty and asks for water. Well we drank all the Gatorade and water during the hunt, so my dad hands him a beer that he had just opened and sends him on his way. We notified the ranch manager who then asked us for a description, which ended up matching the guy.
                              Turns out he had burned and abandoned his car in Catarina, was trying to steal a car to get to Mexico then took off on foot. Got turned around somehow and was heading back north across our lease when we came across him. BP and Dimmit sheriff got him walking back on the road to Catarina not long after we sent him off.
                              So sad for the girl's family but happy that he was brought to justice and didn't disappear into Mexico.
                              A few things learned:
                              1. I never leave camp without my pistol. A rifle is nice to have but in close quarters might not have done me much good. I can handle myself and was never worried about taking the guy if things got physical, but as my wife points out, it was pitch dark and he could have had a knife or a pistol and I wouldn't have had a great chance standing next to him if he got the jump on me.
                              Also, turns out that he fled Kansas with a shotgun and a duffel bag, and I don't doubt the Lord's intervention because he was kneeling over a black bag when he approached me but never took anything out (we never found the bag afterward btw...)
                              2. I was advised later that illegals usually aren't an issue unless it's a bunch of men and big backpacks. But if you see a white guy crossing then either he's running drugs or people and likely armed.

Comment

About 6 feet from the ground blind

Comment

Working...
                                X