No announcement yet.

Need help with Garner SP exotic hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did the Archery hunt last year and got off a few shots but no kills. Try to get over by the group lodges(other side of the river). Plenty of axis there and by the entrance.

Comment

Originally posted by TAMU1998 View Post
      Attached are pics of blind locations from Jan 2017[ATTACH]872601[/ATTACH][ATTACH]872602[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Do you work there?

Comment

Went there this summer with the kids. Tons of axis everywhere. Huge ones.

Comment

As stated, "search" for garner hunts on here and there are several threads. Different folks have had different experiences. If you are on the right hunt and in the right stand, you can kill a bunch of them. If not, it will be a long week. Earlier hunts generally have higher success rate as with most park hunts. Just like any other hunting, nothing is guaranteed.

Just know that they take you to/from assigned blinds and some of them have limited shooting lanes for safety purposes. Totally understandable. They try to concentrate the stands in areas where the axis are most commonly seen. My son hunted stand #2 on the map above. We could only shoot straight east in about a 40 degree window. Had 2 pass by on the left the first night (outside that window) and had a small herd go directly behind us at 40 yds. Just the luck of the hunt I guess.

The park has been culling axis but I was there recently and there are still alot of them. Good luck and just enjoy the hunt. There are lots of axis there and you may be one of the lucky ones that's in the "hot" stand....

Almost forgot, they recommend the molasses hay (chaff hay I believe) to draw them in. We picked some up in the feed store in Leakey after we checked in.

Comment

I stayed up there this summer as well. The Axis love love love marshmellows. I put them out everyday and watched them vacuum them up. Funny watching them eat them.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
              Do you work there?

No, took pics of the maps during my hunt there last year. Slow hunt while I was there. Never saw an axis or even a whitetail to pass the time.

Comment

I hunted there a 3 years ago. I hunted in the campgrounds and did well. It was more of a shoot than a hunt, but the axis meat was very good.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by cwbow View Post
                  No help but should be high success rate.
                  Was there last January, and the success rate is very low. Mainly because of the way the run the hunts in my opinion. They drive you to your blind, designated, drop off and pick up times, blinds are practically right next to each other, can't blood trail your own deer, the list continues.

Comment

Originally posted by TAMU1998 View Post
                    Attached are pics of blind locations from Jan 2017[ATTACH]872601[/ATTACH][ATTACH]872602[/ATTACH]

I was there last Jan and drew #4. Saw pigs the first night, then nothing. Not even a whitetail.

Comment

That’s disappointing how it sounds things are being ran!
                      Drew South Llano SP two years ago and it was very well run. They were very helpful and really wanted you to get something. They had a nice cleaning station. They even were there to assist with that if you needed.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHunter12 View Post
                        That’s disappointing how it sounds things are being ran!
                        Drew South Llano SP two years ago and it was very well run. They were very helpful and really wanted you to get something. They had a nice cleaning station. They even were there to assist with that if you needed.
                        Was Gilbert still there. He was the biologist for Walter Buck...when it was Walter Buck.

He may have retired...very nice gentleman. he used to run the hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                          Never done it but believe people say you get dropped off in blinds and have to stay in them. Use to be high success rates but not anymore since they started whipping out the axis with choppers the last few years...

In for responses
                          They can't just give out more tags/hunts instead of mowing them down? Good job TPWD.....

Comment

Working...
                          X