No announcement yet.

Somerville WMA 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, besides other hunters, what did everyone see? I saw two yearlings, one was a nubbin buck (spike that's still in velvet), and I think the other deer was a yearling doe. They were travelling together. Both deer were tiny so I passed, but I had each at probably 12 yards. It was a good morning.

The east parking area on CR 134 was packed, at least 10 vehicles. I apologize to the guy in the ground blind that I walked past in the dark, but you really didn't leave me much choice since you set up 100ish yards down the main trail off the oil well pad. I'd waste a good 10 minutes trying to avoid you, so unfortunately, I'm going to keep walking that trail whether you are there or not. I'm assuming you knew that would be an issue, though.

I didn't hunt this evening, but I'll be back out there tomorrow morning. I got stopped by the game warden not long after leaving the parking/entrance area. They (a guy and a woman) were nice.

Comment

Well evening hunt was cramp as I was told by yet another hunter that the place I put my ladder was the place he has hunting for the last 10 years. I saw his blind, but it's been there for years and looks pretty rag tag. At least I got to hunt there in the AM, unfortunately on the wrong side of the tree to kill a doe at 30 yards. Moved the ladder twice today and I'm beat. Did see one buck very briefly as I think it was bedded by my final spot and got up and took off grunting at about 5pm. Going to have to make the two mile hike to the only other spot i know and sit on the ground I guess. FML

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

This season is going to be a long one. It’s unfair to us veteran hunters to Sville WMA. All these new guys show up opening weekend not know right from left and walk in and throw a ground blind anywhere. Before you walk in with your ground blind (or blue chair) scout the area first. Don’t set your ground blind 50yards from me....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

New to hunting here

My wife and I are stationed in San Antonio and this seems to be the closest area to hunt. I'm looking for any pointers such as where is the best area to access or a general area to search for deer. I will be bowhunting. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Somerville WMA 2017-18

Originally posted by brenterw428 View Post
            My wife and I are stationed in San Antonio and this seems to be the closest area to hunt. I'm looking for any pointers such as where is the best area to access or a general area to search for deer. I will be bowhunting. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Best advise I could give you... for your sake, my sake and ‘AdventureGuy’ sake oh and not to forget Rattler [emoji23]... don’t set where someone already has stands out. If you see someone at the designated parking areas and you’ve never been there, ask for a direction they’re going and don’t go that way. Go during the week....in November. There’s more yahoos down there than should be allowed. We’ve had random gun shots flying by this weekend (no firearms aloud other than shotguns for duck, dove, rabbit and squirrel) let the weekend Walmart hunter crowds die before you make your trip. It’ll save you a headache and will keep
            Someone from having a hunt busted.

Comment

Hey everyone new to TBH but not new to somerville wma, shot a nice buck out there last year. I have done my scouting and will be hunting mid week 2-3 times a week. Wasnt able to make it out yesterday for opening day unfortunately but wondering if anyone laid eyes on any deer/hogs. Be out there wed. Cant wait.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by brenterw428 View Post
                Its hard to find a good spot for a ground blind, so find the lightest climbing stand or hang on you can buy.

But another place you may want to check into for next year is Camp Bullis. Its a lottery hunt, but if drawn I believe you can find a location and leave your stand out all season.

Sommerville is public, so you have to pack out the stand or risk it being picked up.

Comment

Last year i had 2 trips ruined by a pack of domestic dogs running around barking and fighting.they almost caught an arrow i was so mad. Has anyone else had a problem with them?

Comment

Originally posted by doublelungem97 View Post
                    Last year i had 2 trips ruined by a pack of domestic dogs running around barking and fighting.they almost caught an arrow i was so mad. Has anyone else had a problem with them?

Yes and it’s safe to say, the threat has been eliminated

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggwild View Post
                      Yes and it’s safe to say, the threat has been eliminated

You just violated one of the 3S's

Comment

Somerville WMA 2017-18

GW and Park police got involved. Since my last call to them dogs have disappeared.

Comment

GW and Park police got involved. Since my last call to them dogs have disappeared.

Awesome that adds alot of hope to my hunts this week!!

Comment

Wouldn’t of been such a bad deal if the dogs only ran pigs and raccoons. But never did.
                            They were always on a bucks arse running him ragged. I had them and deer run under me. By location I seen them it would have been my guess it was a well known land/business owner in the Burleson Co area. Since late last yr and as of today have not seen nor heard them

Comment

Wouldn’t of been such a bad deal if the dogs only ran pigs and raccoons. But never did.
                              They were always on a bucks arse running him ragged. I had them and deer run under me. By location I seen them it would have been my guess it was a well known land/business owner in the Burleson Co area. Since late last yr and as of today have not seen nor heard them

Great. I beleive it was last November, the weekend after i shot my buck. Should add to our success rate is in 2017-2018!

Comment

Originally posted by doublelungem97 View Post
                                Great. I beleive it was last November, the weekend after i shot my buck. Should add to our success rate is in 2017-2018!

The 10pt?

Comment

Working...
                                X