No announcement yet.

Toughest animal you’ve seen in person

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was trapping black bears for research and attaching radio collars to sows. I used snares chained to a tree and checked them early every morning. Most bears would just sit there or climb up and down the tree base until they were darted, measured, and released.

I caught one big boar that tried to chew his paw off. 3 digits down to the bone. After I cleaned it up as much as possible and covered it with antibiotic ointment, he went on his way after the drugs wore off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

when I was about 12 I shot a possum in the backyard with my pellet gun. I had to shoot that thing about 8 times before it finally died. pumping my old crossman up like a frantic crack head and putting one .177 7 grain pellet after another into the poor thing... that was the last possum I ever killed.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
        when I was about 12 I shot a possum in the backyard with my pellet gun. I had to shoot that thing about 8 times before it finally died. pumping my old crossman up like a frantic crack head and putting one .177 7 grain pellet after another into the poor thing... that was the last possum I ever killed.
        Opossums are tough. That reminded me of one I killed one time. I don't remember how many times I shot it but I'm wanting to say 11 or 12 with a Ruger 10/22. I could hear bullets thumping it so I knew I was hitting it. That sucker just started walking around in circles. I finally ran up on it and shot it in the head.

Saw two of my buddies shoot a opossum almost simultaneously with .22's and if ran off. I don't know how they're so tough but they don't give up the ghost easily. I think the trick is a head shot. Every opossum I ever smoked in the noggin right off the bat was down for the count.

I've seen some pretty tough porcupines and all jokes aside beavers are tougher than nails too. I've heard people talk about how tough badgers are but I've shot literally hundreds of them and only a few took more than one shot to kill. If you run up and thump one in the head with a jack handle it'll go bye,bye pretty quick.
        Last edited by okrattler; 10-13-2017, 11:14 PM.

Comment

I had a cur dog once named Buster..Tied in the back of a half ton truck..Fell over the side after a left turn on Ovilla road.Back right tire got him twice.Ripped a bunch of skin off him,and crippled him a bit..Neighbor shot him four times with a .22...3 pass throughs.One still in him.(the man was almost 90)thought he was a yote..Emptied a full Marlin magazine..I beat him with an extension cord after he cornered some kids jogging down the road.I literally was trying to kill him..Bit an Ellis Co.sheriff deputy,and got maced.Hauled off by the animal control guy a few days later..Picked him up on Christmas eve after bailing him out of doggie jail..**** all over the front seat of a new Powerstroke,because he was so excited(no whoopin there) He ran to my garage one eve,around 7pm bleeding like crazy.Hauled him to the vet,fast as I could.He was dead when I got there.Buckshot pellets..He's buried under a pecan tree,off Shawnee road..Man,I miss that dude.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Another vote for nilgai. My brother researched them and when they are wounded, their metabolism slows down to help them recover and heal

Comment

I would say nilgai also

Comment

Working...
              X