Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Panhandle Hunting Thread (5th Annual!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still at it, though only of the quail-bird variety. Was limping around tonight as proof. Nothing major, just sore muscles and an aging, out of shape man. Managed 2 quail partly due to lack of shooting skills and partly due to lack of quail. Was good to get out, though.

Wanting to kill another deer. Should I shoot a doe? Our ratio is fine if not a little buck heavy, and our numbers are still recovering. But, I'd like to actually kill something with my bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Heron View Post
      I'm still at it, though only of the quail-bird variety. Was limping around tonight as proof. Nothing major, just sore muscles and an aging, out of shape man. Managed 2 quail partly due to lack of shooting skills and partly due to lack of quail. Was good to get out, though.

Wanting to kill another deer. Should I shoot a doe? Our ratio is fine if not a little buck heavy, and our numbers are still recovering. But, I'd like to actually kill something with my bow.
      That's what my delima is. I want to shoot one with my bow. I could have shot a deer almost every time I go but they are all small bucks. The does that I want to shoot skirt around me just out of range because the small bucks run them off. I had a big 8 come in tonight that never gave me a shot though I think I let him go because he has a g2 broke off. 2 does came in after the bucks left and never gave me a shot either. Seemed there always facing away or behind a tree.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech1233 View Post
        I took my little hunting buddy up and we hunted the last few days. Wednesday was dang cold! Just like coldgas said, lots of deer moving but just young bucks and does. I can’t wait for my little guy to pull the trigger but for now he’s just tagging along. These trips with him are my favorite!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Congrats on the doe!

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech1233 View Post
          I took my little hunting buddy up and we hunted the last few days. Wednesday was dang cold! Just like coldgas said, lots of deer moving but just young bucks and does. I can’t wait for my little guy to pull the trigger but for now he’s just tagging along. These trips with him are my favorite!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I love seeing pics of short people holding deer! Starting them right.

Comment

Originally posted by coldgas View Post
            That's what my delima is. I want to shoot one with my bow. I could have shot a deer almost every time I go but they are all small bucks. The does that I want to shoot skirt around me just out of range because the small bucks run them off. I had a big 8 come in tonight that never gave me a shot though I think I let him go because he has a g2 broke off. 2 does came in after the bucks left and never gave me a shot either. Seemed there always facing away or behind a tree.

I don't think there's any issue in taking a doe. It's all in what you feel comfortable about. I personally like to take out the bully does or the ones that always pick me off.

"If she blows, she goes!"

Comment

Im still at it as well freezing my butt off this weekend. My goal is to take a doe or 2 to fill the freezer. Have a lot of young bucks as well. Havent seen a mature buck in the daylight yet this year.

Comment

Headed up this morning to do some work and pull camera card.
                I’ll sit tonight hoping I cross paths with that boar.

I’d appreciate a weather/road report.
                Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Clark View Post
                  Headed up this morning to do some work and pull camera card.
                  I’ll sit tonight hoping I cross paths with that boar.

I’d appreciate a weather/road report.
                  Thanks
                  Roads were fine this morning no wet stuff here yet just cold and windy
                  I am in Collingsworth county

Comment

Originally posted by Wbeene13 View Post
                    Roads were fine this morning no wet stuff here yet just cold and windy
                    I am in Collingsworth county
                    Thanks.
                    Pretty wet in Abilene now.

Comment

I can't think of any portion of the TX Panhandle where killing a whitetail doe would be wrong. Granted, serious population control is site specific and should involve some data, but to fill the freezer and feed the family...fire away. We typically put up around 10 per year. A buck maybe every other year or every third.

Comment

I have no problem with killing does. I grew up hunting in the Hill Country and have seen what overpopulation can do. But I've also enjoyed seeing deer this year and wouldn't mind having more around. Probably wont hurt anything if I take just one.

Comment

My wife bought me a kegerater for Christmas so I think a big ol brew and a warm house sounds good this evening.

Comment

I will be closing out the season by going down probably Thursday. Cull on the menu!

Comment

Originally posted by Clark View Post
                              Thanks.
                              Pretty wet in Abilene now.
                              Man I would watch the back roads was slicker than hell for me just south of there Quitiquae to Estellene. Got puckered up at least 3 times. Once to 287 it was good.

Comment

Main roads were still good this evening backroads were a little slicker. Have a solid dusting of snowbin Shamrock right now

Comment

Working...
                                X