Private Pilot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private Pilot

Is anyone else here on TBH a Private Pilot or work for the airline company/private companies? I am about 12 hours in and about to solo, I have been studying but need to start taking practice test. I am looking for the next step and the difficulty of becoming an airline pilot or a company pilot.

Thanks for the answers!

The only difficulty is financial ( in becoming an airline or company pilot)
    Get that instrument as soon as you can

Comment

Yakfishin is. He could prolly answer your questions.

Comment

What's your age? Is being a pilot really what you want to do? The pay sucks for many years so get use to being less than a fast food worker. I have a bunch of old study materials I will give you if you promise to pass it on to the next person. I am on the private side and I would never go to the airlines.
        Last edited by Yakfishin; 06-04-2018, 03:11 PM. Reason: A

Comment

You need many, many,many multiengine commercial hours. Best way to get that is military There is a school in Fla believe it is Embry Riddle University where you can acquires the nevessary ratings, but not the significant flight time required.

Comment

Ive been flying for 40+ years and echo all the above. First, no matter what do not stop till you get an instrument ratingThere is a shortage of pilots now so if this is a passion might work for you.

My perspective on airlines vs corp. is somewhat slanted but airlines are great way to build hours though to me isn't much more than a glorified taxi driver...at least initially. I've known many airline capts. and few that really loved it.

Corp. depends so much on who you work for, their flight philosophy and experience and personality . Can be a great gig in the right environment .Not so great if owners don't understand aviation. Irrespective expect to spend lots of time away from home.

What do you fly Yak?

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
              Ive been flying for 40+ years and echo all the above. First, no matter what do not stop till you get an instrument ratingThere is a shortage of pilots now so if this is a passion might work for you.

My perspective on airlines vs corp. is somewhat slanted but airlines are great way to build hours though to me isn't much more than a glorified taxi driver...at least initially. I've known many airline capts. and few that really loved it.

Corp. depends so much on who you work for, their flight philosophy and experience and personality . Can be a great gig in the right environment .Not so great if owners don't understand aviation. Irrespective expect to spend lots of time away from home.

What do you fly Yak?
              I like staying small I fly a 2017 cirrus. Flown a citation for a while but went back. Like you said above depends on who you work for. I love my job now only fly(work) about six days a month and I'm on salary. I know some airline pilots that are captains that make great money, but they are gone all the time. To be honest flying is not a passion for me. Used to work on them in the military and decided if I can work on them I can fly them.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry View Post
                You need many, many,many multiengine commercial hours. Best way to get that is military There is a school in Fla believe it is Embry Riddle University where you can acquires the nevessary ratings, but not the significant flight time required.
                Yes you do on hours, but that might be changing soon with the shortage of pilots. I to recommend going to a university. That puts you one step ahead and most majors require a degree

Comment

I have been doing it for 38+ years. All the above is good advice. Keep going until you have your instrument then find a way to build hours for your commercial.

The airline vs. corporate discussion has been going on for a long time. Right now the airlines have a big advantage in salary. Layoffs were a big issue with them in the past but not so much now or probably in the future. Like elgato said, corporate can be a good career depending on who you work for. Not as much money but better quality of life.

Your first big hurdle will be the commercial/instrument ratings so you can start getting paid for flying. Next will be multi-engine rating and finding someone to give you some multi and turbine experience.

Comment

Thanks for all the input, I have a degree but in business management. I would love to fly for a corporation or something small the being away from family is something I am not interested in.

I am close to gaining my license currently and just keep working towards it.

Comment

I got to 13hrs and at solo. Ran out of free time to finish. I swear I will someday

Comment

Who are you going through? I’ve been researching different schools and want to start. Im almost 33 so I know I’m starting late

Comment

Bumping this up for more info

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                            Bumping this up for more info
                            Buy a plane to build hours

Comment

Working on PP as well. About to finish up. I looked into ATP as I'd like to fly for a living. It's always been a passion of mine. Just can't imagine leaving my current job and making less than half I am now. No matter how much I love it, I've got bills to pay. Good luck to you, OP.

I will add that the written is a breeze. I spent $500 on a prep class and nearly killed myself studying the material. Got to the test and answered 40 of 50 without a doubt. Went back and worked on the ten I skipped and walked out with a 94. If there is a section that you are unsure of, don't worry too much about it. Clear it up with your instructor for practical purposes but don't worry about it on the test. Odds of being asked multiple questions on the same topic are slim. Airspace, Airspace, AIRSPACE!

If you're absolutely sure, look into ATP (Assuming Embry Riddle is out of the question). The course takes about 9 months from zero time. Total cost ( beginning with <80 logged hours) is about $75k (for the package with most multi- hours) and there are limited locations. You get your license/ratings (single-, multi-, commercial, CFI, CFII) and build hours by instructing for them once you are competent. Then they help with regional airline placement.

That was the way simplified version but worth a google. Despite having an ATP school location 2 miles from me, I just can't make it work. The 6 months while you are training is a full-time job. You will be either in class or in the air 10 hours a day M-F. At least that's what I was told. Seeing the ATP instruction planes flying over all day kills me. It's just not meant to be though.
                              Last edited by BlackHogDown; 06-18-2018, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X