Time Chain Tensioner ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time Chain Tensioner ?

I’ve got a 2014 Nissan Frontier that makes a chatter/rattle noise for 2 seconds only after a cold start. You can kill it and turn it back on and not hear it. It won’t do it after sitting at work all day. Only cold start. I took it to a local shop that does free diagnostics & tell me its timing chain tensioner until it builds up oil pressure then sound goes away. It’s still got power train warranty so take it over to Nissan & they are telling me it’s radiator shroud broken & loose and at start the fan hits it at high speed but then when engine warms it settles back??? I told him I don’t think so as I can kill it immediately before engine warms and fire it back up and don’t hear it. I asked why doesn’t do it after every start??? He couldn’t answer. They want to charge $305 to fix something I don’t even think is the problem. Can someone with more experience explain this possibility? I’m not buying it. Help please

I have the same tensioner issue in my Hyundai Genesis. Have asked several professionals about including Hyundai and deduced is just a bad design flaw. They can fix it for about $2k but most of the techs say its more annoying than anything major.
    I switched to synthetic oil and it quit for awhile but now doing it again.

Go to forums where real people talk about their car issues and you'll usually find better answers than dealers have.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
      I have the same tensioner issue in my Hyundai Genesis. Have asked several professionals about including Hyundai and deduced is just a bad design flaw. They can fix it for about $2k but most of the techs say its more annoying than anything major.
      I switched to synthetic oil and it quit for awhile but now doing it again.

Go to forums where real people talk about their car issues and you'll usually find better answers than dealers have.
      That last line is sad but true.

Comment

Yeah I’ve seen service bulletin related to older models. Seems like latest model was 2010 that talked about timing chain tensioner issues. However, I’m more frustrated with a poor diagnostics in my opinion trying to blame it on radiator shroud. I should hear contact noise at every start if it’s a fan blade making contact. Not just cold start related. Is it just me or are they trying to dodge real issue here? I guarantee they would not replenish $305 if they fixed shroud & I still experience issue at cold start.

Comment

I had the same issue on my F-150 and thought that was the same issue with the tensioner from what i read on the web. average $3500 fix. Turned out to be a sticking lifter from junked up oil. Mechanic ran some sort of system cleaner through it twice and haven't heard it since. Luckily much cheaper fix.

Comment

For the record, this truck only has 31k miles on it. Just wondering if any mechanics on the green screen can help explain their rationale on the diagnostics versus what local shop is telling me on the tensioner? I’m no expert but doesn’t make sense to me on the broken shroud & fan blade scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
              For the record, this truck only has 31k miles on it. Just wondering if any mechanics on the green screen can help explain their rationale on the diagnostics versus what local shop is telling me on the tensioner? I’m no expert but doesn’t make sense to me on the broken shroud & fan blade scenario.
              shroud and fan noise should be pretty easy to rule out.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                shroud and fan noise should be pretty easy to rule out.
                I would agree that this noise would be heard after every start. Not just very first start in the morning. I can kill the truck after very first cold start and start it right back up with no noise heard. I trust the local shop & they are very good and popular place around town. Just seems like things aren’t matching up. The tensioner makes more sense being a cold start only issue. How do you deal with a dealership service center that saying something different?

Comment

Is your fan shroud broken?

Comment

Take the fan shroud off...take to dealership and park overnight. Have him standing there when you go up there the next morning and crank it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                      Is your fan shroud broken?
                      I haven’t verified myself. Based on diagnostics from them. I guess I’m hung up on the explanation of fan making contact but only after cold start? I’ll check things out once I get it from deallership

Comment

Working...
                      X