Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lease question...how many acres per hunter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at 500 acres in concho county. Will be 2 guys but want to kill at least 4 bucks with kids. Farm country with lots of brush. I know the deer are there but want to make sure we don't over do it. We have always had multiple places to hunt to spread the love but looking to combine efforts for next year.

Comment

I think it depends. There are lots of variables that could be at play on any given piece of property and your goals as hunters. There are two of us on our lease. It's right at 300 acres. We could add one more and still be comfortable and would have enough deer to support that many hunters provided we don't fill our tags, which we never do.

Comment

Originally posted by jaspermac View Post
        Looking at 500 acres in concho county. Will be 2 guys but want to kill at least 4 bucks with kids. Farm country with lots of brush. I know the deer are there but want to make sure we don't over do it. We have always had multiple places to hunt to spread the love but looking to combine efforts for next year.

500 acres is enough to hunt 3 people if you aren’t worried about getting the deer to max age and potential. 2 people is ideal for 500 acres with 2 management minded people and passing deer if they don’t Meet age restrictions.

I took over my family’s ranch 6 or 7 years ago from a 3 hunter lease with kids and grandkids shooting and I didn’t shoot a good buck for the first 3 or 4 years.

They probably had more fun than I have had managing 500 acres so I guess it’s all relative[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Black Ice; 02-04-2018, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Depends on how many people hunt the surrounding area and what they are shooting. If you're only shooting mature bucks I wouldn't expect to shoot more than 2 a year unless the neighbors don't hunt. The number could vary from year to year depending on what you're seeing. I hunt 240 acres with my dad and brother and we didn't take any bucks this past season but we got 2 in 2016 and I'm thinking we'll probably take 2 this year. We only took 1 from 2012 to 2015. We could shoot 3 a year without hurting the population but we're trying to let them get to 5.5 or older

Comment

Where at in Concho County? We have about 300 acres of family land south of 87 off of 3053. We have so many deer it’s crazy, but a 130 inch buck would be huge for us. Axis is another story. I have several pics of 34 inch or more bucks. My brother killed a 32” last year. I mainly shoot does and am holding out for a hoss. Passed on several smaller axis bucks this year. I’ve seen over 40 different deer in one sit.

Comment

Acres aren't the main concern. How many shooter deer can you realistically expect to have on the place every year?

Comment

We have 640 acres in concho county with 5 people. I think we would be better off with only 4. Only two killed bucks this year and 1 of those should have walked.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                  Acres aren't the main concern. How many shooter deer can you realistically expect to have on the place every year?

I think acres does matter. But not in terms of crowding hunters. But rather how many acres do they average per deer?

10?
                  15?
                  20?

And how many acres SHOULD they average per deer based on habitat? Then you can figure out how many deer you should shoot every year for conservation and sustenance.

Comment

We hunt 5 on 575 acres. All bowhunting. This is not in Concho, but in Blanco, for clarity. We have deer that show up at only one feeder, some that hit 2, and very few that have appeared at 3. So, I think we're in pretty good shape with our approach.

Go to TPWD and use their tool to box in the property for the tag estimator. I think that would give you a decent idea of harvest potential for the property in question. https://lma.tpwd.state.tx.us/tag-estimator

Comment

Originally posted by afishinman14 View Post
                      I think acres does matter. But not in terms of crowding hunters. But rather how many acres do they average per deer?

10?
                      15?
                      20?

And how many acres SHOULD they average per deer based on habitat? Then you can figure out how many deer you should shoot every year for conservation and sustenance.

Yep. Same difference. Focus on the deer population.

Comment

Originally posted by Jared.King View Post
                        Where at in Concho County? We have about 300 acres of family land south of 87 off of 3053. We have so many deer it’s crazy, but a 130 inch buck would be huge for us. Axis is another story. I have several pics of 34 inch or more bucks. My brother killed a 32” last year. I mainly shoot does and am holding out for a hoss. Passed on several smaller axis bucks this year. I’ve seen over 40 different deer in one sit.
                        I'm up toward doole by the lake. We do have a couple wheat fields that will draw the deer in for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by jaspermac View Post
                          I'm up toward doole by the lake. We do have a couple wheat fields that will draw the deer in for sure.
                          The number swill def be there in that area. Prob not many giants but plenty of deer for the kids and a target rich environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                            Go to TPWD and use their tool to box in the property for the tag estimator. I think that would give you a decent idea of harvest potential for the property in question. https://lma.tpwd.state.tx.us/tag-estimator

Wow! I didn't know about this! Just did it for our lease and it recommended:

18 antlered bucks
                            7 spikes
                            49 does

On 3200 acres.

We can't even shoot that many according to state bag limits (only 10 members). But or ratios are the same. And honestly I'm not sure we need to take that many. We've found a sweet spot at about half that. Rocksprings area.

Comment

Working...
                            X