Home Gun Cabinet from pallets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Gun Cabinet from pallets

Built this guy last year after looking at a bunch of pallets laying around the office. The beauty is you don't have to be that careful with the wood the more worn it looks the better.

Last edited by teamluhnacy; 11-05-2009, 10:40 AM.

Very nice...did you burn the wood / stain / or both?

Comment

nice, I started to make one like that one time but I lost interest. You did a really nice job on this.

Comment

That's nice, is it possible for you to go into a lil more detail on how you built it?

Comment

Most of the work is in pulling the pallets apart with destroying the length of the boards.

I basically built a frame out of the 2x4 portions of the pallet. And then used the 1x4 boards to cover the outer edges. It's built in two pieces. Its kind of hard to tell but the ceilings in this room are 11ft so this guy ended up being just over 8ft tall. I used a finish nailer so they went on pretty quick. I also built a desk for the office/hunting room out of pallets that turned out really nice. I'll get some photos of it when I get the room cleaned up a bit. I put quite a bit of work into both of them but it was worth it in the end. I love the rustic look.

The wood was burnt some around the edges and then stained. I used a light oak stain that a friend had left over from his house but it turned out to be darker than I had intended. It gives it a little more finished look and seals the wood a little. I think it would look great without the stain as well. When you don't stain the wood have a lot a variences in wood color which can be very cool. If I had it to do over I would probably stain it with a clear or very light stain to preserve the natural colors of the wood but hey it was free.

The glass was cut at Lowe's and I got some images I liked from the internet and vectorized them (this was tedious) with Adobe Illustratror. I then took them to a friend who has a decal business. He had some left over glass bead vinyl he used on a store front one time. We reverse cut the decals and laid them on the inside of the glass so unless you are really looking hard it looks like frosted glass. Found the hardware on www.directfrommexico.com they have some really cool rustic hardware that is perfect for furniture like this.

When I first told the wife hey I'm gonna built a gun cabinet out of pallets she laughed and said where are gonna put it (as if I would have to leave the hideous piece of furniture out in the garage) now shes loves it because everyone that comes over ews and aws over it.

Comment

Very nice....

Comment

very nice work

Comment

Looks great. Never would have guessed it was out of pallets.

Comment

very nice work

Comment

that looks awesome

Comment

Very Nice

Comment

That looks great i love the look!!!

Comment

Nice job !!

Comment

looks good