No announcement yet.

Hey Oilfield Guys!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have a basic rundown of what the EPA is trying to regulate methane release via drilling? I heard a snippet via radio and have not read the details yet. I would imagine it is a further attack on public land permitting?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
      [ATTACH]735165[/ATTACH]
      lol...don't for a second think those folks aren't banking off O&G.

Comment

is the oilfield as down and dirty, ruthless, backbreaking work that it is made to appear from the outside? i've invested in plenty of small oil companies and they all seem to barely scrape by, as they continue to reinvest capital hoping for the big boom, yet the employees all have 6 fig salaries and stock options...without much net to show for it.

i'd love to have a year or two where i make 30-40k more than i do now. i'd be debt free and have enough to buy a small piece of texas.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
          Anyone have a basic rundown of what the EPA is trying to regulate methane release via drilling? I heard a snippet via radio and have not read the details yet. I would imagine it is a further attack on public land permitting?
          Doubt it's an attack. It's a commodity for carbon credits in Cali so there's money to be made from it. It'll make leasing and pmt a headache though off public land.

Comment

Originally posted by topshot View Post
            is the oilfield as down and dirty, ruthless, backbreaking work that it is made to appear from the outside? i've invested in plenty of small oil companies and they all seem to barely scrape by, as they continue to reinvest capital hoping for the big boom, yet the employees all have 6 fig salaries and stock options...without much net to show for it.

i'd love to have a year or two where i make 30-40k more than i do now. i'd be debt free and have enough to buy a small piece of texas.
            Yea if you start from the bottom on the drilling it's dirty, ruthless, backbreaking work. Drilling isn't all there is though. I've also never seen a company where everyone earned 6 figures unless they earned it.

That said I'm not really sure what the point of this post was?

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
              Drilling isn't all there is though. I've also never seen a company where everyone earned 6 figures unless they earned it. ?
              You just won't admit it lol

You have never seen someone make 100k and work a few hours a day and have more days off then most of us? I have and I know 0.2% of the amount of oilfield workers you do

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post

You have never seen someone make 100k and work a few hours a day and have more days off then most of us? I have and I know 0.2% of the amount of oilfield workers you do
                If only it was really that easy.

Comment

Originally posted by npe001 View Post
                  Hope it picks up offshore. Things in the Gulf are pretty weak, but the forecast looks promising if we can hold on that long...
                  Wow, looks like things are starting to turn up for us. There's got to be that silver lining on the horizon. Hang in there bud

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post

I don't know if I know anyone out here who makes 100k and doesn't work at least 12hrs per day and earned their positions. Of those that work 12hrs a day two guys on location barely make that and work 7/7 and are supervisors, two more work 14/14 and are THE bosses here, and the other four of us work around 300 days a year 12hrs a day. That's out of about 25 people on location.

I've been out here a long time and have yet to see someone make 100k year to "work a few hours a day and have more days off then the rest of us". If they do I highly doubt that person didn't hurt their bodies getting into that position.

Comment

Here is my congressmans statement on the EPA methane.

August 18, 2015

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

COSTLY EPA METHANE REGS DERAIL JOBS

Las Cruces, N.M. – U.S. Rep. Steve Pearce’s office statement following the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) announcement of its proposed rule to limit methane emissions from oil and natural gas development:

“In the already-stretched New Mexico oil and gas economy, these unnecessary, costly regulations will handicap development and derail new jobs,” said Pearce spokesman Tom Intorcio. “Thanks to the recent energy boom, natural gas production has created thousands of jobs nationally, lowered electric bills for hard-working families, and given a lift to American manufacturing. Despite the increase in U.S. natural gas production, methane emissions from wells have declined significantly. Existing state regulations, voluntary best practices, and innovation are responsible for this trend. Imposing more burdensome federal regulations is not the answer and will only lead to reduced natural gas production and higher utility bills. If this Administration really wanted to reduce methane emissions without hurting our economy, it could expedite permitting processes, which would allow America’s energy producers to expand and help create a healthy economy,” Intorcio added.

According to the EPA’s latest data, methane emissions from natural gas production have DECLINED 38 percent since 2005, a period when production increased by more than 25 percent. In addition, methane emissions from hydraulically fractured natural gas wells DECLINED 79 percent.

###

#NM

Comment

A hit piece from NYT

By JOHN SCHWARTZ
                        AUGUST 18, 2015
                        A little-noted portion of the chain of pipelines and equipment that brings natural gas from the field into power plants and homes is responsible for a surprising amount of methane emissions, according to a study published on Tuesday.

Natural-gas gathering facilities, which collect from multiple wells, lose about 100 billion cubic feet of natural gas a year, about eight times as much as estimates used by the Environmental Protection Agency, according to the study, which appeared in the journal Environmental Science & Technology.

The newly discovered leaks, if counted in the E.P.A. inventory, would increase its entire systemwide estimate by about 25 percent, said the Environmental Defense Fund, which sponsored the research as part of methane emissions studies it organized.

More at the link.

Comment

I don't know if I know anyone out here who makes 100k and doesn't work at least 12hrs per day and earned their positions. Of those that work 12hrs a day two guys on location barely make that and work 7/7 and are supervisors, two more work 14/14 and are THE bosses here, and the other four of us work around 300 days a year 12hrs a day. That's out of about 25 people on location.

I've been out here a long time and have yet to see someone make 100k year to "work a few hours a day and have more days off then the rest of us". If they do I highly doubt that person didn't hurt their bodies getting into that position.
                          We operate a gas plant in the barnett shale and I work with a couple senior operators who clear 100K and the schedule we work we only work half the year. But, I guess midstream work is different than upstream stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyRanchero View Post
                            We operate a gas plant in the barnett shale and I work with a couple senior operators who clear 100K and the schedule we work we only work half the year. But, I guess midstream work is different than upstream stuff.
                            It's different work but those that clear it have worked their way into that. Half the year working 12hrs a day is still quite a bit and more than 40hrs a week all year.

Comment

It's different work but those that clear it have worked their way into that. Half the year working 12hrs a day is still quite a bit and more than 40hrs a week all year.
                              Yes sir, that's what I meant to put. Our senior guy ( he trained me) has 40 years in the industry and the other has 20+. So, it's completely understandable when you see those guys make the big bucks because they're the ones trouble shooting the issues most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                                A hit piece from NYT

By JOHN SCHWARTZ
                                AUGUST 18, 2015
                                A little-noted portion of the chain of pipelines and equipment that brings natural gas from the field into power plants and homes is responsible for a surprising amount of methane emissions, according to a study published on Tuesday.

Natural-gas gathering facilities, which collect from multiple wells, lose about 100 billion cubic feet of natural gas a year, about eight times as much as estimates used by the Environmental Protection Agency, according to the study, which appeared in the journal Environmental Science & Technology.

The newly discovered leaks, if counted in the E.P.A. inventory, would increase its entire systemwide estimate by about 25 percent, said the Environmental Defense Fund, which sponsored the research as part of methane emissions studies it organized.

More at the link.
                                that's a crock... "leaks" and "emissions" are totally different. emission calculations are typically so over estimated under the fear of an actual release, and pending litigation from the EPA, the vast majority of operators give a huge buffer to prevent issues with regulatory agencies.
                                Last edited by kyle1974; 08-18-2015, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X