No announcement yet.

Back at the range :sad:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the gun chambered for 308 or 7.62 x 51?

I second the superformance being crap. I've tried 3 different calibers, none shot worth a flip. 243, 7-08 and 6.5CM. My CM is a 1/2 minute gun with Hornady black ammo, it turns into a 2 minute gun with the superformance.

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post

I second the superformance being crap. I've tried 3 different calibers, none shot worth a flip. 243, 7-08 and 6.5CM. My CM is a 1/2 minute gun with Hornady black ammo, it turns into a 2 minute gun with the superformance.
      I guess I was lucky with that ammo in my AR Creed(5 shot group)
      Attached Files

Comment

I have many rifles in many calibers, only one will shoot superformance

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post

I'll quadruple check when I get home

Comment

the case head swipe is an indication of either high pressure or timing off.
            a lot of carbine-length 308 ARs are over gassed.
            the primer craters can be a pressure sign but also the result of an over-sized firing pin hole in the bolt face, which is problem with a lot of DPMS 308s.
            VERY unlikely to be an ammo issue.
            Like any ammo, some guns like it and some don't. Many more people shoot Superformance successfully than don't. The ones that don't are typically louder about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
              My DPMS LR-308 is marked 7.62X51 on the barrel. I shoot .308 win ammo out of it only and my brass does not look like yours. I have not tried Hornady Superformance though.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                What'd you find?

If you gun is over-gassed, as many 308 ARs are, a heavier buffer spring is an easy and cheap way to tune that out.

Here's a good article about what you're seeing:
                link

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                  What'd you find?

If you gun is over-gassed, as many 308 ARs are, a heavier buffer spring is an easy and cheap way to tune that out.

Here's a good article about what you're seeing:
                  link
                  I didn't look.
                  I was hoping my buddy wanted to go hunting. He didn't.

I gave another friend 8 rounds of the Superformance ammo to shoot in his Delton AR. He says his gun leaves the same marks.

I texted the pics to the Gunsmith. He said it's normal, Hornady cases are soft
                  Last edited by Pushbutton2; 05-22-2018, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wade _s View Post
                    My DPMS LR-308 is marked 7.62X51 on the barrel. I shoot .308 win ammo out of it only and my brass does not look like yours. I have not tried Hornady Superformance though.

Just FYI, you should not shoot 308 Winchester ammo in a 7.62 x 51 chamber. It is just the opposite of the 5.56 versus 223 issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                      Just FYI, you should not shoot 308 Winchester ammo in a 7.62 x 51 chamber. It is just the opposite of the 5.56 versus 223 issue.

That is a first for me...what's the angle of a 308 generating more pressure than a hotter 7.62?? I just assumed the reamer specs would be identical.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

Just FYI DPMS told me that my rifle can shoot both .308win and 7.62X51 ammunition. Since they actually manufactured the rifle, I think I will take their word over yours. You can’t believe everything you read on the internet.

Comment

^ Lol take it easy.

Interested to hear the source of the issue, OP... Soft cases? I thought I read that other Hornady ammo wasn't being marked like that?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                            Interested to hear the source of the issue, OP... Soft cases?
                            Given what I've seen of 308 ARs and DPMS in particular, I'm skeptical of this conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                              Given what I've seen of 308 ARs and DPMS in particular, I'm skeptical of this conclusion.
                              I would've dismissed the idea if it wasn't coming from a smith. But then again, I'm not very knowledgeable regarding the topic... admittedly. Curious to hear what others have to say.

Comment

Working...
                              X