No announcement yet.

Calling predator hunters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually love the thermals for hogs and predator hunting when I am alone or just two people. I also usually sit in the stand after dark with the thermal and call for anything around while waiting on my ride back to camp.

I would like to be part of a team entering one of the big predator hunts in TX. This would help with calling as well as getting away from the thermal advantage.

Most folks think buy a thermal scope and you are good. That is not the case, they will still see and wind you before your scan turns them up unless they just come straight at the call. All of our thermal kills on Bobcats have been call charges. Coyote can be tough close in, fox are like shooting rabbit.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
      I actually love the thermals for hogs and predator hunting when I am alone or just two people. I also usually sit in the stand after dark with the thermal and call for anything around while waiting on my ride back to camp.

I would like to be part of a team entering one of the big predator hunts in TX. This would help with calling as well as getting away from the thermal advantage.

Most folks think buy a thermal scope and you are good. That is not the case, they will still see and wind you before your scan turns them up unless they just come straight at the call. All of our thermal kills on Bobcats have been call charges. Coyote can be tough close in, fox are like shooting rabbit.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
      I agree. Although I've never killed a fox or bobcat using thermal I know coyotes aren't as easy to kill with thermal as people think. In my opinion it's no different than shooting them during the day. They can see at night so it's one of those deals where you can't get away with a lot of movement. When you're hunting with a light the light is your camouflage. That's why once I start scanning I don't like to shut the light off until we've decided to move to a different spot.

I've seen guys scan with the light for a while and turn it off. That can work for bobcats because they're a little more inquisitive. They'll find a place to sit down and watch the call a lot of times. A coyote or fox could move in and be gone by the time you scan again.

Also I don't like the call or the guy shining the scan light very far away from me if I'm on the gun. If either one is too far away you can't see the eyes shining.
      Last edited by okrattler; 09-26-2018, 10:41 PM.

Comment

I'm in.

Comment

I'll shoot coyotes if I happen to call them in. But I specifically go after cats and fox most of the time I'll hunt them from the high rack but most catty places require sitting on the ground. To add to the fun mainly only use a shotgun. I've killed way more cats than I've killed coyotes in the past 4 to 5 years. To me just something about calling in a big Tom. Into shotgun range. I like them because are un predictable. They will pop up anywhere and do anything. I've had them just sit. I've had them sprint in like a fox. Always different.

Cats- small properties are great.
          Thick cover around dried creeks
          Brush piles
          Wind doesnt matter
          Use fast paced bird sounds. I like Tony Tebbe
          sounds that fox pro put out.
          Called in most right before dark.
          Because of their thin skin and beautiful hide
          Smaller predator rifles shine. Ie 22 hornet 22 mag
          I prefer a semi auto 12 gauge with thehornady
          coyote load of BB or regular #4 buckshot with a
          modified choke.

I stay away from the NV and thermal when calling predators. Yes its cheating lol. That's why most tourneys dont allow them. I would rather spot eyes across a field and get them in close. When I was a kid I would shoot at coyotes in the next county if I could see them under a red lense. 50 yards and in are the name of the game now. I still want a called coyote with my bow.
          Last edited by DWA; 09-27-2018, 04:52 AM.

Comment

I’ll add.

Sometimes less is better.
            If I’m coyote country I’ll have silent pauses in my sets. So if I’m calling for 20 minutes it’ll usually go like this. 5 min low volume, 2.5 silence, 5 min medium volume, 2.5 silence, and then I’ll usually go loud at the end.
            March in coyote country I’ll play a lot of pup distress.
            I use a lot of tony tebbes sounds.

Comment

When scanning with a light, I move it fast. Eyes pop out like crazy. Once you are on eyes, keep the light above it just enough to keep them illuminated. By keeping the light on them, they are coming in blinded. They will still come unless they are over pressured. If the eyes are slow and steady, it’s a cat. If they are bouncing all over the place, most likely a fox. Coyotes bounce too but not as much as fox typically.

Comment

What was everyone’s first successful predator call and kill?

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
                  What was everyone’s first successful predator call and kill?
                  Bobcat is the first thing I ever called in by myself. Missed at 25 yards with a .223....I needed a shotgun that day. Second was a bobcat I called in and killed at 35 yards with a .223. He came in,in about 45 minutes if I remember right. There for quite a while I killed way more bobcats than I did coyotes. I don't really know what I started doing different but I started shooting more coyotes and still do.

Comment

My first time out the Ranch I guided on bought a fox pro coyotes were out of hand. It was for client use. Well no one was using it so one after noon while dove hunter were out I said screw I’ll take it. Went and sat started call of course on a rabbit place had bunches of them. About 4 mins in a bobcat come flying out of the side of the Sendero and pounces on the decoy. Shot him. Picked up moved spots called again. At 25 mins I cut the call off to move again. A huge bobcat comes out to decoy shoot him he ran off. Was using a 17hmr at the time. Hooked ever since. Shot 4 cats and 5 dogs that season. Only time I would call was between groups. I never mentioned the Ranch had a call to the clients after that it was mine lol.

Comment

After deer hunting I turned on my Johnny Stewart CD player. It had a speaker on a long cable. We were shutting windows and loading up when I shined the light out one more time. I looked out of the scope and it was a bobcat about 40 yards from us. This is the part most of you won't like. I asked my girlfriend whose parents ranch we were hunting on if I should shoot it and she said she I could if I wanted to. I thought it was pretty cool looking and didn't shoot it.

Comment

It's kind of surprising to me that people even predator hunt in Texas more than a few times a year since The West Texas Big Bobcat Contest has taken off the way it has.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                          It's kind of surprising to me that people even predator hunt in Texas more than a few times a year since The West Texas Big Bobcat Contest has taken off the way it has.
                          For me it’s really the only hunting I do now for myself. I’d rather day hunt than night. I love to be able to watch what’s going on

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
                            For me it’s really the only hunting I do now for myself. I’d rather day hunt than night. I love to be able to watch what’s going on
                            I'll hunt birds and deer with my buddies but I'd rather be calling predators up than just about anything else. I think not being able to legally night hunt where I live makes night hunting that much more fun to me when I'm able to do it. Plus I feel like that's an opportunity to see a variety of things you don't normally call in during the day so you never really know what's going to show up. I think if I were able to hunt bobcats at night here I'd call in and kill way more than I do. It's kind of a hit and miss deal during the day.

Comment

I deer hunt but hogs and predators are a lot more fun.

Remington 204 32gr.
                              Savage 22-250 55gr.
                              Remington 6.5 140gr.

Comment

Man I miss varmint hunting! I use to go all the time but haven't in a few years. One thing that I always had success with when something would get hung up and wouldn't come in well enough for a shot was a mouse squeaker. I still have one in the door of my truck so when I am driving around in the pasture and see a varmint to get it to stop long enough for a shot.
                                Always use a red lens and keep it on them when you see eyes. It doesn't hurt to have 2 lights going at a time. Be quick to shoot they may not stay in for a perfect shot.

Comment

Working...
                                X