• Show
Clear All

I think he is 13 1/2"

Comment

He looks legal on my phone

Comment

I say yes!

Comment

I’d say he’s probably 14” inside. I’m a big fan of letting bucks get a little age under their belt and maintaining healthy herds, but if it isn’t legal for a kid to shoot that deer (especially with a bow) something is wrong with the regs. That’s not a half bad buck. I’d be tickled to get him with a bow.

Kids ought to be able to drop the hammer. We’re losing enough hunters as is, need to make it fun for the kids.

Comment

I shot one similar to that and he’s wider than you think. Guessed mine at 14 and he was 17! I’m guessing that one is closer to 14-15 but fooling you

Comment

Here’s another picture. My son is 16 & has only killed one deer. That was when he 10 shot him with a boom stick. So his real excited to bow hunt this year. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1951-compressed.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	24592866

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                He is legal
                No doubt.
                Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 09-25-2019, 09:48 AM.

Comment

It’s greatest inside spread of the deer unlike the mass measurement . You get the largest inside measurement. The bucks with the beams that turn in make them look not as wide but you have to look at that inside bend of his beams. And he is definitely over 13 closer to over 14 probably.

Comment

Originally posted by Black-N-Red View Post
                    Here’s another picture. My son is 16 & has only killed one deer. That was when he 10 shot him with a boom stick. So his real excited to bow hunt this year. [ATTACH]973739[/ATTACH]

pic is ideal position, except the ears are a little low yet alert ... using this pic I would not shoot. Is slightly under or right at the 13 mark. Then again, are every deer's ears the same size??

Comment

Originally posted by uncle jesse View Post
                      Whatever you decide, you are influencing your son and his future decisions.

If the buck measures 12 3/4",

How will your son feel?
                      Will he think it's an illegal deer?
                      Will he think it's ok to shoot illegal deer in the future?
                      What will his friends think?
                      Will he/you want to mount an illegal deer?
                      etc

Bottom line, we/you need better pics. Evidently you have some concern because you requested opinions from the G/S

Good luck to your son
                      ^^This.
                      What happens when he measures under 13"? Opportunity for a valuable life lesson right there. Will you Keep the secret between the 2 of you? Call the GW?

And going off your 2nd pic, I would not shoot.

Comment

close call and a hard one to make with a child involved.

Comment

Is it worth the risk for you? If it turns out it’s not legal, you have to choose between calling a game warden and probably having his trophy confiscated and citations issued, or doing something illegal and likely influencing his behavior in the future. I think the buck is probably legal, but I’d have a hard time drawing back on him.

Comment

let him walk and try next year.

Comment

I believe we’ll let him walk there’s, a few more out there. Now the problem is both my boys are fighting over this one. My 12yr put him on he hit list last year & now my 16yr say if he sees him he poking him. I’ve already told my 16yr that his brother called that deer last so..... He’ll have to pick another one.

Comment

I've always used the thought that if you have to ask the answer is no. It's possible that I've missed out on a lot of nice bucks, but at the end of the day I can sleep well knowing I did the right thing either way.

Comment

Working...
                                X