THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmm never got a voicemail back from ya! But I'm sure I'll be back out there

I whacked a doe last Saturday night just before quitting time and all I found was a broken bloody arrow and no deer. searched for at least 3 hours and nothing not even a blood trail. Came back to the same spot and searched some more Sunday and still found nothing. got off another shot Sunday night but it went just under this time.

Comment

Originally posted by SanAngeloBowman View Post
      My buddy and I were covered up in hundreds of turkey all wknd but held off for deer. Finally airred out a couple birds on Saturday , missed a doe yesterday evening, and spotted some exotics. Shot my turkey at 40yds after passing on a doe that wouldnt give me a decent shot. Got whole thing on film but still need to edit this week. Very fun weekend of hunting.
      I live about an hour and a half away from San Angelo and was drawn on the GDE hunt at the park. Ive never hunted that area and am relatively new to the hunting game got my first deer last year. How are the deer in the park and where can you find maps of it. I may buy the public hunt permit and begin hunting there since i dont have a lease and really like some of the things im reading. Are you allowed to hunt the exotics.

Comment

Is TBR an archery only area?

Comment

rcopester

You can also hunt with shotgun during rifle season. Buckshot only, not slug. Guys, correct me if I am wrong but that has been the rule for a while now.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHORNZ View Post
            You can also hunt with shotgun during rifle season. Buckshot only, not slug. Guys, correct me if I am wrong but that has been the rule for a while now.
            That would be correct....buckshot only!

NOTE: Some parts of TBR during "Knuclehead" season can be pretty scary on the weekends if in an easy to access area!!! most of the "other" guys are lazy and wont venture into remote areas. They stay around where they can easily drive into. It is NOT uncommon to see people driving around with a car load of "Hunters" in lil' hondas or similar passenger cars. If you see this I highly recommend going to another area. Last year I had buckshot whizzing over my head several times during a hunt in area 2 after warning the guy (TBH'er) that it wasnt a place we should hunt on a wknd during shotgun season.

Tip: Use 4 wheeler or old truck you dont mind scratching up and find the thickest brush area in any unit that you can find. The shotgunners will run all the deer off into these areas while in the meantime they stay in the areas that are only easily accessed by their lil cars and show trucks

Good luck!

Comment

Sab

How's the hunting going this year?

Comment

Subscribed. I am interested in duck hunting TBR, as I have good places to hunt deer with bow and rifle. Any one on here duck hunt? I have a 15 foot John and a 10 foot fiberglass boat that I can use to get into nearly any area of the lake.

Comment

Hey guys I'm looking for someone to hunt with this weekend Friday morning through Sunday morning. I've never been out there and thought it would be easier to hunt with someone who knows the area. Just looking to stick a deer this weekend. Thanks a lot. Cameron

Comment

Originally posted by MurphyMID View Post
                    Subscribed. I am interested in duck hunting TBR, as I have good places to hunt deer with bow and rifle. Any one on here duck hunt? I have a 15 foot John and a 10 foot fiberglass boat that I can use to get into nearly any area of the lake.
                    Hafernick is the authority on duck hunting Twin Buttes. Call him out or send him a PM. He would limit out nearly every hunt out there.
                    San Angelo area is overlooked as a waterfowl "mecca", atleast for west Texas waterfowl flyway standards.

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
                      Hafernick is the authority on duck hunting Twin Buttes. Call him out or send him a PM. He would limit out nearly every hunt out there.
                      San Angelo area is overlooked as a waterfowl "mecca", atleast for west Texas waterfowl flyway standards.
                      Not sure I would go that far Charles, but I can tell you this, the four years I hunted there we were consistently killing more birds than anyone else. It would be much easier for me to explain where to go over the phone than on here. PM me for my phone number.

Here is our birds numbers by the years:
                      2006 - 536 (this year was just amazing)
                      2005 - 351
                      2004 - 300
                      2003 - 150 (this was the first year my duck hunting buddies and I found out about the Buttes. I did not hunt much this year.)

Comment

Originally posted by Hafernick View Post
                        Not sure I would go that far Charles, but I can tell you this, the four years I hunted there we were consistently killing more birds than anyone else. It would be much easier for me to explain where to go over the phone than on here. PM me for my phone number.

Here is our birds numbers by the years:
                        2006 - 536 (this year was just amazing)
                        2005 - 351
                        2004 - 300
                        2003 - 150 (this was the first year my duck hunting buddies and I found out about the Buttes. I did not hunt much this year.)
                        wow, I am very interested in talking to you. Do you not duck hunt TBR any longer? Can you PM me your number? My post count is apparently too low..

Comment

Originally posted by MurphyMID View Post
                          wow, I am very interested in talking to you. Do you not duck hunt TBR any longer? Can you PM me your number? My post count is apparently too low..
                          No don't live close enough to hunt there. PM sent!

Comment

Originally posted by TXHORNZ View Post
                            How's the hunting going this year?
                            been seeing lots of quality stuff at my honey holes. We've tagged several turkey and passed on many deer. Waiting for the big boys. headed out tomorrow for couple days.

Comment

What area are you hunting? I'm in area 4 and not having any luck

Comment

Originally posted by BearStrike2010 View Post
                                What area are you hunting? I'm in area 4 and not having any luck
                                Sorry bud but my personal hunting spot isnt up for everyone else . Ya just have to get out and put the time in scouting pre-season like I do. Ive given a bunch of good advice and how and general wheres to finding deer out there. Ive been around area 4 and 5 just recently and seen several good deer while showing other folks around. They are out there. You just have to be patient and have the will to get to places others dont or wont go. If you are traveling well used and worn roads your NOT in a spot I would hunt. Get OFF the beaten path and make your own. Create your own honey hole that the deer will want to come to.

Comment

Working...
                                X