Baitfish trap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shark79 View Post
    Yea I need to find some aluminum clips like they use on squirrel traps. Anybody know where to get them? TSC ain't got em.
    Amazon has the pliers for like 8 bucks and a 1 lb bag of clips for $5. I dont know how many clips is in a pound but it would have to be more than enough for 2 or 3 traps...

Comment

P7 stapler and hog rings will replace those zip ties very easily. Lots of uses otherwise.

Comment

Yea I need to find some aluminum clips like they use on squirrel traps. Anybody know where to get them? TSC ain't got em.
        Might try the feed store in Joshua, or Mann Ag (or whatever they call it now)?

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal View Post
          Amazon has the pliers for like 8 bucks and a 1 lb bag of clips for $5. I dont know how many clips is in a pound but it would have to be more than enough for 2 or 3 traps...
          Just ordered some.

Comment

Nope. I usually head to Whitney.
            I was on Whitney the day before.

A sailboat capsized on Lake Pat while I was out there yesterday. Had fire and water rescue there, and other first responders. All persons were accounted for. No one injured or lost. Just a little cold. Water rescue had to break the mast off so they could flip the boat upright and tow it back.

Comment

Trap looks great by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                Trap looks great by the way.
                It works. Checked it yesterday and already had a dozen or so in it.

Comment

Lots of memories building those with my granddad. The zip tie idea is great, would have save my fingers from tying them together with wire lol.

Comment

I got my clips and tool at Home Depot.
                    Make sure the funnel opening is not any larger than is allowed by TPWD rules if you are going to use it in public waters.
                    I bait mine with 20% cattle cubes in a little basket suspended inside.

Comment

Originally posted by buckfan50 View Post
                      It works well and all you need for bait is a crumbled up piece of aluminum foil! The glitter from the light hitting it really attracts the bream!
                      Really? I baited mine with range cubes.

Tear up a Styrofoam cup into big chunks (large enough they won't float thru the hardware cloth holes) and a slice of bread. The bread will attract the perch and once the bread is gone, the styrofoam will continue to attract more... they think it's bread.

Remember, the inlet openings can not be any larger than 1" X 3" each.

Good luck!

Comment

Great job! We figured out years ago it wasn't anywhere near cost affective to buy the traps with how easy they are to make. They are some dangerous suckers though when you're cutting them out. That mesh will poke the crap out of you! lol

Comment

Dividends!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Dividends!
                            Awesome!!

I might have missed it but what did you use for bait?
                            Last edited by Pedernal; 03-18-2017, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                              Awesome!!

I might have missed it but what did you use for bait?
                              Perch

Comment

That's about what I got last Wed on Lake Pat. Used med shiners.

Any females? I had all male fish. Wish I had bought more than 1.5 doz shiners. The grass ate half of my bait.

Comment

Working...
                                X