Rucking (Ruck Marching)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
    It is definately a different animal. A pack mule vs a race horse. I will forewarn that 40# is a pretty big jump from 25#. I adapted to 25# pretty quick too. I jumped to 35+ by walking a mile or two with it to get used to the load and it sits. You use different support muscles, especially in the hips as you go up. I now train with just the 35+ and when I day hike with actual gear, I feel like tye pack isn't even there.

I put on a 58# pack the other day and couldnt hold a steady pace above 3mph for even a quarter mile. The logistics of even getting the pack on was hard to work through.

What pack are you using?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Yea 40lbs might be a little aggressive but I will see what I can do. I have a Crooked Horned Outfitters backpack. There is no internal frame but it has a good lumber system. Never realized how loose I wear my straps until I put some serious weight in the bag. My frame pack is a Cabelas Outfitter frame pack. I had that pack for almost 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Raleigh View Post
      Yea 40lbs might be a little aggressive but I will see what I can do. I have a Crooked Horned Outfitters backpack. There is no internal frame but it has a good lumber system. Never realized how loose I wear my straps until I put some serious weight in the bag. My frame pack is a Cabelas Outfitter frame pack. I had that pack for almost 20 years.
      Just don't expect that you'll be able to just knock out a 6 miler with your 40# like you did with you 25#. I can't really describe it... but I noticed the weight at first in a lot of various areas that eventually built up the strength and endurance that I can't really remember. I recall feeling it in my feet more, etc. Now, slinging 40# up is no big deal and walking 10+ miles is not a huge deal... but when I went to that 55+, all those same weaknesses were felt again. I would not expect to whip out 6 miles right now with a 55+ pack. I have to ease into it... and will take it a few miles at a time until my body adjusts. And just like I know I need to use my Cabelas Outfitter frame pack (picked one up this spring) for above 50... I am thinking running shoes might not be the right idea either and I probably should do the smart thing and use a more rigid boot.

Comment

Under amour makes a wicked running/trail/hike shoe, I've had the same pair for a year and still have another year of heavy duty training them, pricey but certainly worth it and extremely comfortable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been meaning to post this. I did a little over 3 miles Friday at mineral wells state park. I did the first 1.5 miles with a 50# bag of gravel and then added two pretty big rocks that put me at 75-80#. I finished the hike with that. There is a lot of elevation and rocks to step over and stuff at mineral wells. So It was def a good Ruck

Comment

So you do this daily? Do you have a diet with it? How do you find time to go for two hours if it's daily? Interested in this to lose weight and get back in shape.
            Wonder if you do it 30-45 minutes every morning will work?

Comment

Nice, I haven't done it regularly, but I have started adding more weight when I go for hikes over the past few weeks, adding a 15 pound san**** to my pack on top of the normal things, so it's about a 30 pound load and I do between 2-4 miles when I go.

Any recommendations on a good quality and affordable pack for this stuff? I've seen the Alps Commander (about $130) but most other bags seem to be over $300.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post

I've been meaning to post this. I did a little over 3 miles Friday at mineral wells state park. I did the first 1.5 miles with a 50# bag of gravel and then added two pretty big rocks that put me at 75-80#. I finished the hike with that. There is a lot of elevation and rocks to step over and stuff at mineral wells. So It was def a good Ruck

Good job! What boots you wearing? I plan to hit Home Depot today for 50# bag of sand to get me started on the heavy rucks.
                Originally posted by DNTRanch View Post
                So you do this daily? Do you have a diet with it? How do you find time to go for two hours if it's daily? Interested in this to lose weight and get back in shape.
                Wonder if you do it 30-45 minutes every morning will work?
                I definately walk daily. Since I have an office job, lunch and breaks are when I do physical work. Between lunch and a couple 10-15 minute breaks, I can put nearly 4 miles a day right there. I dont carry weight for those.

Rucking is an morning or an evening thing. I get up an hour earlier and get an hour in. During the summer I have been spoiled because the kids dont need to get ready for school, so I had even more time.

I walk after dinner, etc. I walk with my wife and/or kids too, if they want to. The miles seem to come. I will even walk around the house. If I owned. Treadmill, I would probably walk even more

It seems I rucking 25 miles average a week. Will just have to break up my 2 hour morning rucks into 1 hour morning, 1 hour evening.

As far as diet goes, I just eat less to lose weight. Going to bed a tad hungry over the span of a few months paid off.

Originally posted by mobrien View Post
                Nice, I haven't done it regularly, but I have started adding more weight when I go for hikes over the past few weeks, adding a 15 pound san**** to my pack on top of the normal things, so it's about a 30 pound load and I do between 2-4 miles when I go.

Any recommendations on a good quality and affordable pack for this stuff? I've seen the Alps Commander (about $130) but most other bags seem to be over $300.
                The 5.11 Rush 12 I picked up new was $88 shipped. It has held up carrying 40# regularly. I like it as an everyday bag. I am also looking into the new gen ALICE packs for regular heavy rucking, but for now, will use a cabelas outfitter frame pack for the heavy stuff.

Comment

Good job! What boots you wearing? I plan to hit Home Depot today for 50# bag of sand to get me started on the heavy rucks.

I definately walk daily. Since I have an office job, lunch and breaks are when I do physical work. Between lunch and a couple 10-15 minute breaks, I can put nearly 4 miles a day right there. I dont carry weight for those.

Rucking is an morning or an evening thing. I get up an hour earlier and get an hour in. During the summer I have been spoiled because the kids dont need to get ready for school, so I had even more time.

I walk after dinner, etc. I walk with my wife and/or kids too, if they want to. The miles seem to come. I will even walk around the house. If I owned. Treadmill, I would probably walk even more

It seems I rucking 25 miles average a week. Will just have to break up my 2 hour morning rucks into 1 hour morning, 1 hour evening.

As far as diet goes, I just eat less to lose weight. Going to bed a tad hungry over the span of a few months paid off.

The 5.11 Rush 12 I picked up new was $88 shipped. It has held up carrying 40# regularly. I like it as an everyday bag. I am also looking into the new gen ALICE packs for regular heavy rucking, but for now, will use a cabelas outfitter frame pack for the heavy stuff.

I'm running lowa renegades. I have used lowa tibets the past 3-4 years. I have only had the renegades for 3-4 months and I can tell I like them a lot better. They are lighter and not as stiff.

Comment

Great info!!! Thanks, I'm definitely going to try this

Comment

Was at Academy today and they had the Rush 12 I use on sale for $87. Usually $99. I want one for just hunting, but I want it in multicam... just can't see spending $40 more for that though. Camo usually costs more, but still scratching my head why multicam is 40% more.

Comment

One last ruck this morning for what might be a while....

Outer band is just 15 miles south.

Comment

Added it all up and was able to get in 24 miles of rucking with the #35+ this week (M-F). The next 5-7 days will be a bust for sure. I think I might have to break out the bicycle and throw it on the indoor trainer and do some cross training this week.

Comment

I realized I haven't updated this thread in a while. With Harvey, work, etc I have been kinda busy. But, I have still been able to get my ruck marches in. I've just had to squeeze them in during openings in my work schedule. I pretty much was able to get in at least 20 miles of rucking a week.

This week has been excellent. I have heavy rucked 40 miles already in the last 4 days thanks to waking up early, walking kiddo to school in this cooler weather, and a long scout meeting near an outdoor track.

This week I finally got around to putting together a heavier ruck. I had been rucking 40# with the 5.11 Rush 12, but I didn't really want to push the weight too much heavier than that only because in doing so, I would be adding weight down my back rather than up my back. I think the bag can totally take it... but I also wanted to start using my Cabelas External Frame freighter pack. My goal is to get to 70#.

I had played with a few ideas... a 5 or 6 gallon water tote... sand in a tote, etc. All seemed too awkward. I did have a super large sized duffel that was just too bulky... but finally decided to make it work. I stuffed it with old clothes and then added some bricks towards the top. I lashed it in and was able to get it to about 52# to start off with. Carrying this weight seemed almost too easy because the frame is much better and getting the weight to the padded hip belt. The first day with it, I went 6.5 miles total and didn't really phase me too much other than having to tinker with strap tightness, etc.

So after 4 days this week, I've rucked 40 miles... 30 with the 40# pack and 10 with the 52# pack.

Comment

Funny how there is only a 10# difference between the two.

Comment

Nice setup, bet that wears different from the 5.11.

The Bataan crew is starting to wake up around here, so with the (hopefully) cooler weather we'll be getting out more often.

Comment

Working...
                                X